JJ Putz a closer this year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

JJ Putz a closer this year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

JJ Putz a closer this year?

Postby PavanoAllstars » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:50 am

I assumed he'd be back in the role soon after coming off the DL, but Morrow's been pretty solid, and I also read an article speculating Putz and Morrow would possibly share the role. Quite troubling for someone who's held onto Putz this long... has anyone heard anything definitive from official sources?
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: JJ Putz a closer this year?

Postby ScrappyDoo » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:56 pm

Go back and look at the last 2 years posted by Putz. They are absolutely dominant. Morrow has been great, but it is Putz's job and he isn't going to lose it to an injury. The Mariners supposedly have plans to make Morrow a starter next year so I doubt they would piss Putz off by making him a set up man. just for '08.
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pangbones » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:43 pm

As I've said before I think Putz will get every benefit of the doubt, and will get every chance to reclaim his role as closer. When that will happen is beyond me, but I would think it'll be sooner rather than later.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby DbacksRback » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:01 pm

He will get a shot soon ;-D

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Postby Heavy Hitters » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:17 pm

Remember the first time Gange wasn't going to return as the closer... Till the very next game...
Heavy Hitters
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby PavanoAllstars » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:38 pm

Gagne... for what team? If you're referring to the Brewers, Yost clearly stated Gagne was not going to be the closer when he came back... I'm not familiar with his Dodgers years when he returned from his injuries.
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Heavy Hitters » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:11 pm

I am not talking about his current return I am talking about the first time earlier this season.
Heavy Hitters
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby PavanoAllstars » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:39 pm

Heavy Hitters wrote:I am not talking about his current return I am talking about the first time earlier this season.

Please explain, i'm confused as to what you're refering to?
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:50 pm

While Putz was dominant for two years, it is worth noting that Closers have a very short shelf life and he has been fighting various injuries this year. My best guess is that we probably won't ever see him as dominant as he was before and he might not completely rebound this year. I have both Putz and Morrow in my keeper league but I am praying that Morrow keeps the job all season.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby PavanoAllstars » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:03 pm

I still think unless Putz has a health relapse he should get some save opps, if not get the role outright... His past numbers at least grant him the opportunity to prove he's still capable. I know Morrow has been lights out, but does it really matter now for the Mariners? They need to see if Putz will be there for them, they signed him to a multi year deal. But then again i'm still shocked the mariners haven't begun to stretch out Morrow so they can begin to gague if he can be a #1 or #2 starter. This is a guy they drafted instead of Lincecum, I don't care how nasty the guy is as a closer, if he's got the skills to be a premier starter, you owe it to your franchise to see if you can get 200 innings of production from him rather than 80 innings of being a closer. Maybe Morrow is another Papelbon, but I was under the impression he had a number of good pitches, then again he and papelbon share injury concerns... how did this turn into a Morrow discussion, lol.

If I was to bet on the situation, I honestly think Putz and Morrow are going to end up sharing duties for awhile and given the lack of save opps, that's a pretty horrible situation if you can't have both of them in your daily line up at the same time...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates