moral dilemma - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

moral dilemma

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

moral dilemma

Postby Yoda » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:10 pm

Let's say you walked into the grocery store and bought 3 pieces of fried chicken. You see that they put 3 separate labels (thigh, breast, leg) for your meal and you notice this. You bring up the bag of chicken to the counter and realize that the clerk only scanned once. Now, in your mind you got 2 pieces of free chicken which makes you very happy. On the other hand, you feel guilty for not alerting the clerk. As a non-church going but believing in a higher power of some sort (aliens?) person, do you feel bad about what just happened and would you do it again?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: moral dilemma

Postby hybrid » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:22 pm

So your basically asking if someone has morals or not? It doesn't seem like much of a dilemma. :-b

Anyways if you notice what's happening as it's going on, yes I would tell the person. You might as well just be stealing otherwise. If you don't notice till later on and you've left and are at home, I wouldnt worry about it as much though I might feel bad for not noticing earlier ... just make sure it doesnt happen the next time.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby bigken117 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:36 pm

If you notice at the time, yeah I would say something for fear I'm being watched and it's a test of my morals. If I didn't realize till later, then that's their loss for not being good at their job, so no.

I went to Dunkin Donuts drive thru yesterday and realized when I pulled my balled up cash out of my pocket later the kid shorted me a buck. Punk. I guarantee he knew he did it on purpose.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:51 pm

It doesn't matter whether you believe in God, aliens, or the uni-mind. Karma is a bitch. Do onto others and all that good stuff. :-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hybrid » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:57 pm

Amazinz wrote:It doesn't matter whether you believe in God, aliens, or the uni-mind. Karma is a bitch. Do onto others and all that good stuff. :-)

Says the guy w/ Dexter in his avatar, I mean he's bad but good ... karma must be really confused by what to do with him. :-D :-?
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby urbanbreez » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:59 pm

Just tip your next waiter or waitress and extra 5 or 6 bucks more than you normally would and all will be right with the universe. Wouldn't you rather some hard working single mom or college student had the money than some big corporate grocery store? I would. Pay it forward.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:09 pm

First off, grocery store fried chicken is lousy for the most part. I'm talking about Albertson's and K-Mart, pretty darn horrible. I haven't had any of that for eons and I've never bought fried chicken from a grocery store ever.

Pretty much I'll agree with what everyone has said thus far. You should tell the cashier about their mistake and if you weren't aware of it by the time you got home, then basically I'd chalk it up as a sunk cost for them. You could go back to the store but you're probably not morally obligated to do so. I think no matter how religious you are or aren't, I'd believe all people should have some kind of inherent moral value system that transcends all religion, all in the name of the common good, for the sake of good in and of itself. Don't you think?

I'm disappointed in you Yoda...I thought this was about your wife and you visiting the Hot Chick thread. :-b

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Yoda » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:12 pm

Well, the way I see it, I don't always check my receipt or check what the clerk is scanning so I'm sure I paid for extra stuff here and there. Also, I view the situation like a penny cup: give a penny, take a penny. I got some chicken instead. But I still feel guilty so I won't do it again if the opportunity is there.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby urbanbreez » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:14 pm

Yoda's just trying to be a modern day Robin Hood. Should have walked out and gave the chicken (why the he77 are you buying chicken at a grocery store?) to the first homeless person you saw.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:18 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:First off, grocery store fried chicken is lousy for the most part. I'm talking about Albertson's and K-Mart, pretty darn horrible. I haven't had any of that for eons and I've never bought fried chicken from a grocery store ever.

Pretty much I'll agree with what everyone has said thus far. You should tell the cashier about their mistake and if you weren't aware of it by the time you got home, then basically I'd chalk it up as a sunk cost for them. You could go back to the store but you're probably not morally obligated to do so. I think no matter how religious you are or aren't, I'd believe all people should have some kind of inherent moral value system that transcends all religion, all in the name of the common good, for the sake of good in and of itself. Don't you think?

I'm disappointed in you Yoda...I thought this was about your wife and you visiting the Hot Chick thread. :-b

Well I know for sure that I will pay for it tonight but Vons chicken is pretty damn good if you get it when it comes right out of the fryer. I don't shop at Kmart so I can't give an unbiased opinion but that just seems gross thinking about it.

As far as the Hot Chick thread, I'm allowed to look. I just can't touch. I think I can talk and interact too but that is a bit trickier.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk