Will the Yankees make the playoffs? Yes...or No? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will the Yankees make the playoffs? Yes...or No?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Will the Yankees make the playoffs? Yes or no.

Yes
55%
No
45%

Total votes : 58

Re: Will the Yankees make the playoffs? Yes...or No?

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:49 pm

They may say they are trying to build withing but the Nady/Marte trade shows otherwise. ALthough they are both young.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:57 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:
NWSoxaholic wrote:Even as a Red Sox fan, it's been funny to hear everyone discount the Yanks at the ASB, but this year does look a little different to me. I don't think they'll make the big run they're known for and that the Rays will fade with the White Sox and Tigers taking the Central and WC.

I dont think many are counting them out but they dont seem to have great options in both the pen and the rotation. Add to that the fact that it will be very tough to find someone on the trade market (save Washburn or a couple of other fringe pitchers), and the future doesnt look picture-perfect. They are still the Yanks and can still spend uber amounts of money. But it seems as if they dont have anyone above-average to throw that cash at. And with the Rays potentially adding Fuentes/Bay and the Sox needing another pen arm (Will Ohman?), the Yanks cannot target a big-name (Tex, Holliday) to counter them. Could they acquire a Fuentes or a Bay? Sure. But do they have the prospects these other teams do? Their prospects are probably not as highly rated.

I will never count them out but they sure do seem vulnerable.

And they didn't seem vunerable last year? They were 42-43 at the ASB in 2007 and 10 games out of first in the AL East and 8.5 back in the Wildcard...trailing 5 other teams.

Let's get real here. Nobody is saying that they are infallible. It would not surprise me if they missed the playoffs. But let's not act as if they haven't been in this situation before. They've been a poorly structured team for the past several years and have continually made the playoffs. And there are problems with everyone else in the race as well.

The Roger Clemens signing last year made a significant impact on that team. Without that signing, I'm not sure they make that huge push.

This year's team has zero pitching. Joba is your ace? Kid has tremendous amounts of talent but he shouldnt have to lead this rotation. Keep touting Mussina and Pettite but I neither of them have top of the rotation stuff anymore. I would say they are quite vulnerable, even more so than last year.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby NorthSider2 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:05 pm

I think the Rays will snag that division and the wild card will come out of the Central
Thanks to soty for the sweet sig

Go Cubs
NorthSider2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:15 pm

When the season started I thought this might be the year the Yanks don't make it.As of today,I'm still not sure but management seems to believe they can based on today's trade.Love this Marte/Nady deal but the fact remains that with about 60 games left Rasner(#4) and Ponson(#5) will be pitching 24 of them.Yanks offense is good but not like they had in previous seasons where they could afford an SP giving up 6-8 runs because they would put 10 runs up.Also, IMO this Marte deal would not go down if it wasn't for the Yanks recent play.Honestly speaking, before this hot streak the Yanks were muddling along with Boston and TB not able to put the division away.

Sounds strange but if they can make the playoffs I think they can do well.They have a good offense,bullpen is solid and they have enough SPs to win a short series,albeit not a true #1 type ace.If the Yanks can get a serviceable starter for the stretch run I'll feel much better about their chances.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:31 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:
I dont think many are counting them out but they dont seem to have great options in both the pen and the rotation. Add to that the fact that it will be very tough to find someone on the trade market (save Washburn or a couple of other fringe pitchers), and the future doesnt look picture-perfect. They are still the Yanks and can still spend uber amounts of money. But it seems as if they dont have anyone above-average to throw that cash at. And with the Rays potentially adding Fuentes/Bay and the Sox needing another pen arm (Will Ohman?), the Yanks cannot target a big-name (Tex, Holliday) to counter them. Could they acquire a Fuentes or a Bay? Sure. But do they have the prospects these other teams do? Their prospects are probably not as highly rated.

I will never count them out but they sure do seem vulnerable.

And they didn't seem vunerable last year? They were 42-43 at the ASB in 2007 and 10 games out of first in the AL East and 8.5 back in the Wildcard...trailing 5 other teams.

Let's get real here. Nobody is saying that they are infallible. It would not surprise me if they missed the playoffs. But let's not act as if they haven't been in this situation before. They've been a poorly structured team for the past several years and have continually made the playoffs. And there are problems with everyone else in the race as well.

The Roger Clemens signing last year made a significant impact on that team. Without that signing, I'm not sure they make that huge push.

This year's team has zero pitching. Joba is your ace? Kid has tremendous amounts of talent but he shouldnt have to lead this rotation. Keep touting Mussina and Pettite but I neither of them have top of the rotation stuff anymore. I would say they are quite vulnerable, even more so than last year.

Clemens had a mid 4.18 ERA, I wouldn't really call him a savior for the team. They got into the playoffs last year because they were just shy of 1000 runs. The Yankees staff is a lot better this year than last year. Wang was the only consistently good starter last year(Pettitte was in and out), this year Pettitte, Joba, and Mussina have all had very good years with sub 4 ERAs. The offense has been pretty poor by Yankee standards and I'd expect them to pick it up in the 2nd half.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:48 pm

I think they'll probably make it.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Old_Style » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:01 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I think they'll probably make it.

Only if the sign Clemens and Bonds.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:06 pm

Old_Style wrote:

Why are teams not lining up to sign Bonds? One of the best hitters of all-time. It perplexes me.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:12 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
Old_Style wrote:

Why are teams not lining up to sign Bonds? One of the best hitters of all-time. It perplexes me.

collusion
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:59 am

RocketsDWM wrote:
Old_Style wrote:

I think it tells us nothing about the player Bonds is, but a lot about the man. As good as he is, teams don't want him. I wonder if Bonds ever believed in karma. Probably not. I bet he does now.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers