Juan Rivera - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Juan Rivera

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Juan Rivera

Postby AdvRider » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:21 pm

With the unperfoming (and overpaid) Gary Mathews Jr. down with a ligament tear in his knee, Juan Rivera is all of a sudden a full-time LAA OF.

Remember the terrific second half Rivera had in 2006? .335 35 R 12 HR 49 RBI. Rivera helped me to a first place trophy that year, thanks buddy! ;-D

I recognize he's struggled this year vs. lefties (.154 vs. .309), but in 2006 he actually hit better vs. lefties than righties (.351 vs. .293) and is pretty much even on his career.

To me Rivera looks like a solid dark horse candidate to replace, say, Hunter Pence. Unfortunately though no speed. Any insights?
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Juan Rivera

Postby Tommy John » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:01 pm

I am definitely keeping my eye on Rivera. I picked him up about 2 weeks ago hoping that the situation would pan out and the best hitter would play, luckily it has worked out. I think of Rivera somewhat like Milton Bradley, both have tremendous talent but have not cashed in on it over a full season. Bradley because of injuries and because of his personality, Rivera because of a lack of opportunity and then injury. Bradley has moved to DH and the results are pretty sweet so far this year.

I think he is primed for a breakout. I really think he will be a solid player for the next couple of years if he stays healthy. I could see a .280 - .300 AVG., 25 HR, and solid run production over the course of a year. He doesn't seem to ever get a whole lot of love but I think he can be a solid #2 outfielder.
Tommy John
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Juan Rivera

Postby deutschland » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:31 pm

Tommy John wrote:I am definitely keeping my eye on Rivera. I picked him up about 2 weeks ago hoping that the situation would pan out and the best hitter would play, luckily it has worked out. I think of Rivera somewhat like Milton Bradley, both have tremendous talent but have not cashed in on it over a full season. Bradley because of injuries and because of his personality, Rivera because of a lack of opportunity and then injury. Bradley has moved to DH and the results are pretty sweet so far this year.

I think he is primed for a breakout. I really think he will be a solid player for the next couple of years if he stays healthy. I could see a .280 - .300 AVG., 25 HR, and solid run production over the course of a year. He doesn't seem to ever get a whole lot of love but I think he can be a solid #2 outfielder.

he has proven to be useful in the past with some nice hot streaks but wow, a solid #2 seems like a bit of a reach.
deutschland
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates