The New Pic Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The New Pic Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Pics. I can has moar?

Postby Metroid » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:59 am

StlSluggers wrote:This isn't a pic... but it is.

Check the screenshot at the top.

Whoops. :-B

Thats awesome! "My first sex teacher." :-b :-b
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dclark0699 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:13 pm

Metroid wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:This isn't a pic... but it is.

Check the screenshot at the top.

Whoops. :-B

Thats awesome! "My first sex teacher." :-b :-b

I don't understand how you can take the time to create a graphic and not notice mistakes like that, or like this one:

Yay Bucks! Welcoming our best and brightest class for the 13th year in a row!!! :-P
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:35 pm

Some are speculating that one of those sites worked with them to set this up, because the wtf site is linking to the same thing. They also have a screen capture that is different.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:24 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:How do real injuries make wrestling not fake? Wrestling is not a sport. The outcome is predetermined. If you want to watch choreographed violence with low production values why don't you rent a Dolf Lundgren video? no offence intended

No one ever said it was a sport. :-b Not like they all keep won/loss records (at least not public and not often - Goldberg's undefeated streak and 'Taker's Wrestlemania streak are exceptions to the rule). And yes, most of the endings are scripted, but things do change in matches where who wins changes mid-match. Raw is live, and the pay-per-views are live, so there's always interesting things happening that are/were not scripted. ;-)

What irks me is the people that think it's entirely fake. You know, the "none of that hurts", "none of the injuries are real", "none of the blood is real", type of people. A far larger percentage of things are real than most people believe.

These guys are athletes. Most people out there cannot do what these guys do (just try picking up 500 pounds of dead weight - not barbells - and lifting it over your head). So it's simply a matter of appreciating their ability, much like the Home Run Derby is simply appreciation for the hitters' ability. Not to mention that the majority of the time a major injury happens, these guys suck it up and finish the match (do the job that they are paid to do). Triple H ripping his quad completely away from the kneecap, having the muscle roll up in his leg unattached to the knee anymore, and still finishing the match is something that's got to be respected. And then he did it a second time when the other quad ripped away during another match. No other athlete in any sport out there would do that (with an exception for UFC, I don't watch, so I dunno on that one). They'd be done. Wrestlers are a different breed of athlete.

I've always said wrestling is basically a soap opera, but the difference is instead of everyone sleeping with everyone, they fight.

Speaking of things "not hurting" and "all injuries being fake", John Cena just had neck surgery today. Busted up a disk in his neck from a powerbomb Batista gave him (on that "fake" ;-7 ring that bounces, so surely it can't hurt to get slammed on it from 7 or 8 feet up in the air ;-7 ).

knapplc wrote:Here's the real reason people watch wrestling. Let's be honest:

Wasn't really a fan of Christy Hemme's (and her gimmick with TNA wrestling is just plain nasty! :-P ). I miss the days of Terri, Debra, Sable, and Torrie. Stacy was cool too and almost perfect, but she needed a moderate (and I said MODERATE - not crazy huge or anything!) breast augmentation. If she had any kind of chest, I might have called her perfect. Ah well, at least it appears Gail Kim will be returning to the WWE shortly. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Metroid » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:39 pm

Madison wrote:No other athlete in any sport out there would do that (with an exception for UFC, I don't watch, so I dunno on that one).

Wait you watch Wrestling but not MMA(UFC)? What the hell is the matter with you? :-b

Just giving you a hard time Mad. ;-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:50 pm

Nobody in here has ever said that the injuries are not real. It is "fake" because it is presented as a contest where one person wins and the other loses but in fact the end is predetermined and it is in no way a contest. It is "fake" because there is such a thing as real wrestling that is actually a test of skill, strength and stamina for which they give out Olympic medals.

The only way that it is not fake is that they don't use CGI for the stunts and it is not pre-recorded. They are real stunt men performing real stunts, live and in those circumstances it is dangerous and they can and do get injured. For this you have to respect them as performers but in the same way you have to respect ballerinas and circus acts that also get injured performing live. Ballerinas, circus freaks and wrestlers all get my respect. :-]
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 261)

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:00 pm

Metroid wrote:
Madison wrote:No other athlete in any sport out there would do that (with an exception for UFC, I don't watch, so I dunno on that one).

Wait you watch Wrestling but not MMA(UFC)? What the hell is the matter with you? :-b

Just giving you a hard time Mad. ;-D

I'd give it a chance (and have a few times), but I'm just not fond of the grappling. Most of what I've seen has been extremely slow paced and boring. Make them punch/kick/throw on a submission move, and I'm there. ;-D I was a boxing fan back in the Mike Tyson era. Hated boxers that clenched and tried to "survive" to the next round. Gimme a boxer that throws punch after punch and a fast paced fight and I am as big of a fan as anyone. That would go for any of the MMA promotions, but it seems I've been unlucky with the ones I have actually seen because they just haven't been all that fun to watch because of the slow pacing of it all.

Mookie4ever wrote:It is "fake" because it is presented as a contest where one person wins and the other loses but in fact the end is predetermined and it is in no way a contest.

Guess it's a matter of definition of fake then. Predetermined match winners (even though it doesn't always go as scripted) doesn't make what they do (the athleticism) any less real to me.

I've never said they were real contests, otherwise little bitty guys like C.M. Punk would never.....EEEEEEEEEVER (<--Chris Jericho reference).....hold a "heavyweight" title. Even I get a little miffed with the "fakiness" of some of it. Once it gets too extreme, it turns me off. Something like Punk holding the "heavywight" title and surviving and retaining the title in 2 seperate matches with Batista just flat disgusts me. Straight up "real" fight? Punk dies. Not hurt. I mean dead. There's just no logical way for Punk to have retained the title after two matches with him. I understand the reasoning as to why the WWE is running with it the way they are, but I don't buy it and don't like it. :-P

So it's all far from perfect, but it's entertainment. Some people are entertained by sitting on the foor (because they have no chair) of the basement of their igloos O:-) , some people like wrestling. It's all cool by me, whatever floats one's boat. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:03 pm

Oh, you reminded me - Rey Mysterio Heavyweight Champ. :-B

hey, why is my friendliness meter so low? :-? :-D
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 261)

Postby jfg » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:06 pm

Madison wrote:
I'd give it a chance (and have a few times), but I'm just not fond of the grappling. Most of what I've seen has been extremely slow paced and boring. Make them punch/kick/throw on a submission move, and I'm there. ;-D I was a boxing fan back in the Mike Tyson era. Hated boxers that clenched and tried to "survive" to the next round. Gimme a boxer that throws punch after punch and a fast paced fight and I am as big of a fan as anyone. That would go for any of the MMA promotions, but it seems I've been unlucky with the ones I have actually seen because they just haven't been all that fun to watch because of the slow pacing of it all.

Totally agree with this and I just don't get how something as slow paced as MMA has become so huge. 90 percent of the time it's two guys on top of each other working for submission and just like you pointed out with boxing, most of the time the guy who's losing is just trying to waste time to get to the next round. Boring.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:13 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Nobody in here has ever said that the injuries are not real. It is "fake" because it is presented as a contest where one person wins and the other loses but in fact the end is predetermined and it is in no way a contest. It is "fake" because there is such a thing as real wrestling that is actually a test of skill, strength and stamina for which they give out Olympic medals.

The ends of matches are predetermined but the action leading up to it is for the most part, impromptu work, like stand-up acting basically. I'd like to think 99% of wrestling fans believe it's fake in the sense there's no competition going for it, but rather it's entertainment. It's no different from watching a play, a rock concert, a movie, or a ballet recital. Matches, vignettes, and shows are rated and judged as if it were entertainment.

I think, for me, that's the reason why I love wrestling because it is fake. Any true competitive Greco-Roman/freestyle match (or let's say a boxing/MMA match) can wind up being fairly disappointing for the hype. Same is true for worked wrestling but when you have two (or more) good performers that can create a great story out of a match and do so convincingly while getting the fans involved (even to suspend their disbelief or "mark out"), then really a worked match can be better entertainment really.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk