Has Ankiel got anyone else thinking? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Has Ankiel got anyone else thinking?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Has Ankiel got anyone else thinking?

Postby thedude » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:47 pm

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
rjforlife wrote:I thought you were going to suggest that Prior take this route. Pitching obviously isnt working for him and he could clearly always handle a bat as good as any pitcher sans CC.

Lets see how Loewen does with it before we suggest anyone else try.

The swing of a bat is such an unnaturally violent motion that I think most teams would be hesitant to let their pitchers take regular batting practice.

Many pitchers played a position in HS/College and some where pretty decent hitters, but the value of a quality pitcher seems to outweigh an occasional at bat.

It has always surprised me though that some AAA hitter never tried to develop a knuckleball and become a reliever. Think about a guy like Wakefield who could PH.

Well Tim Wakefield was a triple A hitter who developed a knuckle ball. Dave McCarty in 2004 tried to be a 1stbaseman/ middle reliever; there have been a few other guys who been utility players/ mop up guys.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:35 am

thedude wrote:
Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
rjforlife wrote:I thought you were going to suggest that Prior take this route. Pitching obviously isnt working for him and he could clearly always handle a bat as good as any pitcher sans CC.

Lets see how Loewen does with it before we suggest anyone else try.

The swing of a bat is such an unnaturally violent motion that I think most teams would be hesitant to let their pitchers take regular batting practice.

Many pitchers played a position in HS/College and some where pretty decent hitters, but the value of a quality pitcher seems to outweigh an occasional at bat.

It has always surprised me though that some AAA hitter never tried to develop a knuckleball and become a reliever. Think about a guy like Wakefield who could PH.

Well Tim Wakefield was a triple A hitter who developed a knuckle ball. Dave McCarty in 2004 tried to be a 1stbaseman/ middle reliever; there have been a few other guys who been utility players/ mop up guys.

I remember McCarty now, good call. I don't recall, but I dont think Wakefield was much of a hitter. I was thinking more of an Eric Patterson type. A guy whos not quite good enough for the bigs, but if he could bring something extra to the table might stick.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:45 am

thedude wrote:Well Tim Wakefield was a triple A hitter who developed a knuckle ball. Dave McCarty in 2004 tried to be a 1stbaseman/ middle reliever; there have been a few other guys who been utility players/ mop up guys.

Unless Im totally missing something, no he wasn't. He only played some rookie ball as a 1B/3B, and barely got a taste of Low A (he couldn't hit at either level).
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kab21 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:41 am

Brooks Kieshnick is the last player that saw extended playing time (and relative success) on both sides of the ball with the Brewers.

Kieshnick stats
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 158)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers