The Dark Knight(SPOILERS VERSION) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The Dark Knight(SPOILERS VERSION)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Dark Knight(SPOILERS VERSION)

Postby JTWood » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:12 pm

MSNBC's take on the "Nolan-ability" of Batman enemies:

Femme fatales: Catwoman and Talia al Ghul
Nolan-ability rating: Catwoman: A-. Talia al Ghul: B-
Catwoman seems almost certain to show up eventually if the current Batman series continues. Talia, on the other hand, probably won’t unless R’as al Ghul also returns, given her character’s intertwined relationship with both men.

Costumed crime lords: Penguin, Black Mask, Scarface and The Ventriloquist
Nolan-ability Rating: Penguin: D. Black mask: B. Scarface: D.
A better pick might be Black Mask, a ruthless and brutal crime boss who takes his name from his ebony skull disguise, and comes with the twist that he bears a grudge against Bruce Wayne rather than his Batman alter ego.

Monster men: Man-Bat, Killer Croc and Clayface
Nolan-ability Rating: B+ for all three.
Visually these guys are among Batman’s most interesting villains, but there’s one potential problem: So far, Nolan’s movies have steered clear of overtly fantastical elements. R’as al Ghul, for instance, is basically immortal, but that’s only hinted at in his appearance in “Batman Begins.” If Nolan decides that monsters will work in his Bat-world, all bets are off.

The puzzlers: The Riddler and Cluemaster
Nolan-ability Rating: The Riddler: B. Cluemaster: D.
The Riddler’s apparently got a pretty good shot at a future film, if you can believe comments made recently by Gary Oldman, who plays Commissioner Gordon in the series. Anthony Michael Hall has been rumored to play the role, and “Doctor Who” star David Tennant reportedly would love to do it.

There were others that are almost certainly off the table. Frankly, I wouldn't be opposed to a new bad guy.

Wiki list of all villains here.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:15 pm

Riddler has always been one of the more intriguing of the Batman villains (though i never read the comics). A criminal masters mind who wants to test his opponent. As the Joker tested batman's morals, the Riddler would test his mind.

nsulham wrote:I highly doubt they would make Reese the Riddler. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's the last we've heard of Reese. Yes he knew Bruce was Batman but remember Bruce saved his life by coming between the SWAT truck carrying Reese and the oncoming truck. They even had that cutaway where Bruce and Reese locked eyes and Bruce just nodded at him. So if they want the Riddler to be in the next movie fine, but it won't be Reese, not after Bruce saved his life.

Unless they want to move farther away from the Batman comics, Reese cannot be the Riddler. Edward Nigma is the riddler.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby thedude » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:23 pm

Here is an interesting interview with Oldman,

When asked if he thought they should recast Ledger for the third film, or just not include the character, Gary thought it was a good idea, "I don't see why not. I mean, they did it with Katie Holmes' character. I understand that this is a different circumstance, but I think another actor could do the job. I think Heath would want another actor to do the job."

Oldman then took a moment to think about it some more, "Maybe we don't need the Joker. Because we'll have The Riddler." Yes, Oldman alluded to the fact that The Riddler may in fact be the next on-screen Batman villain.

http://www.movieweb.com/news/18/29618.php
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jlm53089 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:30 pm

thedude wrote:Riddler has always been one of the more intriguing of the Batman villains (though i never read the comics). A criminal masters mind who wants to test his opponent. As the Joker tested batman's morals, the Riddler would test his mind.

nsulham wrote:I highly doubt they would make Reese the Riddler. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's the last we've heard of Reese. Yes he knew Bruce was Batman but remember Bruce saved his life by coming between the SWAT truck carrying Reese and the oncoming truck. They even had that cutaway where Bruce and Reese locked eyes and Bruce just nodded at him. So if they want the Riddler to be in the next movie fine, but it won't be Reese, not after Bruce saved his life.

Unless they want to move farther away from the Batman comics, Reese cannot be the Riddler. Edward Nigma is the riddler.

I know its Edward Nigma, but do not forget Alias' do rule the universe so anything is possible.
Reese could be an alias for Nigma, and be a clue for Mr. Reese...

I dont know we will have to wait another 3 years for it, but man is this wait gonna be good!
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:31 pm

JTWood wrote:MSNBC's take on the "Nolan-ability" of Batman enemies:

Femme fatales: Catwoman and Talia al Ghul
Nolan-ability rating: Catwoman: A-. Talia al Ghul: B-
Catwoman seems almost certain to show up eventually if the current Batman series continues. Talia, on the other hand, probably won’t unless R’as al Ghul also returns, given her character’s intertwined relationship with both men.

Costumed crime lords: Penguin, Black Mask, Scarface and The Ventriloquist
Nolan-ability Rating: Penguin: D. Black mask: B. Scarface: D.
A better pick might be Black Mask, a ruthless and brutal crime boss who takes his name from his ebony skull disguise, and comes with the twist that he bears a grudge against Bruce Wayne rather than his Batman alter ego.

Monster men: Man-Bat, Killer Croc and Clayface
Nolan-ability Rating: B+ for all three.
Visually these guys are among Batman’s most interesting villains, but there’s one potential problem: So far, Nolan’s movies have steered clear of overtly fantastical elements. R’as al Ghul, for instance, is basically immortal, but that’s only hinted at in his appearance in “Batman Begins.” If Nolan decides that monsters will work in his Bat-world, all bets are off.

The puzzlers: The Riddler and Cluemaster
Nolan-ability Rating: The Riddler: B. Cluemaster: D.
The Riddler’s apparently got a pretty good shot at a future film, if you can believe comments made recently by Gary Oldman, who plays Commissioner Gordon in the series. Anthony Michael Hall has been rumored to play the role, and “Doctor Who” star David Tennant reportedly would love to do it.

There were others that are almost certainly off the table. Frankly, I wouldn't be opposed to a new bad guy.

Wiki list of all villains here.

No Harley Quinn huh? Interesting....
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby bceagles04 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:52 pm

So I was talking to a friend about the movie today, and, assuming that, like I said before, Two-Face lives on, we came to an awesome plot line for the next movie.

Take this with a grain of salt, since I am far from a true Batman comic book lover, but, Harvey Dent is now Two-Face, one side of him being a cruel, sick villain, one side of him, still the White Knight - as I said before, it is eerily similar to the Darth Vader complex. Anyway, the Riddler bursts onto the scene and begins to work with Two-Face. The two of them are wrecking havok on Gotham. Batman, like Luke Skywalker saw in his father, sees the good in Two-Face, and puts all efforts into getting him to remember what he once was. Blah blah blah, eventually Batman cracks Two-Face and he remembers his former self. With the combined strength of Batman and the White Knight, the Riddler stands no chance and Gotham is once more cured of a terrible villain.

I typed that really quick, it might not read well, but I could easily see something like that happening, especially cause Aaron (excuse the spelling) Eckhart was so likeable as Harvey Dent.

Thoughts?
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thedude » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:21 pm

bceagles04 wrote:So I was talking to a friend about the movie today, and, assuming that, like I said before, Two-Face lives on, we came to an awesome plot line for the next movie.

Take this with a grain of salt, since I am far from a true Batman comic book lover, but, Harvey Dent is now Two-Face, one side of him being a cruel, sick villain, one side of him, still the White Knight - as I said before, it is eerily similar to the Darth Vader complex. Anyway, the Riddler bursts onto the scene and begins to work with Two-Face. The two of them are wrecking havok on Gotham. Batman, like Luke Skywalker saw in his father, sees the good in Two-Face, and puts all efforts into getting him to remember what he once was. Blah blah blah, eventually Batman cracks Two-Face and he remembers his former self. With the combined strength of Batman and the White Knight, the Riddler stands no chance and Gotham is once more cured of a terrible villain.

I typed that really quick, it might not read well, but I could easily see something like that happening, especially cause Aaron (excuse the spelling) Eckhart was so likeable as Harvey Dent.

Thoughts?

I really think Dent is dead for 2 reasons:

1) Gordon mentioned five dead (killed in connection with 2 Face) the mob ming pin and his boss, the first corrupt cop, the second corrupt cop (he killed her, right?), and Harvey Dent/ 2 Face. that makes five dead, if Dent isn't dead who are the five dead?

2) The point of blaming Batman for 2 Face's crimes was to protect the legacy of Dent. If 2 face is alive and running around as a criminal (with half of Dent's face) then that would have been pointless and the public wpuld figure out pretty quick that Dent wasn't dead.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:36 pm

thedude wrote:
bceagles04 wrote:So I was talking to a friend about the movie today, and, assuming that, like I said before, Two-Face lives on, we came to an awesome plot line for the next movie.

Thoughts?

I really think Dent is dead for 2 reasons:

1) Gordon mentioned five dead (killed in connection with 2 Face) the mob ming pin and his boss, the first corrupt cop, the second corrupt cop (he killed her, right?), and Harvey Dent/ 2 Face. that makes five dead, if Dent isn't dead who are the five dead?

He did not kill her. He said she lives to fight another day and punched her out. The 5 dead people are the crooked cop, the mob boss, his driver, Harvey Dent himself... God I had the fifth one but I forget; but it wasn't the female corrupt cop...

2) The point of blaming Batman for 2 Face's crimes was to protect the legacy of Dent. If 2 face is alive and running around as a criminal (with half of Dent's face) then that would have been pointless and the public would figure out pretty quick that Dent wasn't dead.

Agreed. I do not see Two Face being in the third Batman installment.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby thedude » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:12 pm

bigh0rt wrote:He did not kill her. He said she lives to fight another day and punched her out. The 5 dead people are the crooked cop, the mob boss, his driver, Harvey Dent himself... God I had the fifth one but I forget; but it wasn't the female corrupt cop...

I thought he let her live, but i wasn't sure because i could only name 4 people dead from 2 Face.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wake » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:40 pm

I took this from the other TDK thread-

mweir145 wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:i really loved the movie but i think the end was definitely lacking a bit with the whole ferry scene. i mean i guess they were trying to show how the joker couldn't corrupt everyone but that neither ferry would blow the other up when they were told they would both be blown up otherwise is just silly. especially when one is full of convicts (i also thought the part where the convict threw the detonator out the window was kinda cheesy

This was one of my few problems with the movie. In real life, I don't think there's any doubt the people on those boats would have detonated their bomb, probably even within a few seconds.

It also bothered me how nonchalant everyone was when the one guy decided not to blow up the other prisoner's ferry. It seemed like everyone was indifferent to what he did with the detonator.

I also know that scene was supposed to show how the people of Gotham were actually moral people, but I don't see how someone could be blamed for choosing to blow up the other ferry. In reality, both ferries should've been blown up at midnight. Given that fact, do you really have the right to make a stand based solely on principles when there are children and other people who will die because of it?
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk