As The Pendulum Swings....Pitching Depth - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

As The Pendulum Swings....Pitching Depth

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

As The Pendulum Swings....Pitching Depth

Postby Y`s Guy » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:09 am

Remember back to the days when expansion watered down pitching? And offense was way up? Well, look now as pitching talent reigns after finally catching up. And i, for one, love it.

Used to be a time I would sacrifice early round offense by scooping up the better SPs available and then patch-working an offense together. No more!

As I see it the top 30 SPs are really good. I see Dontrell Willis at #30. Not too bad.

There used to be a time when that #4 and #5 guy on a staff was a minor leaguer thrown to the wolves. Clay Parker, Brian Rose, Chris Michalak just to name three.

Now look at the depth. The A's #5 guy is a phenom in Harden. The lowly Expos' #5 is Claudio Vargas and he isn't exactly chopped liver. The talent is definitely reaching the majors.

Yes, free agency and big money are making teams top heavy with the pitching...see Philly, Boston, NYY but there aren't as many teams scraping the bottom of the barrel for arms. And that is great for baseball.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 275)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Re: As The Pendulum Swings....Pitching Depth

Postby wrveres » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:07 pm

Y`s Guy wrote:Remember back to the days when expansion watered down pitching? And offense was way up? Well, look now as pitching talent reigns after finally catching up. And i, for one, love it.

Used to be a time I would sacrifice early round offense by scooping up the better SPs available and then patch-working an offense together. No more!

As I see it the top 30 SPs are really good. I see Dontrell Willis at #30. Not too bad.

There used to be a time when that #4 and #5 guy on a staff was a minor leaguer thrown to the wolves. Clay Parker, Brian Rose, Chris Michalak just to name three.

Now look at the depth. The A's #5 guy is a phenom in Harden. The lowly Expos' #5 is Claudio Vargas and he isn't exactly chopped liver. The talent is definitely reaching the majors.

Yes, free agency and big money are making teams top heavy with the pitching...see Philly, Boston, NYY but there aren't as many teams scraping the bottom of the barrel for arms. And that is great for baseball.

I 100% agree ......
baseball goes in cycles and we are in the beginning of a shift. IMO
It should be funny to see all the people try and link it to the "S" word though.

Pitching is back people ... and its a 'great' thing. ;-D
I'll take a 2-0 game over a 10-9 game anyday ....
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers