Jed Lowrie....worth a look? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Jed Lowrie....worth a look?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jed Lowrie....worth a look?

Postby rib217 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:05 pm

Lowrie has gotten the call and will be starting at SS while Lugo is out. This will give him SS eligibility in about 5 games. Anyone have any thoughts or insight on him? Worth a look in 12 team mixed leagues?
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jed Lowrie....worth a look?

Postby T-fence92 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:51 pm

he could be, depends how he plays. Lugo sucks and if Lowrie can play well he could be the everyday SS. He will probably become the everyday 3B when Lowell leaves.
T-fence92
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kab21 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:55 pm

T-fence92 wrote:he could be, depends how he plays. Lugo sucks and if Lowrie can play well he could be the everyday SS. He will probably become the everyday 3B when Lowell leaves.

Lowell just signed a 3 yr contract thru the 2010 season this year.

I think Lowrie might be a nice pickup depending on your league. He might disappoint, so it might be painful to have him as a starter immediately. I think he'll hit fairly well while Lugo is out. I've grabbed him for my bench.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 162)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:18 am

Don't expect much production from Lowrie this year. He will be platooning with Cora till Lugo gets back.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Marino's Isotoners » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:23 pm

Gordon Edes, Globe Staff wrote:ANAHEIM, Calif. - Julio Lugo has not begun rehabilitating from a torn left quadriceps muscle, which means the Red Sox should get a good gauge on whether Jed Lowrie will be their shortstop of the future.

Lowrie, who went hitless in four at-bats after replacing Lugo July 12, the day after Lugo was injured, got his second start yesterday at short since Lugo went on the DL.

"We want to play this kid a little bit," manager Terry Francona said before the game. "This kid is steady. He has good at-bats, and kind of looks like Bill Mueller. I'm not sure that's not exciting."

The biggest question surrounding the switch-hitting Lowrie is his ability to play short.

"He'll be measured by some by balls that he can't get to," Francona said. "But if he makes the routine plays consistently, makes the plays he's supposed to make, that's a good shortstop.

"You take someone's whole game, add it together, and ask, does it help you win games?"

Lowrie's game was a mixed bag yesterday. He started a nice double play in the fourth, but was eaten up by Torii Hunter's ball that exploded at his feet and continued into left field for a base hit that proved vital to the Angels' four-run rally in the seventh.

"He hit that right him," Francona said. "He put his glove down, but it went by him. That ball was crushed.

"Overall, I thought he did very well. He looked very natural. He had his feet under him. It was good to see."

Lowrie singled in the fifth, but struck out on three pitches from Angels reliever Scot Shields with the bases loaded to end the eighth.

"I haven't seen him play a ton," Francona said. "I'm looking forward to it."

Francona will give Lowrie long look at short
Marino's Isotoners
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:12 pm

Maybe someone to stash on the bench if you need the positional help. I don't expect exciting numbers out of him this year, but if the entire line-up gets going he could be a decent spot-starter.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Return to Injuries & Player Updates