Lincecum and Bochey - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lincecum and Bochey

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Lincecum and Bochey

Postby TurdFerguson » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:10 pm

Is anyone else worried that Bochey is going to run this kid into the ground? Ive seen on several occasions including today where he was at 110+
pitches and he sent him out the for another inning..Of course he gives up a 3 run homer. :-C
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Lincecum and Bochey

Postby jh2031 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:18 pm

I like it more when a manager trusts his pitcher and leaves a guy out there, especially with a talent like Tim Lincecum. Sure, he gave up a HR, but sometimes it works out just fine.
jh2031
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby TurdFerguson » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:38 pm

jh2031 wrote:I like it more when a manager trusts his pitcher and leaves a guy out there, especially with a talent like Tim Lincecum. Sure, he gave up a HR, but sometimes it works out just fine.

I understand what you're saying but this guy throws a ton of pitches each game...He was at 110+ today and his team was in it still and Bochey sends him back out there when he is clearly gassed...This guy is way to young to be abused that way..Is Bochey trying to pull a Dusty Baker?
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby RynMan » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:02 pm

I agree. I think it's a little too much to do that to a young pitcher in the first place, let alone a guy with Lincecum's body type.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:11 pm

The 100 pitch limit is hugely overrated. Some starting pitchers can go deep into games and throw more pitches than others without ill effect. I don't have a problem with Bochey sending him back out since the Giants still had a good shot at that point. Like "jh2031" said it's nice when a manger trusts their guy enough to send him back out.

Since Lincecum has never shown signs of injury, has consistently and effectively thrown this many pitches before and just had an extended rest over the All-Star break I don't see why this is necessarily an issue.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Guzman24 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:40 pm

I think he's leaving him in way too long.

The Giants aren't going anywhere this season. Now is not the time to be abusing your arms who are the future of your club.
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:52 pm

if it was 125 or 130 pitches ok, but 110? not a big deal.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rjforlife » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:14 pm

2-0 Game. 7th inning and he has thrown 107 pitches. Didnt have his best stuff but was still going ok. Regardless if you send him out there or not, you have someone up and ready in the pen. Right? Wrong. Hits Weeks. Hes out right? Wrong. Single to Hardy. Ok now he has to come out. down only 2-0 your 24 year old pitcher has thrown 112 pitches, a ton of them out of the stretch in high pressure situations and one of the best hitters in baseball is up with no out and two on. how in the world can you leave him in. there is no way he faces braun. weeks, ok. hardy, a stretch but fine. but he didnt get either of them out and he was already stretching to get to the 7th. I say he is working the young man much too hard and also doing a poor job of recognizing when its time to take the kid out when he should. Did anyone see the detroit game today? 25 year old verlander was yanked with 2 outs in the 9th up 4 runs after he walked his second batter of the inning. the kid was shocked he came out, but leyland recognized that he didnt have the best stuff and didnt want to jeopardize the teams chances at winning and also at 105 pitches he did not want to unneccesarily wear down his young pitcher. lincecum is the future of the giants. i know they have a lot of young talent but he is the centerpiece. you have to protect him arm to some respect. i am not saying they need to baby him, but dont treat him like hes livan hernandez who can throw 190 pitches and not feel a thing.....
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:18 pm

rjforlife wrote: down only 2-0 your 24 year old pitcher has thrown 112 pitches, a ton of them out of the stretch in high pressure situations

see i cant follow this logic. mentally sure, he could be over working him, but because the bases are loaded or the tying run is at 2nd, means nothing in terms of rotator cuffs, elbow ligaments, or obliques.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby freeling_prideful » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:26 pm

Since the beginning of June Lincy's pitch counts have been: 100, 83, 103, 108, 109, 116, 111, 105, 116, and then today's 121.

I'm inclined to say that usage pattern is a tad high, as he's averaged 107 pitches over the last 10. And only looking at his last 5, he's averaged about 114. Especially in a game like today, where it was a 2-0 game going against Lincecum...I mean, maybe you send him out there for 1 more if he's leading 2-0 and you have a shaky bullpen. But doing it in a losing effort was unnecessary. It made more sense in his 2 116 pitch starts, b/c he was pitching dominant ball (7 IP, 0 ER, 11 K and 8 IP, 1 ER, 9 K in those 2 efforts). But Lincecum wasn't doing all that well in this game.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers