worth veto? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

worth veto?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

worth veto?

Postby baseballstud » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:19 pm

from the last place team who is 55 games back of 1st and has shown little interest all year to the 4th place team when 2nd-5th is only seperated by 3 games-jason bay,jd drew, and joakim soria

from the 4th place team-marcus thames,geovony soto,josh banks.

the 4th place team just recently told everyone he needed a closer, and i just can't see how this is fair enough to be accepted. maybe it's just that i don't want the 4th place team to get better, but i'm not a cheater like that, and i still think this may be veto worthy.
baseballstud
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 39)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: worth veto?

Postby mannin52 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:00 pm

w/e side is getting the lason bay side is getting a hige advantage. soto is damn good though.
mannin52
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:04 pm

Public league or private? How well do you know these guys?

The 4th-place team isn't giving up nothing... Soto has been one of the best catchers and Thames has been having a career year. But I still don't know if I'd put Soto in the top 3 players of the deal and if he isn't there, then none of the 4th-place team's is.

Have you tried talking to the team in last?
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:08 pm

Matthias wrote:Public league or private? How well do you know these guys?

The 4th-place team isn't giving up nothing... Soto has been one of the best catchers and Thames has been having a career year. But I still don't know if I'd put Soto in the top 3 players of the deal and if he isn't there, then none of the 4th-place team's is.

Have you tried talking to the team in last?

Soto is in the top 3 at his position, something you can't say for anyone else in this deal. I don't like the total packages, but its not vetoable.
Last edited by Bobbleheadrusty on Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Motown Blues » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:30 pm

It IS slanted toward Mr. 4th place. I suspect it may be because Mr. 55 Games Back has given up and does not care much.

Thames is, for the first time in his career, getting a shot at playing every day. I am not confident he keeps up his torrid pace. He has a 3-year history of significantly slowing down the second half of the season. But again, this is his first shot at playing against both righties and lefties. Banks has minimal value. Soto is a stud at catcher.

But...you have three solid players in Bay, Drew and Soria have little comparable downside other than Drew's injury history (and his possible move to #2 in the order...less RBI chances).

For all that...it is not so overwhelmingly lopsided to warrant a veto (though I admit that it does legitimize a discussion). You would be setting a very tricky precedent by intervening; you even admit that part of your motivation is the worry of a competitor improving. You will most likely find that the next trade will be close again - do you veto that one, too? No? Why not? You veto it, too? But then, who gets to trade? If you are in the race, can you not trade anymore? These will be the questions. The trade veto power - in my opinion - should be enacted when it is a grossly lopsided example of collusion. You'll know it when you see it and you won't have to ask us meatheads. But anyway, do you really think that he is improving all that much? He gets his closer, but who will he play at catcher now?

My opinion comes from the mindset of allowing managers to run their team as they see fit. I am therefore careful who I allow into my league(s), and also know that in similar cases to this, ANY others could have made the same deals with the "cellar dwellers" who are interested in dealing cheap. Gotta beat Mr. 4th place to the punch. You never know...maybe the guy has got more to unload and you can make a deal of your own... This is not often a popular opinion, however. ;-)
Motown Blues
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:19 am

mannin52 wrote:w/e side is getting the lason bay side is getting a hige advantage. soto is damn good though.

The fact that this was written in the middle of the afternoon makes me cringe. :-o

Not vetoable though.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Motown Blues » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:24 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:
mannin52 wrote:w/e side is getting the lason bay side is getting a hige advantage. soto is damn good though.

The fact that this was written in the middle of the afternoon makes me cringe. :-o

Not vetoable though.

:-b :-b :-b
Motown Blues
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Commissioner's Corner