Trade: Blanton to the Phillies - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade: Blanton to the Phillies

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Trade: Blanton to the Phillies

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:57 pm

DVauthrin wrote:The problem is it would take two weeks of horrid baseball to change the GM's mind. It's highly unlikely enough happens in two weeks to make the GM do a 180 in these types of situations.

A bit of mediocre baseball would put them over 10 games behind a playoff spot with 2 months left. I think any competent GM can recognize it's over by then...I'd hope, especially when you can get prospect packages like these for a pitcher who is leaving.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DVauthrin » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:06 pm

mweir145 wrote:
DVauthrin wrote:The problem is it would take two weeks of horrid baseball to change the GM's mind. It's highly unlikely enough happens in two weeks to make the GM do a 180 in these types of situations.

A bit of mediocre baseball would put them over 10 games behind a playoff spot with 2 months left. I think any competent GM can recognize it's over by then...I'd hope, especially when you can get prospect packages like these for a pitcher who is leaving.

yes, but that requires riccardi to be competent doesn't it? :-D
hook em horns, go stros
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 13)

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:10 pm

RynMan wrote:From the A's point of view - don't necessarily see this as throwing in the towel. You could argue that Gio Gonzalez is an upgrade over what Blanton is right now. I'm pretty happy with this deal as an A's fan.

Of course. The other deal wasn't throwing in the towel either. The A's are still a better team than the Angels in my mind, even without Harden and Blanton.

Look at the 3rd order standings: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/stati ... ndings.php
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby bdrotoronto » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:13 pm

mweir145 wrote:
bdrotoronto wrote:
mweir145 wrote:The problem is, at this point, the Jays see themselves as contenders still

OK, but if that is true then it would just be more evidence of JP being asleep at the wheel :-S

I think Paul Godfrey is really the one with a lot of input on that decision. He was on radio today still saying they had a chance.

Sorry for the delayed response, I just threw up when I read that. :-* :-{ It says so much about the root of the Jays' problems.
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tmlfan4ever » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:11 pm

mweir145 wrote:
RynMan wrote:From the A's point of view - don't necessarily see this as throwing in the towel. You could argue that Gio Gonzalez is an upgrade over what Blanton is right now. I'm pretty happy with this deal as an A's fan.

Of course. The other deal wasn't throwing in the towel either. The A's are still a better team than the Angels in my mind, even without Harden and Blanton.

Look at the 3rd order standings: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/stati ... ndings.php

Let's not get carried away... without harden and blanton, there is no way Oakland is a better team than the A's.
tmlfan4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tmlfan4ever » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:13 pm

Just heard that Gio WILL be called up and face the yanks in his first start. Still searching for a source of the rumor.
tmlfan4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:28 pm

tmlfan4ever wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

Let's not get carried away... without harden and blanton, there is no way Oakland is a better team than the A's.

You mean the Angels. A team with an bad offense that is incredibly lucky to be where it is in the standings as shown there. Personally, I don't think the injury prone Harden and the incredibly mediocre Blanton are huge losses at all. Both places can easily be filled by Gallagher and Gio Gonzalez.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:34 pm

I was wondering if Brett Myers would end up being one of the minor leaguers... ;-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby YardBirds » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:43 pm

Why can't Baltimore take some mental notes and do this kind of deal with Daniel Cabrera...
"I never used a corked bat...And if I took it to court I'd win that case." --Albert "Joey" Belle
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:54 pm

I quite like this deal.
Obviously the A's probably won't use any of the players they got this year, so it is a win for Philly in 2008.
After 2008, it should be a good Oakland win. Cardenhas has the potential to be something really terrific.
The other two are a bit meh, but we did get a pitcher called Out-man, so at least it's entertaining. :-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers