Is Chris B. Young completely useless? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Chris B. Young completely useless?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Chris B. Young completely useless?

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:42 am

I got this guy recently as a throw-in on a trade, and wasn't really expecting anything big from him... however, he's just been completely ice-cold. Stuff I read in the pre-season in Baseball Prospectus and elsewhere had him pegged as an up and coming star and basically said he should put up ok numbers even with an expected BA between .240 and .260 because of the power/speed combo.

Well, he's got what, 5 steals this year? he's on pace for 22 HR, 78 RBI, 83 R & .228 BA. He's basically no better than Jack Cust at this point.

Anyone think he'll turn it around? I've heard he's trying to hit homers too often which is resulting in K's and pop-ups and some have speculated if they place him at the top of the line-up and try to emphasize the speed & contact a little more that he might fare better... does anyone think AZ knows what they're doing with this kid as far as getting the most out of his talent?

I would drop him outright, but I guess I'm still waiting around on his potential, like a lot of his owners probably are.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Chris B. Young completely useless?

Postby speedy27 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:16 pm

i feel your pain...i too am still holding on and waiting... :-S
speedy27
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:25 pm

I remember during our draft someone grabbed him late and I was like "Oh crap I totally forgot". Now I'm happy :)
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Yoda » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:32 pm

CBY was one of my biggest miss hits this year. I really thought that he would improve based on what he did in the Sep/Oct. Thankfully I only have him in one league and hoping he turns it around.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigwords » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:40 pm

He's good for runs, rbi's, and some decent pop. But everybody's expectations on this guy were way too high. The same went for Hunter Pence. The same is happening with Jay Bruce. And the same will someday soon for Cameron Maybin, Andrew McCutchen, and Colby Rasmus. Almost any young player who strikes out more than 20% of the time is going to need a few years to adjust. Even if the player's first couple hundred at bats seem phenomenal.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:52 pm

bigwords wrote:He's good for runs, rbi's, and some decent pop. But everybody's expectations on this guy were way too high. The same went for Hunter Pence. The same is happening with Jay Bruce. And the same will someday soon for Cameron Maybin, Andrew McCutchen, and Colby Rasmus. Almost any young player who strikes out more than 20% of the time is going to need a few years to adjust. Even if the player's first couple hundred at bats seem phenomenal.

Agreed for the most part.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby freeling_prideful » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:32 pm

On CNNSI, they had some ridiculous PECOTA projection which said that Young had a chance to break out and be the second best fantasy outfielder. They projected him for something like 265-35 HR-100+ RBI-110+ R-30 SB, which was already ridiculous considering his lineup spot. Apparently I read that he's currently on pace for the 10th percentile of his PECOTA projection, which is absurdly bad...my guess is he gears it up a little bit in the second half, I can see him hitting .245-.250 while pacing for 25 HR and 25 steals. His walk rate is up, so there's no reason he shouldn't be converting those into steal attempts unless he has some undisclosed minor injury (Eric Byrnes?) or the organization has just decided to cut down on running altogether (again possible, see Eric Byrnes).
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BuckeyeSal » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:57 pm

I thought the BA would stay the same but I thought he would be a 30/30 guy. I have no idea why he's not stealing, except that this year he looks lost out there. The D-backs had Carlos Quentin and 10 million a year to spend on an outfield plus Chris Young and Justin Upton so they signed Byrnes and Young to contract extensions and let Quentin go. Maybe the "In Hindsight" dumbest moves the past few years. Now they are stuck. The Byrnes deal was the worst.
BuckeyeSal
College Coach
College Coach

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:27 pm

I have Young in a dynasty and I'm still pleased with him, but then again I'm the patient type.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:38 pm

He's been pathetic against RHP this year (.599 OPS :-o :-o :-o ) so maybe it's worth letting him face LHP only until he heats up again.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers