All Star week should NOT count in H2H - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

All Star week should NOT count in H2H

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

All Star week should NOT count in H2H

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:13 am

I'm just freaking annoyed that basically four days of baseball counts in H2H leagues and that Yahoo adjusts the minimum innings for ALL leagues (even custom) so that you can't require a minimum inning limit. Having someone win pitching stats with 1 inning pitched because of a save with 0.00 ERA and WHIP seems so screwed up. It's totally screwed with the standings in our league as ALL the awful teams are pretty much winning due to only starting RP.

Couldn't they adjust it so that the stats for Monday and Tuesday of the following week count for both weeks and keep the inning min in place? Or at least give custom leagues the option of keeping the minimum in place?

I can't be the only one thinking this.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: All Star week should NOT count in H2H

Postby Old_Style » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:18 am

That's the nature of the beast my friend. The other 20 or so weeks of play should even everything out.

You could always abandon H2H play and switch to roto.. ;-D
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:23 am

Old_Style wrote:That's the nature of the beast my friend. The other 20 or so weeks of play should even everything out.

You could always abandon H2H play and switch to roto.. ;-D

I totally agree that roto is a better measure of the overall ability of a team. However, when you're playing with friends, it's more exciting to have direct matches with them twice a year. Thus, it's hard to convince everyone to switch.

My league happens to have two teams that are head-and-shoulders above the rest of the teams. The margin between me and the other team is razor-thin, and it annoys me to realize that this week will probably settle who takes the top seed. Considering most teams pitch 50+ innings in a week, I don't get why they don't just set the requirement at 18 innings, or 1/2 the normal requirement, or something.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby zevon » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:41 am

I hear ya tinfoil.
I run a 10 X 10 which has IP, Losses , Holds, K/9, K/BB in addition to the standard 5 cats.
I use a 27 Min IP and temper streaming with the possible penalty in "Loss" category. It irks the crap out of me that my 2cd place team is getting whacked by a non-playoff team who got a 1 IP 3 K save from Fuentes on Thursday.
We use Minimum Innings to prevent this, let us decide how many innings for a short week...
zevon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:49 am

zevon wrote:I hear ya tinfoil.
I run a 10 X 10 which has IP, Losses , Holds, K/9, K/BB in addition to the standard 5 cats.
I use a 27 Min IP and temper streaming with the possible penalty in "Loss" category. It irks the crap out of me that my 2cd place team is getting whacked by a non-playoff team who got a 1 IP 3 K save from Fuentes on Thursday.
We use Minimum Innings to prevent this, let us decide how many innings for a short week...

Exactly. This should just be a league setting when you form the league. That wouldn't be hard to setup at all. I'd gladly reduce the min innings even to 9, so that you'd have to start at least ONE guy. I think next season I'm going to explain as commish, you need to start at least one guy during all-star week or you get your team locked for a week. It's just not fair. Who you draw during the all-star week has a HUGE impact on the rest of your season the way it currently sits.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jealousblues » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:59 am

its a little bit of chaos that makes the game slightly more interesting.
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Leena » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:16 am

I agree, but to say it makes a huge impact is a stretch.

So, someone only plays Fuentes. Unless you're in a very unique league, you can still win about half (and probably more than half) of the pitching categories.
Leena
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:01 am

Leena wrote:I agree, but to say it makes a huge impact is a stretch.

So, someone only plays Fuentes. Unless you're in a very unique league, you can still win about half (and probably more than half) of the pitching categories.

That's fine, except when your team is based around pitching When you usually win 4-5 of the 6 pitching cats, winning only 3 is a a huge problem. Plus there is the issue that you can then win OPS and average and get 5-6 points easy in my 12 point league facing a team that would normally go something like 3-9 or 2-10 against you. I don't know, the whole thing just gives me a bad taste.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:44 am

I'm losing 8-2 this week because of this, and I may drop from my 5 game lead in 1st place. :-S
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby rainman23 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:06 am

I agree that "huge" is probably a little strong. I think the bigger impact of the short week is that a LOT of tendencies fly out the window. I've got a strong offensive team, but had a couple miserable days. Usually there'd be time for normalcy to reassert itself, but not this week. If I don't have the mother of all days today, I'm looking at maybe the rare shutout -- with me on the wrong end. I'm not complaining, that's the nature of the short week, and it only happens once a year. In a lot of leagues that factor is way bigger than the innings thing, though. We don't have anyone in my league who's exploiting that loophole.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers