The Dark Knight(SPOILERS VERSION) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The Dark Knight(SPOILERS VERSION)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Dark Knight(SPOILERS VERSION)

Postby Pablo975 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:09 pm

and that's exactly the Riddler these flicks should get. And most of Batman's core villians are a little silly; Penguin, Joker, Riddler, etc. They're just usually played slapstick silly rather than how they should be portrayed: dangerous, crazy, Charlie Manson silly. Which is hoe Ledger played Joker.

And admit it, seeing Robin beaten to death with a crowbar and then blow up and Bats carrying his dead carcass would rule.

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:55 am

I'll take the dissenting opinion with The Dark Knight. Other than Ledger's performance which was outstanding, I thought the rest of the movie was not any better than the last few movies before the Batman reset. The plot was scattered to the point of being unbearable at times, the deep Batman voice was grating and aggravating, and by the time the movie ended I was completely uninterested in the Dent/Two-Face storyline. It is never a good sign when you are hoping that they show more Wayne and less Batman and I found myself at that point several times in the movie.

As unpopular as that view might be, I'll go even further and say that as great as Ledger was I still think Nicholson was better. Jack certainly didn't have the same type of dialogue to work with that Heath did, but I think overall the performance was better.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:05 am

Something I remembered -- was anyone else miffed at Batman's ability to bend the barrel of a gun at a 90 degree angle, and crush a car in the opening sequence with him in it?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

Postby Yoda » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:47 am

Tavish wrote:I'll take the dissenting opinion with The Dark Knight. Other than Ledger's performance which was outstanding, I thought the rest of the movie was not any better than the last few movies before the Batman reset. The plot was scattered to the point of being unbearable at times, the deep Batman voice was grating and aggravating, and by the time the movie ended I was completely uninterested in the Dent/Two-Face storyline. It is never a good sign when you are hoping that they show more Wayne and less Batman and I found myself at that point several times in the movie.

As unpopular as that view might be, I'll go even further and say that as great as Ledger was I still think Nicholson was better. Jack certainly didn't have the same type of dialogue to work with that Heath did, but I think overall the performance was better.

You are entitled to your opinion of course. Two things I do agree with: Dent's storyline should have ended with him becoming Two Face and maybe expand on his story in the next installment. Batman's raspy voice did get annoying after a while. He did that in Batman Begins but I'm not sure if it was really necessary to change his voice in that manner.

I liked Ledger's Joker better than Nicholson's. They were both good but Ledger's joker had more depth and he was much more believable.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Inukchuk » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:08 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Something I remembered -- was anyone else miffed at Batman's ability to bend the barrel of a gun at a 90 degree angle, and crush a car in the opening sequence with him in it?

If Billy Butler can do it, I don't see why Batman can't...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby great gretzky » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:59 pm

I thought his suit accented his strength some (as far as the movie's rules went).
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Tavish » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:49 pm

Yoda wrote:I liked Ledger's Joker better than Nicholson's. They were both good but Ledger's joker had more depth and he was much more believable.

I think Ledger's Joker was much deeper and more believable, but I attribute that more to the script than the actor. Both did a really good job of making their performance fit the style of the movie. But much of Ledger's mannerisms were taken directly from Nicholson's adaptation. He didn't bring much new to the role.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:59 pm

Tavish wrote:I'll take the dissenting opinion with The Dark Knight. Other than Ledger's performance which was outstanding, I thought the rest of the movie was not any better than the last few movies before the Batman reset.

Have you actually seen Batman Forever and Batman and Robin recently?

I have.:-o
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Phatferd » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:28 pm

I want to reiterate that I liked TDK, but still think Batman Begins was a better movie.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Inukchuk » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:44 am

Phatferd wrote:I want to reiterate that I liked TDK, but still think Batman Begins was a better movie.

I think there's so much hype over the new one, a lot of people forget about Begins. I don't think I can choose one over the other, as they work well together. Hopefully we can get one more Nolan flick to bookend a great trilogy...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk