Strategies for Drafting by Position in Non-Keepers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategies for Drafting by Position in Non-Keepers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strategies for Drafting by Position in Non-Keepers

Postby d18Mike » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:43 am

When drafting by position in a non-keeper Roto Leagues is there any particular order you prefer -- or one that is recognized as optimal given that some positions (C, 2B for example) are pretty shallow)? Always wondered how others approach this. Thanks,
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BScott2133 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:50 am

it really all depends on how many teams are in your league..where your draft spot is..whether your 5X5 roto or h2h...all those come in play..
for example...Im in a 20 team 7X7 league...I had the 11th pick..somehow Prior fell that low, I could of had Giambi or Bonds, but being I had a chance for the BEST pitcher in the majors, I took him..commin into the 2nd round SS's were going quick and I wanted a good one, my opinion, I jumped on Renteria, some idiot took Jeter ahead of him, 3rd round..which is like the 51st pick...Smotlz is sittin there, I jump on it..its all about where you are in the draft and whats available..no real stratgey except to GO WITH THE FLOW!!!!!!!!
Go Mariners!
BScott2133
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LBJackal » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:28 am

I usually draft my IF first, with the exception of 1B. Catcher I usually wait on also, unless I can get a stud as a steal - but Piazza, Pudge, and Javy aren't sure-things, so I wouldn't risk a high pick on them.

Of course you have to grab anybody that falls, and if lots of people are drafting IF first, you might be able to get a steal like Halladay or Schilling much later than they should be drafted. RJ also seems to be drafted very late in some drafts. I got him 68th overall in one of my drafts, and Thome 53rd overall in the same draft.

Look for the steals (not SB's, you know what I mean) and IF to start off the draft is my advice. You can always get a good OF like Reggie Sanders much later in the draft.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers