Managing and the Devil on my Shoulder... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Managing and the Devil on my Shoulder...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Managing and the Devil on my Shoulder...

Postby YardBirds » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:00 am

So last night I had both Broxton and Balfour give me saves for a line of 0.00 ERA, 0.00 Whip, 19.29 K/9, 2 SVs for the week.

This gives more 4 of our 6 pitching categories for the week. My opponent started Johan Santana and John Maine, with 3 SVs from various relievers for a grand total of 0 Ws, 1 L, 3 SVs, 8.03 ERA, 1.86 Whip, and 5.84 k/9.

Now, in any other situation I would stand pat with no Min IP requirement and take my 4 of 6 cats... but

I am really thinking about starting all of my RP (Nathan, Rauch, Morrow, Broxton, Balfour and attempt to also win the SVs category and heck maybe even Wins.

Do you think this is being to greedy and will come back to bite me (fantasy karma) or do you think I have such a safe lead in my categories that I should try and take one more?

I am in 7th place and 12 games out of 6th (playoffs) and a huge win this week would put me about 5-6 games out of 6th...

What does the cafe think?
"I never used a corked bat...And if I took it to court I'd win that case." --Albert "Joey" Belle
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Managing and the Devil on my Shoulder...

Postby Bloody Sox » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:25 am

Answering the general question of whether you should take advantage of stated rules to try to win as many categories as possible, ABSOLUTELY. I assume you get one point per category, not a weekly win, right?

My initial inclination was to say that you should do your strategy, but I'm not so sure. One or two blowups by your relievers and you could lose ERA and WHIP very easily. If one of your pitchers went 1 IP and gave up 3 ER, your ERA would be 9.00 now and you'd lose that category.

Take your guaranteed 4 of 6 categories... or at the very least, cherry pick the relievers you use - maybe only put Nathan and Broxton in, or something like that. Protect your lead and make a half-hearted attempts at saves.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Inukchuk » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:20 am

Bloody's idea sounds good to me, too. You definitely shouldn't feel guilty...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby YardBirds » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:26 am

Inukchuk wrote:Bloody's idea sounds good to me, too. You definitely shouldn't feel guilty...

I don't feel guilty and would never... he knew the rules for this week as well as I did...

I was just asking whether or not I should get greedy or take my 4 cats in pitching and sit everyone for the weekend.
"I never used a corked bat...And if I took it to court I'd win that case." --Albert "Joey" Belle
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Inukchuk » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:40 am

Oh. !+)

I thought that the devil on your shoulder was telling you not to pitch the rest of your closers. In actuality, he was telling you to be greedy...gotcha.

I wish the devil on my shoulder gave me fantasy advice. Instead, he's always like, "Go ahead. Grease up the handicap ramp. It'll be fun." Or "Think of how funny it would be if you crapped in your neighbor's mailbox..." Stuff like that.
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

Postby YardBirds » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:42 am

Mine is very versatile, he gets me in trouble in real life and fantasy... but you know what they say...

Go to Heaven for the view, Hell for the company.
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Gang Green » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:09 am

Take the 4 out of 6 categories and be happy. You may win another 2 categories but you could give back two categories or more in pursuit of all 6 categories. Play the percentages and hope your team does well over the last six weeks. Close the 12 game gap week by week.
I could be wrong in what I'm saying but I'll be dead before I realize it.
Gang Green
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:49 am

Go for the win. The big win. You're currently not slotted in a playoff spot, never mind comfortable with one. If you want to make a push to get in, calculated risks like these are worth taking. Your opponent's ratios will need some real strong innings to bring them down to a reasonable level, and your K/9 shouldn't be in jeopardy, regardless. I think you stand a strong chance, if you start all your relievers, of taking 5 categories (all but Wins). What you may want to do is check the sports book every morning and if one of your reliever's teams is a big underdog, sit him, as there's a small likelihood of him recording a save, and a greater possibility of him getting the non-save appearance. I think you should definitely go for the kill, though.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby Inukchuk » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:53 am

bigh0rt wrote: What you may want to do is check the sports book every morning and if one of your reliever's teams is a big underdog, sit him, as there's a small likelihood of him recording a save, and a greater possibility of him getting the non-save appearance.

Wow. And I thought I used a lot of sources to make fantasy decisions. That is a damn fine idea. You sir, are my hero. O:-)
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BiggGC » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:10 am

YardBirds wrote:Mine is very versatile, he gets me in trouble in real life and fantasy... but you know what they say...

Go to Heaven for the view, Hell for the company.

LMAO! My devil does the same thing. Its always like"You are smart go ahead make that crappy trade, .Hey look at that girl your wife won't notice"
Thanks to WhiteSoxPride
BiggGC
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers