urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thames?

Postby Motown Blues » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:12 am

The short answer? Matt Joyce.

It's not a straight platoon - and Leyland plays hunches and historical stats rather righty/lefty - but you are more likely to see Joyce in LF against righties while he hits like he is (.349 / 5 HR over last month). Thames missed the last two games against two right handed Royals' starters. Talking heads on the radio/tv are claiming that you could see him more at DH if Sheffield continues to be less than average (though he has been hitting the ball hard). I basically see right now 3 guys for two spots, and for now, there will not be too much predictability.
Motown Blues
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby urbanbreez » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:24 pm

Ok, but seriously, Motown, you are from that area. Is Thames not killing the ball? He's been raking... are his splits against lefty and righty that bad? He just hit like 7 bombs in a row! This is stupid. At least wait for him to slump before benching him all week. Do you agree? :-t
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pitcherintherye » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:42 pm

urbanbreez wrote:Ok, but seriously, Motown, you are from that area. Is Thames not killing the ball? He's been raking... are his splits against lefty and righty that bad? He just hit like 7 bombs in a row! This is stupid. At least wait for him to slump before benching him all week. Do you agree? :-t

I agree. this is bull.
"I put the 'K' in chaos..."

"but there's no K in chaos"

"oh...figures"
pitcherintherye
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Motown Blues » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:21 pm

I certainly agree, gentlemen. He HAS been on a tear. Most Tiger fans want to see what Thames can do day in and day out because he's never really had the chance. Maybe it's because he's streaky, his defense is below average or that his career post-All Star stats are abysmal (something like a .276 OBP). But he has always posted these stats as a part time player. The dude would hit 40 HR if you gave him 500 AB's. He was out of the lineup AGAIN (the righty Danks on the mound), Joyce went 0 for 3 and plenty guys were left on base. Could have used Thames this night.

And of course, just when you think the Tigers might make a run, we manage to figure out a way to start losing again. Jonesy gives up 2 in the ninth and we blow the Chisox opener 6-5 after a great performance from Nate Robertson. !+) :-P %-6 :~( :-t
Motown Blues
College Coach
College Coach

Postby gatorgreenwell » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:10 pm

"Marcus Thames did not start Friday, the third consecutive game that he was not in the lineup.

Thames leads the team with 19 home runs even though he entered Friday's game with only 199 at-bats.

The return of rightfielder Magglio Ordoñez has meant that one player from the group of Thames, Matt Joyce and Gary Sheffield will be out of the lineup on most days."
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 26004/1050
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Motown Blues » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:32 pm

gatorgreenwell wrote:"Marcus Thames did not start Friday, the third consecutive game that he was not in the lineup.

Thames leads the team with 19 home runs even though he entered Friday's game with only 199 at-bats.

The return of rightfielder Magglio Ordoñez has meant that one player from the group of Thames, Matt Joyce and Gary Sheffield will be out of the lineup on most days."
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 26004/1050

I read this today in my Free Press, and it's just as I said. Problem is, it doesn't tell you any more of the why. Even the writers can only speculate Leyland's motives (as is often the case).
Motown Blues
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Injuries & Player Updates