moral dilemma - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

moral dilemma

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: moral dilemma

Postby Grouperman941 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:27 am

Our grocery stores have OK fried and rotisserie chicken -- Albertson's, WalMart, Publix -- and made fresh every couple hours or else in the fridge and marked as such.

To the point, I have a relevant story from when I was like 11 years old and saved up to buy an OkiMate color printer for my C-64. My mom took me to Toys R Us, because they had it on sale. It was a big deal at the time, so we had to take a security ticket to a pick-up window after paying to get the printer. We handed the ticket over, they handed us a box, and we left. It turned out the "bright young gentleman" at the window gave us a CASE of OkiMates -- three printers.

I was ready to sell the extra two, being a selfish young dude. My dad, a policeman, was OK with that -- their mistake, and noone would ever know. But Mom could not take the guilt, and we went back to the store the next day. The "bright young lady" at customer service did not know how to handle just taking an item back that was not purchased, and called her supervisor, who called SECURITY to come over to 'rectify' the situation -- by threatening to call the PD(!). They scared the crap out of my mom, who finally convinced them that she was doing a favor by returning something that was accidentally given to us.

I would enjoy my free chicken, consider it a lucky break, and move on. I'd be afraid of getting accused of shoplifting chicken. ;-7
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CheeseBeger » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:56 am

If I noticed before I got left the store I would certainly notify them. But also you should realize that shrinkage (shoplifting) is systematically incorporated into the price (ie we all pay a price for shoplifters) so if I realized later on I really wouldn't care too much. It is a natural consequence of hiring low-skilled workers / operating in the retail business.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby RynMan » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:35 am

Amazinz wrote:Yeah, Rynman, not to go preachy but remember that there are regular guys behind those million dollar companies with wives, children, mortgages, and lawns to mow. Crap rolls down hill. This is like software piracy. Kid your self all you want that you're sticking it to the man but it's always the little man paying up.

As I said, they are most likely marking up items well beyond their value anyway, so I doubt that them screwing up and unknowingly giving me two free pieces of chicken, will break their bank. The point is, that I'm not trying to stick it to the man - it's that it is a few dollars in the pocket....those few dollars mean more to me than they do to them.

TheA'sFatLeadoffMan wrote:Why wouldn't you alert though, what is the reason, because you want the free stuff? If you're right there at the counter and you notice it, not saying something could only be seen as wanting to cash in on someones mistake. I don't like that sort of thing, makes me think you might be the type to borrow money from someone and only pay up if they remember to ask for it...

Yes, because they screwed up. They charged me for 1, not 3, so I'll pay for 1. If I asked for 3 Ferraris and they only charged me for one, then I'd say something to the clerk. :-)
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:32 pm

i usually take situations like this on a case by case basis...last one i can recal was getting some new curtain rods from Bed Bath and Beyond and was pretty sure she missed one but didnt feel like having here recheck the order so i just figured "bonus"
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:56 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i usually take situations like this on a case by case basis...last one i can recal was getting some new curtain rods from Bed Bath and Beyond and was pretty sure she missed one but didnt feel like having here recheck the order so i just figured "bonus"

Know how I know you race cars?
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:09 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:i usually take situations like this on a case by case basis...last one i can recal was getting some new curtain rods from Bed Bath and Beyond and was pretty sure she missed one but didnt feel like having here recheck the order so i just figured "bonus"

Know how I know you race cars?

i knew i should have added "with my wife" in there
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:58 am

Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby curious_george_43545 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:05 pm

Why's he care no one downloads his music.
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to General Talk