Brewers lock up Jenkins - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Milwaukee Brewers

Brewers lock up Jenkins

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brewers lock up Jenkins

Postby WebHamster » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:00 am

Maryvale, AZ (Sports Network) - The Milwaukee Brewers came to an agreement with outfielder Geoff Jenkins on a three-year contract extension that will keep him with the club through the 2008 season. As per team policy, financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The 29-year-old Jenkins was entering the final season of a four-year deal he signed with the team prior to the 2001 campaign.

The move comes after the Brewers traded star first baseman Richie Sexton to Arizona this offseason, and provides Milwaukee's fan base with a glimmer of hope that the team is serious about building a competitive team.

"I think this should show Brewers fans that Geoff wants to be at the front of the pack in helping our entire organization as we continue to work our way back to winning baseball," general manager Doug Melvin said.

Jenkins finished last season with a .296 average, 28 home runs and 95 runs batted in during 124 games played. A popular player in Milwaukee, Jenkins obtained the final All-Star position in the 2003 showcase game after being voted in by the fans. His season, however, was cut short by a fractured thumb that was sustained during a collision at the plate in late August.

"It was important to me to try and get this contract done here," said Jenkins. "The fans have treated me great since the day I was drafted by the Brewers back in 1995 and I want to be a part of the good years that I see ahead for this team."

Entering his seventh major league season, Jenkins owns a career .282 average with 122 homers and 391 RBI in 650 games.

Jenkins and his agent had set a Thursday deadline to reach an agreement on a contract extension or end negotiations. They did not want any distractions once the Brewers began exhibition games on Thursday.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 773)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Milwaukee Brewers