Trade: Blanton to the Phillies - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade: Blanton to the Phillies

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Trade: Blanton to the Phillies

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:44 am

1. blanton eats innings.
2. blanton is super cheap and not a FA for two years. (3.7 million a season)
3. cardenas was blocked in philly and from what i hear wasnt really all what he has been cracked up to be.
4. the phillies didnt want burnett. more than likely he wasnt going to opt out and the phils would be on the hook for 12 mil for the next two seasons and if he and blanton are putting up the same numbers, whats the point? (granted aj has much better stuff).
5. im just glad the phillies didnt do something rash by trading carrasco or marson.
6. i dont think blanton is all that good, but if he can save our bullpen more than eaton and give us 6 ip with 4 er, im happy. he'll be our number 2 starter if myers cant come back to old form.

ill give this move a :-]

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:49 am

This is one of those deals that just don't seem to make sense. Blanton really doesn't look at all like a desireable pitcher for a yard like Philly's. Who will be surprised to see him get rocked over and over again. It's one thing to be an ininng eater in a friendly park, but eating ininngs while getting shelled isn't going to work.

How soon can we expect to hear Cardenhas coming to the show?
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Raf » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:09 am

That sound you just heard was joe blanton digesting 27 philly cheese steak sandwiches
Raf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:11 am

Snakes Gould wrote:4. the phillies didnt want burnett. more than likely he wasnt going to opt out and the phils would be on the hook for 12 mil for the next two seasons and if he and blanton are putting up the same numbers, whats the point? (granted aj has much better stuff).

At this point, I think it's almost an 100% certainty that AJ Burnett will opt out. That's kind of the only reason the Jays are even thinking about trading him. He can get far more than 2 years and 24 million on the FA market, that should be pretty obvious with the insane contracts over the last few seasons. If he does happen to make the stupid decision and stay with his contract (can't see how his agent would let that happen, though), that's good for the team that acquires him because it's a bargain.

And AJ's peripherals are far better than Blanton's. He will start pitching around his career norm in a matter of time, while Blanton is basically a 5 ERA pitcher away from Oakland in his career.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:13 am

Snakes Gould wrote:1. blanton eats innings.

This isn't a good thing if they are bad innings. See Livan.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:27 am

mweir145 wrote:

agreed. but if blanton can get his ERA down below 4.50, he'll be fine enough.

i really dont know if burnett could get more than 12 mil per. i heard the phillies were willing to trade for him if he could guarantee them he would opt out and he wouldnt.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby richiro » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:14 am

This is one of those deals that just don't seem to make sense. Blanton really doesn't look at all like a desireable pitcher for a yard like Philly's. Who will be surprised to see him get rocked over and over again. It's one thing to be an ininng eater in a friendly park, but eating ininngs while getting shelled isn't going to work.

Blanton is a groundball pitcher, isnt he? I don't have any numbers on hand, but that's what I've heard. Also, Cardenas is blocked by the best 2b in the league so he was never gonna see the light of day in a Phils uni anyway. This was a risky move, but it is reminiscent of the pickup of Lohse last year (6-12 when aquired - Blanton at 5-12 now) ...who ended up being pretty reliable.

Burnett is better, no question, but he has all kinds of health/contract issues, and who knows what's going on with Bedard. I like the move...Phils didn't lose Carrasco or Marson and they get a guy who has the potential to be a solid/very solid No.2. If this trade goes down after last season, Nobody would argue Phils win big time.
richiro
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:47 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

agreed. but if blanton can get his ERA down below 4.50, he'll be fine enough.

There's no sign that he'll really be able to do that outside of Oakland.

i really dont know if burnett could get more than 12 mil per. i heard the phillies were willing to trade for him if he could guarantee them he would opt out and he wouldnt.

The only reason the Jays are trying to trade him is because it's pretty much a certainty he'll opt and attempt to make over 12 million next year by going to free agency. I mean look at what people like Carlos Silva, Gil Meche, and Ted Lilly got recently.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:40 am

He just can't promise that he won't opt out. If he has some sort of serious injury this season then $24M/2 is going to be looking pretty good to him. And with his injury history, there is a definite risk in guaranteeing an opt-out.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Wright2Reyes » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:50 pm

richiro wrote:

Blanton is a groundball pitcher, isnt he? I don't have any numbers on hand, but that's what I've heard. Also, Cardenas is blocked by the best 2b in the league so he was never gonna see the light of day in a Phils uni anyway. This was a risky move, but it is reminiscent of the pickup of Lohse last year (6-12 when aquired - Blanton at 5-12 now) ...who ended up being pretty reliable.

Burnett is better, no question, but he has all kinds of health/contract issues, and who knows what's going on with Bedard. I like the move...Phils didn't lose Carrasco or Marson and they get a guy who has the potential to be a solid/very solid No.2. If this trade goes down after last season, Nobody would argue Phils win big time.

Depends on who you believe, over at ESPN, Christopher Harris says he is, while Keith Law says he isn't.
Wright2Reyes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers