how to deal with bratty kids - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

how to deal with bratty kids

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: how to deal with bratty kids

Postby bigken117 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:59 pm

jazzmanljg wrote:My three year old started playing the selective hearing card a few months ago. When I would ask him to do something (or not do something) and he would act like I wasn't even there I would just calmly say "Okay, if you're not answering me I better take that toy your playing with because it seems to be distracting you (or turn off that cartoon, or whatever the kid has been doing)". He always responded with "No Dad!" and my comeback was always "Okay you pick, either (do this, stop this, etc.) or I (get your toy, turn off TV, not go to the park, etc.). So far he has always picked what I wanted him to do (with a little huffing and puffing), but I'm sure a 5 year old may give you a little more fight.

That's pretty much what we do with my 3 year old. Or I'll say something like "If you don't do this (i.e. pick up toys) you don't get to read a book before bed." There are two important things when disciplining a child a) you and your wife have to be on the same page and b) if he doesn't pick up his toys or whatever, follow through on your threat. Life will suck for a day but they'll know you mean business and it only takes once, maybe twice before they know you mean business.

Of course the 5 yo could be playing the selective hearing card because it generates more attention to him, whether it's good or bad, kids crave it.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:20 pm

I babysit my 2 year old niece very regularly (this whole upcoming weekend in fact...) and my parents have actually run a day care their whole lives.

With 5 year olds its a bit trickier (2 year olds are the easiest I think, opposite of the "terrible twos" cliche). They are quite a bit more clever and may have out grown the easy "time out" measure. The first thing I'd say, though, is to drop the "I can't / don't want to discipline him because I don't want to offend" idea because that's not going to work. A kid can't be placed in your care with the expectation that you're just going to let him/her do what he wants the whole time. That's not reasonable.

I'd just follow these guidelines.

Make it clear by your behavior that when he behaves, you're nice and fun. When he misbehaves, you're quite strict.
Be strict, but don't yell. Body language and voice tone is plenty enough.
Leave yourself room to go. Don't offer ultimatums because what if he calls you on it? Always leave another step ahead.
When it's discipline time, don't talk to much. Don't explain or argue (if you want, you can do this AFTER a punishment is completed).
Just be up front. "Billy, play with that toy nice or I will put it away for an hour."
Any temper tantrums or meltdowns = immediate going to his room. Not acceptable behavior.

As with all parenting type stuff, it's always harder at first (the kid adjusts and tries to test you), but once he gets the hang of it it's easy. Just gotta set the boundaries.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Simulacrum » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:09 am

Another Blown Save wrote:
Yoda wrote:I am usually very good with little boys since I love playing games and sports and also playing with toys.

Oh really

:-b

You might want to try giving the kids Jesus Juice, Yoda... I hear it worked for another guy in a similar situation. ;-7
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Yoda » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:03 pm

Simulacrum wrote:
Another Blown Save wrote:
Yoda wrote:I am usually very good with little boys since I love playing games and sports and also playing with toys.

Oh really

:-b

You might want to try giving the kids Jesus Juice, Yoda... I hear it worked for another guy in a similar situation. ;-7

I don't get it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby YerInUrine » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:10 am

If you don't want to discipline them, you can try using positive reenforcement. My wife and I just implemented a marble economy system to try to sway our 5 & 2 yr olds into being good. When their jar is filled up, we take them to a toy store and let them pick out a toy (within reason). Our 5 yr old responded really well to this, and now does simple chores around the house without being asked, just to get marbles.

Every time they do something good and nice (pick up after themselves, do what they are asked, etc.) we give them 1 or 2 marbles, depending on the task. We also give them marbles for everyday tasks like sleeping through the night, brushing their teeth, finishing their meals, & asking politely for things.

If they are misbehaving, we take marbles away. First, we explain to them that if they do not stop what they are doing, we will take a marble away. If they don't stop, we take them away and we show them that we are taking it away & why. If they are put in a timeout, it is an automatic marble deduction without a warning. We also transfer marbles from one child's jar to the other's if they did something bad to the other (hit them, took something away, etc.).

They tricky thing is getting them to understand at first. You might need to give them a taste of success before you implement it. Like get them a toy, and tell them there will be more coming if they fill up their marble jar. You also might want to start the marble jars off small so they see results faster (as we all know, kids don't have the greatest attention spans and might loose interest quickly).

Our 2 yr old doesn't fully understand what the marbles are for quite yet, he just wants marbles. Your don't seem to have any problems with the 2 yr old though.

Just a suggestion, I hope it helps.
YerInUrine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:42 am

YerInUrine wrote:If you don't want to discipline them, you can try using positive reenforcement. My wife and I just implemented a marble economy system to try to sway our 5 & 2 yr olds into being good. When their jar is filled up, we take them to a toy store and let them pick out a toy (within reason). Our 5 yr old responded really well to this, and now does simple chores around the house without being asked, just to get marbles.

Every time they do something good and nice (pick up after themselves, do what they are asked, etc.) we give them 1 or 2 marbles, depending on the task. We also give them marbles for everyday tasks like sleeping through the night, brushing their teeth, finishing their meals, & asking politely for things.

If they are misbehaving, we take marbles away. First, we explain to them that if they do not stop what they are doing, we will take a marble away. If they don't stop, we take them away and we show them that we are taking it away & why. If they are put in a timeout, it is an automatic marble deduction without a warning. We also transfer marbles from one child's jar to the other's if they did something bad to the other (hit them, took something away, etc.).

They tricky thing is getting them to understand at first. You might need to give them a taste of success before you implement it. Like get them a toy, and tell them there will be more coming if they fill up their marble jar. You also might want to start the marble jars off small so they see results faster (as we all know, kids don't have the greatest attention spans and might loose interest quickly).

Our 2 yr old doesn't fully understand what the marbles are for quite yet, he just wants marbles. Your don't seem to have any problems with the 2 yr old though.

Just a suggestion, I hope it helps.

Very interesting. I've got a 4 and a 6 yr old. I might try this. In fact my son really wanted marbles a while ago and I told him to wait because his sister was too young and I was afraid of her swallowing one. We might go out and buy some marbles this weekend.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby YerInUrine » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:48 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Very interesting. I've got a 4 and a 6 yr old. I might try this. In fact my son really wanted marbles a while ago and I told him to wait because his sister was too young and I was afraid of her swallowing one. We might go out and buy some marbles this weekend.

We don't let them play with the marbles for that reason. We just put the jars up high somewhere in plain sight, but we do let them put their own marbles in, then they go right back on the shelf.
YerInUrine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:39 am

YerInUrine wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:Very interesting. I've got a 4 and a 6 yr old. I might try this. In fact my son really wanted marbles a while ago and I told him to wait because his sister was too young and I was afraid of her swallowing one. We might go out and buy some marbles this weekend.

We don't let them play with the marbles for that reason. We just put the jars up high somewhere in plain sight, but we do let them put their own marbles in, then they go right back on the shelf.

Nice system. Question though. The goal needs to be achievable correct? If you keep taking away the marbles then wouldn't that discourage the kids? For instance, how many marbles = toy?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby knapplc » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:54 am

Yoda wrote:
YerInUrine wrote:

Nice system. Question though. The goal needs to be achievable correct? If you keep taking away the marbles then wouldn't that discourage the kids? For instance, how many marbles = toy?

Right, like how large is the jar? Pint size? Quart? It's got to be something reasonable so they can fill it up within a week to ten days or so, or the kids will begin to lose interest.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby YerInUrine » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:12 pm

Right, like how large is the jar? Pint size? Quart? It's got to be something reasonable so they can fill it up within a week to ten days or so, or the kids will begin to lose interest.

You can feel it out and start off small. We have a fairly large jar, about the size of one of those nalgene bottles from EMS and our 5 yr old does well with it. We have been doing it for about a month now and hers is about 1/2 way full. I guess it depends on the kid.

We usually hand marbles out pretty liberally, but have definite rules. We give out 2 marbles for finishing meals, 2 for sleeping through the night. Basically the issues we want to address more, the more marbles we give out for. Unless the kid is the devil, he should get more marbles than he gets taken away.

Try it out and see if it works.
YerInUrine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk