Will the Yankees make the playoffs? Yes...or No? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will the Yankees make the playoffs? Yes...or No?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Will the Yankees make the playoffs? Yes or no.

Yes
55%
No
45%

Total votes : 58

Re: Will the Yankees make the playoffs? Yes...or No?

Postby Yoda » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:08 pm

Joba was the catalyst they needed as they have gone 28-16 since he started his first game (7-3 in games Joba started). He is their anchor already at age 22 with only 10 starts under his belt. Sure he had some bounces go his way on Friday but he beat their arch rival in their turf with their ace on the mound.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:51 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
Old_Style wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:I think they'll probably make it.

Only if the sign Clemens and Bonds.

Why are teams not lining up to sign Bonds? One of the best hitters of all-time. It perplexes me.

I hate this crap keeps popping up in every thread. Really, it perplexes you?

1) He's in his mid 40s and hasn't played baseball for a year. Without his flaxseed oil, what makes you think he'd even have been able to play at age 40 in the first place?

2) He's the least popular figure in all of sports and will push away half a teams fan base.

3) He will almost certainy create Jeff Kent-esk moments in the locker room and dugout.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Handsome One » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:04 pm

Until the Yankees actually miss the playoffs, I just assume that they will be there.
The Handsome One
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:07 pm

tinfoilxtouch wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:
Old_Style wrote:Only if the sign Clemens and Bonds.

Why are teams not lining up to sign Bonds? One of the best hitters of all-time. It perplexes me.

I hate this crap keeps popping up in every thread. Really, it perplexes you?

1) He's in his mid 40s and hasn't played baseball for a year. Without his flaxseed oil, what makes you think he'd even have been able to play at age 40 in the first place?

2) He's the least popular figure in all of sports and will push away half a teams fan base.

3) He will almost certainy create Jeff Kent-esk moments in the locker room and dugout.

1. He wouldn't have to play the field for an AL team, and he's demonstrated that he is a VERY productive hitter into his 40s.

2. While some morons will desert their team, more people will be attracted to the club after Bonds helps the team win.

3. Almost certainly? Really? When most of Bonds former teammates have nothing but nice things to say about him? Thanks for the insight.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:11 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
And they didn't seem vunerable last year? They were 42-43 at the ASB in 2007 and 10 games out of first in the AL East and 8.5 back in the Wildcard...trailing 5 other teams.

Let's get real here. Nobody is saying that they are infallible. It would not surprise me if they missed the playoffs. But let's not act as if they haven't been in this situation before. They've been a poorly structured team for the past several years and have continually made the playoffs. And there are problems with everyone else in the race as well.

The Roger Clemens signing last year made a significant impact on that team. Without that signing, I'm not sure they make that huge push.

This year's team has zero pitching. Joba is your ace? Kid has tremendous amounts of talent but he shouldnt have to lead this rotation. Keep touting Mussina and Pettite but I neither of them have top of the rotation stuff anymore. I would say they are quite vulnerable, even more so than last year.

Clemens had a mid 4.18 ERA, I wouldn't really call him a savior for the team. They got into the playoffs last year because they were just shy of 1000 runs. The Yankees staff is a lot better this year than last year. Wang was the only consistently good starter last year(Pettitte was in and out), this year Pettitte, Joba, and Mussina have all had very good years with sub 4 ERAs. The offense has been pretty poor by Yankee standards and I'd expect them to pick it up in the 2nd half.

Exactly. You really think Clemens was the savior? He did an okay job, but he was nowhere near worth what he got paid for that 4 month stint. And the Yankees haven't had a solid starting rotation for years. Remember 2005 when they relied on guys like Aaron Small, Al Leiter, Darrell May, Tim Redding, Shawn Chacon, Hideo Nomo, etc.?

It hasn't been pretty, but they've gotten there every year despite their shortcomings. This might be the year that they miss it. As I said, I wouldn't be surprised. But to act like they are much worse this year than they have been in previous years is false IMO.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby yanks924 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:35 pm

The yankees will make the playoffs this year. They may have Wang back for the real playoff push in the last month of the year and the Rays have been slipping which I have thought would happen for some time now. The Rays have a bunch of talent and are a good team but I do not think they can hold up which will put the yankees in the playoffs.
yanks924
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:52 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:3. Almost certainly? Really? When most of Bonds former teammates have nothing but nice things to say about him? Thanks for the insight.

Then why, in your opinion, won't any teams show an ounce of interest in the man? He would certainly produce offensively so why wouldn't an AL team go out and get him if he wouldn't cause problems as you put it? Do you know better than MLB team owners or are we missing something else here? I'm truly curious...
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:27 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:3. Almost certainly? Really? When most of Bonds former teammates have nothing but nice things to say about him? Thanks for the insight.

Then why, in your opinion, won't any teams show an ounce of interest in the man? He would certainly produce offensively so why wouldn't an AL team go out and get him if he wouldn't cause problems as you put it? Do you know better than MLB team owners or are we missing something else here? I'm truly curious...

There's certainly a possibility of there being collusion among the MLB owners.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:30 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

There's certainly a possibility of there being collusion among the MLB owners.

Right. Or none of them want to be "that" team. I'm not going to pretend there isn't a stigma attached to him. I'm just saying that it shouldn't matter. The man will help you win ballgames, and that should be the objective here.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:46 pm

If the Yankees, a team that is known for their will to win no matter the cost, won't even sign him, it's pretty obviously collusion.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers