Tommy John success stories - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tommy John success stories

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Tommy John success stories

Postby AllDay » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:24 am

Personally I like to see a little longer recovery time than Carpenter is on track for. A year (July 2007) is cutting it pretty close, and he is 33 which would tend to make me all the more skeptical (we generally don't heal as fast as we age).

It is possible, though - so if you have a DL spot to stash him in it can't really hurt you too much. Been considering it myself in a deeper league.

For comparison Liriano had his surgery in November 2006 and he is only 24. I have higher hopes for his return - but you never know.
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:49 am

hybrid wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:
DbacksRback wrote:Aj Burnett

When has he had success?

2004: 3.68 era 1.17 whip
2005: 3.44 era 1.26 whip
2006: 3.98 era 1.30 whip
2007: 3.75 era 1.19 whip

So since TJ he has had a 3.69 era 1.23 whip, looks pretty good all jokes aside. But yeah he has sucked this year.

He has pitched fairly well, but he has also been a disaster when it comes to staying healthy. If I was a doctor selling TJ to a pitcher I wouldn't want to use anything other than AJ's contract as a showcase.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:03 pm

I heard Madison had Tommy John surgery on his robot arm
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby hybrid » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:12 pm

Tavish wrote:He has pitched fairly well, but he has also been a disaster when it comes to staying healthy. If I was a doctor selling TJ to a pitcher I wouldn't want to use anything other than AJ's contract as a showcase.

As long as they have nothing to do with his repaired arm why not? (I'm not certain of his injuries the past few years) Also he has been somewhat injury prone his whole career, not just after TJ. For example he missed lots of time in 2000 and also time in 2001. He is pitching as well as he did before TJ, seems successful to me.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby thedude » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:06 pm

AllDay wrote:Personally I like to see a little longer recovery time than Carpenter is on track for. A year (July 2007) is cutting it pretty close, and he is 33 which would tend to make me all the more skeptical (we generally don't heal as fast as we age).

I believe Tommy John had his surgery when he was 32.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Tavish » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:18 am

hybrid wrote:
Tavish wrote:He has pitched fairly well, but he has also been a disaster when it comes to staying healthy. If I was a doctor selling TJ to a pitcher I wouldn't want to use anything other than AJ's contract as a showcase.

As long as they have nothing to do with his repaired arm why not? (I'm not certain of his injuries the past few years) Also he has been somewhat injury prone his whole career, not just after TJ. For example he missed lots of time in 2000 and also time in 2001. He is pitching as well as he did before TJ, seems successful to me.

Sure he was injury prone before the surgery, hence the need for the TJ. Most of the DL trips he has had since the surgery has been elbow issues. The surgery bought him one good year so far and the one big contract.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby AllDay » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:29 am

thedude wrote:
AllDay wrote:Personally I like to see a little longer recovery time than Carpenter is on track for. A year (July 2007) is cutting it pretty close, and he is 33 which would tend to make me all the more skeptical (we generally don't heal as fast as we age).

I believe Tommy John had his surgery when he was 32.

The point I was making is that a 32-33 year old might need a little longer than the minimum 1 year to return. Tommy John had his surgery in Sept 1994 and sat out the '95 season. He returned to pitch in the '96 season.

Carpenter is making his first rehab start almost exactly a year after his surgery. He might be ready and not show any ill effects at all - but in this case I would think he would be a better 'buy low' candidate next year than to expect much this year when he does return.
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers