All Star week should NOT count in H2H - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

All Star week should NOT count in H2H

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: All Star week should NOT count in H2H

Postby kab21 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:57 am

Couldn't you make a special rule in the preseason for the short week? Even if yahoo won't let you set a minimum IP for the week there is no reason that your league couldn't handle this outside of yahoo.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdsun1 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:02 am

I totally agree and I am in fact strongly opposed to H2H leagues in general. Way too much luck involved in H2H. I have seen numerous teams that were stacked still not make the playoffs because they just have incredibly bad matchup luck.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby yak rider » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:45 pm

i've been a fantasy baseball player for more years than i can recall. i personally prefer h2h over roto myself. i have played both dozens of times. the all star week issue might be a small irritant but can be solved either prior to the year or by comish decree. but i find most players in the league keep interest most all of the year if not to the end. i have found over and over in regular roto that those behind in era's and whip's and averages etc have basically no chance of catching up in those categories and either show little interest or give up completely. those cats move so little at this point that usually only a handful of competing teams remain interested. again, the leagues i have played in for the most part are single year leagues and not keepers. if it were keeper leagues i can see poorer teams keeping interest by trading some of their players for the bruces' and kershaws of the world. however, i for one enjoy h2h much better. jmo.
'
yak rider
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby freeling_prideful » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:46 pm

Haha, I know what you mean. I have a 10 week win streak, so it sucks that I'm probably going to lose this week.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:00 pm

Yeah I agree that it shouldn't count. 3 days is not nearly enough sample size to work with but what can you do?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:05 pm

yak rider wrote:i've been a fantasy baseball player for more years than i can recall. i personally prefer h2h over roto myself. i have played both dozens of times. the all star week issue might be a small irritant but can be solved either prior to the year or by comish decree. but i find most players in the league keep interest most all of the year if not to the end. i have found over and over in regular roto that those behind in era's and whip's and averages etc have basically no chance of catching up in those categories and either show little interest or give up completely. those cats move so little at this point that usually only a handful of competing teams remain interested. again, the leagues i have played in for the most part are single year leagues and not keepers. if it were keeper leagues i can see poorer teams keeping interest by trading some of their players for the bruces' and kershaws of the world. however, i for one enjoy h2h much better. jmo.
'

I agree with that. Roto leagues offer the best indication of how teams actually rank against each other, but by the end of the year only half the league is still interested - in some cases it's even less than that. I've always found H2H leagues more exciting because there is a bit of luck involved, whether that's fair or not, it adds to the uncertainty and turmoil of fantasy baseball.

It seems like in Roto leagues you have a general idea of how the final standings will turn out a month or two before the season actually ends. When in H2H leagues you'll find teams either rising or falling sharply in the standings much more frequently. Last year in one of my H2H leagues there was a team that was towards the bottom of the standings for the entire first half. He had a couple of players get hot in the second half, ended up just making the playoffs where knocked off two of the better teams in the first and second rounds. He lost the Championship Game by a good sized margin but just getting there was considered a heck of an accomplishment. That kind of run wouldn't have been possible in a Roto league, where he'd have probably ended up finishing in the middle of the standings.

As for the All-Star week dilemma, I've always wondered why they couldn't simply combine this shortened week with the following week. I'd rather have an extended game than a severely shortened one like this.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:51 pm

I loathe All-Star week for H2H leagues. Makes me wonder why couldn't leagues just include the first 3 days of next week's action into the All-Star Week's matchup while scoring the next week's matchup as a standard week.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby smoovethug » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:45 pm

Yoda wrote:Yeah I agree that it shouldn't count. 3 days is not nearly enough sample size to work with but what can you do?

Cry about it. ;-7

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:21 pm

Yeah roto is the best determination of a team in fantasy bar none, as has been stated, but H2H is more entertaining because it creates artificial excitement with a match up system, and complete luck of the draw playoff system.

I like to compare it to NCAAB to NBA, in college the 3pt line is so far in that it creates a distinctly greater possibility for upsets, because a team can get hot from behind the arc much easier and really use that to overcome real disadvantages. While it is less of a legitimate competition in that regard, it's also can be more exciting.

However, to actually comment on this topics concern I agree, AS week should not count, it is frequently home of the most lopsided scores throughout the year, and creates great frustration. I'm hate to think of losing a playoff spot or 1st or 2nd seed because I went 2-8 in AS week thus being a major factor in a down the stretch race.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ursa » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:06 pm

My opponent today has got a hold and a SB, so he'll win both those 1-0. I'm going to lose this week 9-3 or worse thanks to a slow batting start - which I was rapidly catching up on - and am now completely doomed for the year. Yes, the ASB week sucks.

Football season started today.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers