moral dilemma - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

moral dilemma

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: moral dilemma

Postby curious_george_43545 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:09 am

Tell them they made a mistake and pay the rest that you owe. If they thank you for being honest and decline payment then fine, but pay the full bill and you'll feel a lot better about yourself.
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:44 am

AussieDodger wrote:You win some, you lose some.

This basically sums up how I feel.

I'm surprised you guys would all alert the clerk. I've never shoplifted in my life, and don't believe in stealing, but I wouldn't bother alerting them. Yes, you could argue it as stealing, but it's not like you picked up the chicken and walked out with it. It's the clerk's mistake for not paying attention. Sometimes I am cast into this situation - if it's a major, million/billion dollar company then I say who cares. They are probably getting my money back in other areas where they are marking up a product a ridiculous amount. If we are talking a small business, then yes, I definitely alert the clerk.

But yeah, the whole karma thing doesn't stick for me. I do enough good deeds. Call it a reward for my good deeds! :-)

And yeah Yoda, I can guarantee you've been short changed so many times that this isn't even close to making it up.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:10 am

LOL. Some of you act as if Karma is your personal bank account. As long as you keep it balanced, you're good to go. :-D

Yeah, Rynman, not to go preachy but remember that there are regular guys behind those million dollar companies with wives, children, mortgages, and lawns to mow. Crap rolls down hill. This is like software piracy. Kid your self all you want that you're sticking it to the man but it's always the little man paying up.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:22 am

Amazinz wrote:LOL. Some of you act as if Karma is your personal bank account. As long as you keep it balanced, you're good to go. :-D

Yeah, Rynman, not to go preachy but remember that there are regular guys behind those million dollar companies with wives, children, mortgages, and lawns to mow. Crap rolls down hill. This is like software piracy. Kid your self all you want that you're sticking it to the man but it's always the little man paying up.

So you don't agree with my penny cup argument?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby knapplc » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:48 am

The penny cup argument doesn't apply IMO because the express purpose of the penny cup is to help out when you're short one or two pennies. It also presupposes a level of awareness of the situation by both you and the cashier that clearly isn't there in the chicken scenario.

Let's put it this way - if that cashier had intentionally decided that they wanted to give you free chicken by not ringing all the pieces up, that would be theft, wouldn't it? I've worked in grocery stores and I know for a fact that people get fired for stuff like that all the time. So it wasn't intentional on the cashier's part (we can presume) so the penny cup isn't a good analogy.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:25 pm

RynMan wrote:

I'm surprised you guys would all alert the clerk. I've never shoplifted in my life, and don't believe in stealing, but I wouldn't bother alerting them. Yes, you could argue it as stealing, but it's not like you picked up the chicken and walked out with it. It's the clerk's mistake for not paying attention. Sometimes I am cast into this situation - if it's a major, million/billion dollar company then I say who cares. They are probably getting my money back in other areas where they are marking up a product a ridiculous amount. If we are talking a small business, then yes, I definitely alert the clerk.

But yeah, the whole karma thing doesn't stick for me. I do enough good deeds. Call it a reward for my good deeds! :-)

And yeah Yoda, I can guarantee you've been short changed so many times that this isn't even close to making it up.

Why wouldn't you alert though, what is the reason, because you want the free stuff? If you're right there at the counter and you notice it, not saying something could only be seen as wanting to cash in on someones mistake. I don't like that sort of thing, makes me think you might be the type to borrow money from someone and only pay up if they remember to ask for it...
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:28 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:We'd do things like put milk in our cereal just to the point where you couldn't see it in the bowl, and then fill up a cup of milk and tell em' that that was for the cereal so they wouldn't charge you for it.

Dude...I don't know if I'd admit to something like that on a public forum. They might still be looking for you.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:32 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
OneLoveBoomer wrote:We'd do things like put milk in our cereal just to the point where you couldn't see it in the bowl, and then fill up a cup of milk and tell em' that that was for the cereal so they wouldn't charge you for it.

Dude...I don't know if I'd admit to something like that on a public forum. They might still be looking for you.

No kidding. What's the statute of limitations on theft of lactose?
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Field » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:01 pm

RynMan wrote:

Quoted for truth.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:24 am

knapplc wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:

No kidding. What's the statute of limitations on theft of lactose?

I said we'd do things "like" put milk in our cereal, etc. "Like." What followed was purely hypothetical. That's my defense when they come after me. :-o
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk