Lincecum and Bochey - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lincecum and Bochey

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Lincecum and Bochey

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:31 pm

freeling_prideful wrote:Since the beginning of June Lincy's pitch counts have been: 100, 83, 103, 108, 109, 116, 111, 105, 116, and then today's 121.

I'm inclined to say that usage pattern is a tad high, as he's averaged 107 pitches over the last 10. And only looking at his last 5, he's averaged about 114. Especially in a game like today, where it was a 2-0 game going against Lincecum...I mean, maybe you send him out there for 1 more if he's leading 2-0 and you have a shaky bullpen. But doing it in a losing effort was unnecessary. It made more sense in his 2 116 pitch starts, b/c he was pitching dominant ball (7 IP, 0 ER, 11 K and 8 IP, 1 ER, 9 K in those 2 efforts). But Lincecum wasn't doing all that well in this game.

Aside from the hiccup in the 2nd, Lincecum was rolling into the 7th. He struck out 8 and had put 7 men on base in 6 innings of work. He lost it in the 7th. I don't think it's Bochey's fault, nor do I think he's being overworked.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lordrevolution » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:50 pm

I miss the good old days where every day your starting pitcher would come out and pitch a complete game on half a day's rest after spending the entire night up drinking and womanizing. Guys these days are too soft, I say every pitcher that doesn't throw over 100 pitches before the game is over has to do laps around the field for the next six hours then throw 1000 pitches in the pen.
Lordrevolution
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DbacksRback » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:54 pm

hes fine 100 is safe side but 100+ is ok. I played with a pitcher in college who was 5'10 and threw 90+ led D2 in k's. He had a few games over 140 pitches and could come back 3 days fine. Yes that is not the best but im sure timmy can put up with some low 100 pitch games

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Postby TurdFerguson » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:10 am

I understand everyone's point of view but to say he is not being overworked is pretty senseless...There is no reason for him to be used this way for a team that is essentially going nowhere..He is very durable but he is to young and talented to risk it.
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby pangbones » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:29 am

Bochey has done the same thing with Cain numerous times!! I have no problem with him coming back out for the 7th, but after he hit Weeks I would have pulled him. And definitely after the hit to Hardy. Pitch counts are overrated to some degree. But when you stop getting outs, AND the franchise has thrown over 110 pitches, it's time to pull him!! Of course if he strikes out Braun, and gets Prince to GIDP we aren't having this conversation are we!! ;-)
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Guzman24 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:35 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:I understand everyone's point of view but to say he is not being overworked is pretty senseless...There is no reason for him to be used this way for a team that is essentially going nowhere..He is very durable but he is to young and talented to risk it.

why not just sit him down for the rest of the season and just let him throw some batting practice or simulated games? actually, the giants shouldnt be good for another 3-4 years, so why not sit him down until then?

Because he needs to progress as a pitcher and gain experience in real game situations. He won't get this tossing BP.

If you have a young talent like Timmy you need to be a bit more careful with him, especially when the team is terrible and the games are pretty meaningless.

Not to mention the kid just got out of hospital a few days ago suffering from dehydration. But ya..... lets run him out there for another inning in 80 degree heat when he's already thrown 107 pitches.

Thats just stupid if you ask me.
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:56 am

freeling_prideful wrote:Since the beginning of June Lincy's pitch counts have been: 100, 83, 103, 108, 109, 116, 111, 105, 116, and then today's 121.

120 is allegedly the "danger zone", and Timmy has only hit that once.
If he pitches well in his next start and gets surprisingly yanked after 90 pitches, I'd say Bochy is doing a good job with him. 120+'s are usually followed with a low-ceiling outing, if the pitcher has a good manager.

Ever thought Timmy pitched his 103/108/109/116/111/105/116, because he was actually good enough to get there, and most pitchers aren't?
:-?
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby smoovethug » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:27 am

Lordrevolution wrote:I miss the good old days where every day your starting pitcher would come out and pitch a complete game on half a day's rest after spending the entire night up drinking and womanizing. Guys these days are too soft, I say every pitcher that doesn't throw over 100 pitches before the game is over has to do laps around the field for the next six hours then throw 1000 pitches in the pen.

;-D

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers