172 transactions, a little too much? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

172 transactions, a little too much?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

172 transactions, a little too much?

Postby colt4523 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:40 pm

One of the owners in my 16 team h2h league has made 172 adds/drops already and some of the other owners are starting to bitch. The team in question has several times picked up a player then dropped him immediately after. In our league once a player is dropped, he is put on waivers for 3 days, so if you want this player you have to wait 3 days in order to pick him up. Our lineups are set once a week. Should I do something to this owner? Technically it is not against the rules but most of the owners are pissed and I would like to keep the rest of the owners happy.
Last edited by colt4523 on Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 81)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 172 transactions, alittle too much?

Postby JasonSeahorn » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:48 pm

colt4523 wrote:One of the owners in my 16 team h2h league has made 172 adds/drops already and some of the other owners are starting to bitch. The team in question has several times picked up a player then dropped him immediately after. In our league once a player is dropped, he is put on waivers for 3 days, so if you want this player you have to wait 3 days in order to pick him up. Our lineups are set once a week. Should I do something to this owner? Technically it is not against the rules but most of the owners are pissed and I would like to keep the rest of the owners happy.

What service do you use for your league? What that owner is doing is called churning IIRC and is actually not allowed according to the Yahoo rules, and I think the CBS rules as well. So if you're using Yahoo, you really could do whatever.
JasonSeahorn Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby colt4523 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:54 pm

Private CBS league. I will take a look at the rules page to see if it says something.
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

Postby noseeum » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:48 pm

colt4523 wrote:Private CBS league. I will take a look at the rules page to see if it says something.

In yahoo if you add and drop a player in the same day he remains a free agent. Not sure how that works in CBS, but you can enforce this yourself if you need to. There's no reason why it needs to be established that a player can't be picked up simply to start the waiver clock. I know I argue often for not changing rules, but to me this is more a clarification. "Don't be a douche" is never really a stated rule. Everyone just knows it's there.

I'm fine with streaming for points in a daily league, but adding and immediately dropping simply to prevent other teams from picking up a player over the next couple of days is not a sporting strategy.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:44 am

noseeum wrote:Don't be a douche" is never really a stated rule. Everyone just knows it's there.

That's what it comes down to.

You're well within your rights to implement a rule that anyone picked up off of waivers has to be kept a minimum amount of time, say, a week. And then next year implement a cap on pickups; we use 60/yr which is just enough. A couple of guys get squeezed at the end of the season, but most everyone else doesn't even realize it's there.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:42 pm

Most providers (and private leagues) don't allow for player churning. If a player is dropped the same day he was added he doesnt go on waivers. If thats what he is doing then it makes sense that you need to limit that, I've seen players churned to prevent other teams from streaming them.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: 172 transactions, a little too much?

Postby colt4523 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:35 pm

Does anyone know if there is a setting in cbs leagues that you can enable that would prevent this?
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

Postby abrage22 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:37 pm

I have CBS, and we have a salary type thing for add/drops, so we get $100 fake dollars at the beggining of the year, and u put a bet on players that u want to pick up, so it would stop guys from dropping and adding players alot.
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby shawngee03 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:11 pm

nice loney sig. he went to my highschool, and played alongside my little brother from little league through high school. pretty cool to see someone you grew up w getting so popular

i will also add that i dont think it would be wrong to implement such a rule to stop churning right now. im usually against changing rules mid season, but this really doesnt affect the game, just how much of a douche that guy gets to be. i hope thsi guy isnt friends w anybody in the league, bc he is seriously hurting himself personally by doing that
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby abrage22 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:42 pm

shawngee03 wrote:nice loney sig. he went to my highschool, and played alongside my little brother from little league through high school. pretty cool to see someone you grew up w getting so popular

hey thanks. thats a pretty cool story ;-D .
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner