The New Pic Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The New Pic Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The New Pic Thread

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:36 am

I didn't even know they sold ground beef that was 27% fat. That thing looks disgusting.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:49 am

I see 75/25 ground beef at the store all the time in the bulk, family packs (4 lbs+). I don't get it, though. With 1/4th of it being fat that boils off during cooking, you're essentially paying 1/3rd more for the non-fat product you are getting. I get the 97/3 package, which is noticeably cheaper after you make the price adjustment.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby knapplc » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:57 am

Here's a quick rundown. Fat = flavor. It burns off when you grill, but the flavor remains. When you're making hamburgers for your grill, you DO NOT want to use lean beef. I use 80/20 for my burgers, and I add 1 tbsp water for every pound of hamburger I use, and 1/2 to 1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce. Form the mixture into palm-sized balls, gently flatten, and let them rest for 10-ish minutes before you grill. It's a perfect hamburger, every time.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:14 pm

Knapp knows things. ;-D

Yeah you have to have a little fat in stuff for the flavors.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:18 pm

agree with knapp...that 97/3 stuff is dry as heck...we usually go for the ground chuck which i think is 80/20, but sometimes we'll buy the bulk stuff which is sometimes 73/27. for tacos and stuff sometimes we'll go with sirloin (90/10 i think :-? )
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:54 pm

knapplc wrote:Here's a quick rundown. Fat = flavor. It burns off when you grill, but the flavor remains. When you're making hamburgers for your grill, you DO NOT want to use lean beef. I use 80/20 for my burgers, and I add 1 tbsp water for every pound of hamburger I use, and 1/2 to 1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce. Form the mixture into palm-sized balls, gently flatten, and let them rest for 10-ish minutes before you grill. It's a perfect hamburger, every time.

I don't grill burgers. I only grill cuts of meat.

What hamburger I do cook is always as an ingredient in a meal. I season the heck out of it when it's browning, so I don't want to have to rinse or drain it to get rid of the excess grease in the pan. For that reason, the diet lean is a better product for me. Keeps more of the flavor in the meal that I'm preparing. Even then, I tend to use ground turkey in most meals that call for ground beef.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:14 pm

You are missing out not grilling burgers. Nothing tastes quite as good.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:26 pm

I generally use 97/3, or at most 93/7 for anything other than burgers (tacos, spaghetti, chili, etc) and 90/10 for burgers, for most of the reasons mentioned. 73/27 is just gross to me. I used to use a bit of Worcestershire in my burgers, but I haven't had the stuff in a few years now.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:35 pm

I use 90/10 for most things I make with hamburger, but I've noticed that I haven't made a meal with hamburger as a main ingredient more than three times in the past several months. I haven't grilled burgers since mid-summer. We've been eating mostly chicken for quite a while.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby fezzik » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:44 pm

I use 85/15 most of the time for burgers. Occasionally I'll go 80/20 if I'm making a lot of them. I'll stick with the 85/15 or go with something slightly leaner for other dishes that call for ground beef. And knapp is spot on with the worcestershire sauce. It is a staple for my patties. ;-D
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk