Nady & Marte traded - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nady & Marte traded

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Nady & Marte traded

Postby bigken117 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 am

Tabata's stock is close to junk at this point with injuries, attitude, and a lack of production, however his upside is probably more than the Pirates could have gotten for those guys, so it's a good trade for both teams. If Tabata puts it together it could be a coup for Pitts. I'm no fan of trading for bullpen help, it almost never helps. Of course I'm still burned from Gags last season. The Yanks needed a lefty though...we'll see how the New York frenzy differs from the pressure of Pittsburgh.

As a Sox fan, I'm not that worried about this trade. It helps, they're quality pieces, but they're not difference makers. I won't be watching Nady's AB tomorrow gripped in fear. Compared to Gardner though...it's an improvement. I won't watch Marte come out of the pen thinking game over. Compared to Farnsworth though...

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:30 am

KCollins1304 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:I would have just signed Bonds for nothing instead of trading prospects for a guy that's sure to regress the rest of this season, but I'm no GM. The Yankees will certainly be a better team either way, though.

They got Nady because he's right-handed.

Bonds can hit both lefties and righties better than Nady can, so it doesn't matter. If the Yankees wanted to improve their offense, there still is nobody better.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:05 am

Are the Yankess really only three games back? Geez. So much for them finally missing the playoffs. :-[
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby KCollins1304 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:41 am

kimchi_chigae wrote:Are the Yankess really only three games back? Geez. So much for them finally missing the playoffs. :-[

Only 2 GB of the WC. ;-D
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MashinSpuds » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:52 am

Unless Tabata is the next big thing, this deal seems like the Pirates just got rid of guys to get rid of them. They're certainly continuing on their lifelong quest to rebuild the team, but they probably could've gotten 2-3 strong prospects for Marte alone and Nady, despite everyone's mistrust of a continued production level, was certainly worth 2 as well. That does add up to four, but another top prospect should've been in there instead of mostly nobodies. This trade reminds of the old Yankees trades where they'd send a couple of so-so minor leaguers for a big time player.

Very good trade, of course, for the Yankees. If anything it keeps Marte away from the Sox and quells some worry over who they're going to get production from in Matsui, Gardner, etc. Looks like they're set for the next couple of months.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby The Handsome One » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:26 am

Is this trade "official" yet (i.e. have all players passed their physicals)? I am waiting for it to officially go through before dropping Marte.
The Handsome One
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bjfcool2 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:58 am

Will nady start everyday?
bjfcool2
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:09 pm

According to the New York Post, the Pirates will be getting Daniel McCutchen and Jeff Karstens along with Jose Tabata and Ross Ohlendorf from the Yankees for Xavier Nady and Damaso Marte.
It was widely reported last night (including by the Post itself) that George Kontos and Phil Coke were in the deal in place of McCutchen and Karstens. This is clearly better for the Pirates. McCutchen is arguably the Yankees' best remaining pitching prospect, though he's not a big upside guy and he doesn't rank with Phil Hughes or Ian Kennedy. Karstens isn't much more than middle relief fodder, but neither was Coke.
Source: New York Post
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby stumpak » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:23 pm

The reputation the Pirates are acquiring is interesting. The cry all summer about how they want multiple elite prospects for Nady, Bay or Marte, and then they dump both Marte and Nady for a package that is highlighted by a very questionable guy like Tabata. They did the same thing 2 years ago when they moved Perez.

Frankly, I am surprised that they could not get a little bit more. Given Marte's impending option, I understand trading him, but why move Nady for pennies on the dollar when you have him another year? I would have tried to end this season on a high note (close to .500) by keepiong Nady. They always coudl have traded him next year. I know McCutcheon is in the wings, but just move Nady to 1B and move LaRoche.

Not as bad as the Rauch trade, but far from good for the Pirates and great for the Yankees.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:49 pm

stumpak wrote:The reputation the Pirates are acquiring is interesting. The cry all summer about how they want multiple elite prospects for Nady, Bay or Marte, and then they dump both Marte and Nady for a package that is highlighted by a very questionable guy like Tabata. They did the same thing 2 years ago when they moved Perez.

Frankly, I am surprised that they could not get a little bit more. Given Marte's impending option, I understand trading him, but why move Nady for pennies on the dollar when you have him another year? I would have tried to end this season on a high note (close to .500) by keepiong Nady. They always coudl have traded him next year. I know McCutcheon is in the wings, but just move Nady to 1B and move LaRoche.

Not as bad as the Rauch trade, but far from good for the Pirates and great for the Yankees.

I think LaRoche is better than Nady.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers