JJ Putz a closer this year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

JJ Putz a closer this year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: JJ Putz a closer this year?

Postby NWSoxaholic » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:34 pm

2 innings, 1 hit, 3 K's today. Anyone actually see him pitch? My feeling is he'll be back in the role sometime this year.
NWSoxaholic
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby apz » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:58 am

I thought he looked good. The only hit was an infield single. Putz dominated the last 2 seasons so I don't see how, if healthy, he's not closing. I expect him to be closing by the end of next week. Yes, I'm a Putz owner. :-b
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 33)

Postby PavanoAllstars » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:20 am

I watched him too... very very very good slider. Hit 96 on a couple fast balls, control seemed to be good. Morrow was equally impressive though, so who knows when JJ actually takes the role.
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ScrappyDoo » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:31 am

Barring a meltdown or an injury, Putz will definately close again. Morrow is just as valuable as a set up guy in the 8th. Putz won't lose his job to an injury.
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby harold_bush » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:35 am

apz wrote:I thought he looked good. The only hit was an infield single. Putz dominated the last 2 seasons so I don't see how, if healthy, he's not closing. I expect him to be closing by the end of next week. Yes, I'm a Putz owner. :-b

Wouldn't go to the bank with that. This is from a few days ago:

The Seattle Post Intelligencer speculates that "it might be a while before" J.J. Putz is closing again.

Putz returned from the disabled list Sunday with a scoreless inning of work, but manager Jim Riggleman has indicated that he'll need to pitch well to reclaim the job from Brandon Morrow. The newspaper notes that Riggleman "even hinted" that the Mariners may go with "co-closers" at some point.
Source: Seattle Post-Intelligencer

And this was from last night:

J.J. Putz fanned three in two scoreless innings of relief Wednesday against the Red Sox.

Putz was impressive, but Brandon Morrow was even better after taking over and throwing a pair of scoreless innings himself. There's no reason for the Mariners to switch closers right now.

I can't disagree that he should get his job back, but was very average this year, and Morrow has been extremely dominant lately. Yes, I'm a Morrow owner :-b :-b :-b
C- Montero/Napoli
1B-Pujols
2B-Cano
SS-Jeter
3B-Wright
OF-Dunn, J. Upton, Ichiro
UT-Chris Young
Bench - Carlos Lee, Pierre, Aramis

SP-Liriano, Wainwright, Jamie Garcia, Nolasco, Colby Lewis
RP- Wagner, K-Rod, Capps, Wood, Corpas
harold_bush
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby PavanoAllstars » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:35 am

no reason to switch closers? How about this is a lost season, Seattle has a closer signed for multi years in Putz who if healthy is all star calliber, and Morrow is suppossed to be a starter, not a closer... and yes i'm a putz owner, but all subjectivity aside, the logical move would be to stretch Morrow into a starter and see what he has this year, Morrow himself has said he wants to start. These are meaningless games for the mariners, might as well use them as an excuse to see what you have in Morrow when there's a cushion for error. I think the Mariners are still very concerned with Morrow's health, they may not think he can handle going several innings in a row at a regular basis at this point.
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Surrender2theYankees » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:59 pm

PavanoAllstars wrote:no reason to switch closers? How about this is a lost season, Seattle has a closer signed for multi years in Putz who if healthy is all star calliber, and Morrow is suppossed to be a starter, not a closer... and yes i'm a putz owner, but all subjectivity aside, the logical move would be to stretch Morrow into a starter and see what he has this year, Morrow himself has said he wants to start. These are meaningless games for the mariners, might as well use them as an excuse to see what you have in Morrow when there's a cushion for error. I think the Mariners are still very concerned with Morrow's health, they may not think he can handle going several innings in a row at a regular basis at this point.

i'm glad the Mariners don't think like you. i totally agree with you, but i'm a morrow owner lol i don't think morrow will stay in the closers role very long, but if he does, the Mariners are making a mistake. the kid needs to stretched a bit and see what he can do in the starters role, he's got great stuff.
Surrender2theYankees
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:37 pm

PavanoAllstars wrote:no reason to switch closers? How about this is a lost season, Seattle has a closer signed for multi years in Putz who if healthy is all star calliber, and Morrow is suppossed to be a starter, not a closer... and yes i'm a putz owner, but all subjectivity aside, the logical move would be to stretch Morrow into a starter and see what he has this year, Morrow himself has said he wants to start. These are meaningless games for the mariners, might as well use them as an excuse to see what you have in Morrow when there's a cushion for error. I think the Mariners are still very concerned with Morrow's health, they may not think he can handle going several innings in a row at a regular basis at this point.

Yeah, excellent point. It doesn't serve Morrow or the team to have him close if their plans are to eventually start him. Besides, if I'm the Mariners, I'd want to put Putz back into the closer's role and see if he can handle the closer's role again before next season.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 83)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby harold_bush » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:55 pm

It is the Mariners, that is why. It isn't like this would be the first thing they have done that didn't make a lot of sense.
C- Montero/Napoli
1B-Pujols
2B-Cano
SS-Jeter
3B-Wright
OF-Dunn, J. Upton, Ichiro
UT-Chris Young
Bench - Carlos Lee, Pierre, Aramis

SP-Liriano, Wainwright, Jamie Garcia, Nolasco, Colby Lewis
RP- Wagner, K-Rod, Capps, Wood, Corpas
harold_bush
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby TomBrooklyn » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:21 am

I took a chance no one in my apathetic league would notice and I dropped K Wood for a few days and picked up Morrow. I just dropped Morrow to grab Wood again before my luck runs out for whatever that's worth. I hear Putz will be closing soon, although he might do middle relief a few times first. Morrow picked up a few Ks last week in losing games. I don't think he had any save opportunities.
TomBrooklyn Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates