Has Ankiel got anyone else thinking? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Has Ankiel got anyone else thinking?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Has Ankiel got anyone else thinking?

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:42 am

Why don't certain pitchers bat for themselves in the AL, or even play the DH position while not pitching? Guys like Ownings could certainly be quality MLB hitters if they focused on it more, and I don't see how hitting DH or playing the OF could hurt their rest days as a pitcher. Just think about it... imagine if Ankiel hadn't fallen apart. He could have been a 15-game winner every season with 40+ homers. It seems like a waste of talent to limit slugging pitchers to only one of the two positions.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Has Ankiel got anyone else thinking?

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:00 am

It takes so much work to succeed full-time at either one (in MLB) that I'm not sure anyone could be really good at both. therefore, it makes more sense to become good at one, rather than just being an average MLB P and a decent-to-crappy MLB hitter (which is what most of these pitchers actually are....)
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Leena » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:41 am

When Ankiel was pitching, he wasn't a good hitter. Small sample size, I know.

It's just not a viable option when teams can get say Jack Cust or Milton Bradley for little. Plus, it seems like using the DH to rest players in the field is becoming the norm.

Maybe the Mariners should give Felix the bat, though. Not as if it would hurt...
Leena
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kab21 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:36 am

It's physically demanding enough just to pitch every five days. Even if you're just DH'ing you're missing valuable recovery days. And you're practice time is split between the two disciplines meaning that both would regress. Not to mention the hours of film that players are watching would double. Somebody might be able to do it, but I think they would physically and mentally burned out before midseason.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby thedude » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:17 am

Even 90 years ago it wasn't possible. Babe Ruth had to move from pitcher to right to focus on hitting. It is just not possible to do both well.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby great gretzky » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:34 am

even if someone could do both well (I am sure that if Deion Sanders can play two entirely different professional sports at the same time, and the two sports that require the most off-field study) SOMEONE could do both well if they were incredibly gifted. That being said, if the person were better at pitching than hitting, I am sure the team would determine that its worth missing out on the player's hitting in favor of keeping the arm in tact. Obviously, such a player would be invaluable in the NL. Probably not going to happen though. This to me seems right up there with the ambidextrous pitcher.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:38 am

thedude wrote:Even 90 years ago it wasn't possible. Babe Ruth had to move from pitcher to right to focus on hitting. It is just not possible to do both well.

Anything is possible if you put your mind to it. Never give up.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby acsguitar » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:17 pm

Its got me thinking I hate myself for dropping him in a franchise league when he was batting like .220
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby rjforlife » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:01 pm

I thought you were going to suggest that Prior take this route. Pitching obviously isnt working for him and he could clearly always handle a bat as good as any pitcher sans CC.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:34 pm

rjforlife wrote:I thought you were going to suggest that Prior take this route. Pitching obviously isnt working for him and he could clearly always handle a bat as good as any pitcher sans CC.

Lets see how Loewen does with it before we suggest anyone else try.

The swing of a bat is such an unnaturally violent motion that I think most teams would be hesitant to let their pitchers take regular batting practice.

Many pitchers played a position in HS/College and some where pretty decent hitters, but the value of a quality pitcher seems to outweigh an occasional at bat.

It has always surprised me though that some AAA hitter never tried to develop a knuckleball and become a reliever. Think about a guy like Wakefield who could PH.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers