Lincecum and Bochey - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lincecum and Bochey

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Lincecum and Bochey

Postby Guzman24 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:30 am

wow, now 80 degree heat is considered a threat too? if i have a pitcher who cant pitch in a friggin 80 degree atmosphere and throw 110 pitches when i need him too, then i wont even want/need him in the future. whats the point? if hes only throwing 80-90 pitches a game now, when do you expect him to be able to tough it out in a big game if need be? listen, im not saying let the kid throw 140 pitches, but hes reached 120 just once, and is averging like 105-110 pitches a game. not a big deal in the least. the asb gave him some rest even though he was a little dehydrated but come on.[/quote]

Im not saying 80 degree heat should be an issue but coupled with what transpired over the all star break don't you think it should at least factor in??
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:43 am

if we're talking 100 degrees, im with you. 80 degrees? thats below average for the summer time!

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guzman24 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:54 am

Snakes Gould wrote:if we're talking 100 degrees, im with you. 80 degrees? thats below average for the summer time!

I'm from Vancouver, Canada. Thats a cooker IMO :-b

Im not saying thats the sole reason man. I'm just putting everything together.

Young arm
Future of the franchise
Over 100 pitches
Not looking his sharpest
Hospitalized a few days ago for dehydration
80 degrees out
Team not going anywhere
FUTURE OF FRANCHISE

If I'm Bochy there's just no way I run him out there in the 7th. Sorry.
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:02 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
rjforlife wrote: down only 2-0 your 24 year old pitcher has thrown 112 pitches, a ton of them out of the stretch in high pressure situations

see i cant follow this logic. mentally sure, he could be over working him, but because the bases are loaded or the tying run is at 2nd, means nothing in terms of rotator cuffs, elbow ligaments, or obliques.

I don't think I agree... I don't know enough about the biophysics of pitching to say for certain, but I'd think that pitching in tougher situations would force a pitcher to reach back for that something extra or put a little more action on pitches to work out of those jams, which in turn could strain the elbow or shoulder. I don't recall who I heard talk about this before - someone on ESPN or a former player or someone like that.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby J35J » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:41 am

I'm going to go ahead and say that if a pitcher gets an arm injury he's going to get an arm injury....if he is babied early in his career that arm injury may just show up a couple years later in his career. I'd rather my guy, if he is going to get injuried, do it at a young age so he can come back and dominate as opposed to him going down in middle of his prime years...26-29 years old.

I also think a young kid could learn an awful lot about the game and himself when he goes back out after a decent # of pitches with the game still close at hand....good learning experience there and something I would want my ace/future ace to get accustomed too! I don't think 105-110 pitches is too much to get worried about. An ace should be able to handle that, IMO. And he is 24....its not like King Felix where they were working him along slow at 19,20,21 years old.

The key to me will be to see how many pitches he throws his next time or two out. If he goes 115+ plus again after 120+ then that doesn't look too good.

With all that said, Bochey knows this kid better than anyone else....some people can just go longer than most. 110 pitches isn't the same for every player.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:22 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
rjforlife wrote: down only 2-0 your 24 year old pitcher has thrown 112 pitches, a ton of them out of the stretch in high pressure situations

see i cant follow this logic. mentally sure, he could be over working him, but because the bases are loaded or the tying run is at 2nd, means nothing in terms of rotator cuffs, elbow ligaments, or obliques.

I don't think I agree... I don't know enough about the biophysics of pitching to say for certain, but I'd think that pitching in tougher situations would force a pitcher to reach back for that something extra or put a little more action on pitches to work out of those jams, which in turn could strain the elbow or shoulder. I don't recall who I heard talk about this before - someone on ESPN or a former player or someone like that.

he could reach back and put a little bit more on it in the 1st inning on an 0-2 count, looking to k the guy, thats not the point. a smart pitcher will be throwing his best (not necessarily) his hardest during tough times. if there's 2 on, with 1 out, he may try to throw a sinker to get a DP ball, or a curve to get him to pop up. i was talking in the actual literal sense in that his arm doesnt feel the pressure of the situation if its a tie game or whether its a blow-out.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jackie hayes » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:00 pm

Guzman24 wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:if we're talking 100 degrees, im with you. 80 degrees? thats below average for the summer time!

I'm from Vancouver, Canada. Thats a cooker IMO :-b

Im not saying thats the sole reason man. I'm just putting everything together.

Young arm
Future of the franchise
Over 100 pitches
Not looking his sharpest
Hospitalized a few days ago for dehydration
80 degrees out
Team not going anywhere
FUTURE OF FRANCHISE

If I'm Bochy there's just no way I run him out there in the 7th. Sorry.

Agreed. Plus, even though SF is cooler than most cities, a day game will still take more out of you. There were too many reasons to take him out, very poor decision.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 65)

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:15 pm

Obviously it is always a concern when a pitcher is going 100+ every outing. It's been well documented that excessive workload can lead to injuries. The only thing about Lincecum is that he pitched a ton in college which was the main reason why 9 other teams took a pass on him so I'm not as worried. He is also past his injury nexus and he doesn't seem to put as much stress on his arm, elbow and shoulder (although his back, hip and legs are a different story). If he keeps going well past the century mark every outing then it might be time to start worrying.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TurdFerguson » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:55 pm

I have not been on here in a while...What are peoples opinions now...He is throwing 110+ a game..He threw 138 last week..I'm somewhat worried about him going into next year..IMO he has been abused this year ..
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby J35J » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:06 pm

I think he'll be fine personally.....as fine as any pitcher can be anyway.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers