Trade: Blanton to the Phillies - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade: Blanton to the Phillies

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Trade: Blanton to the Phillies

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:57 pm

DVauthrin wrote:The problem is it would take two weeks of horrid baseball to change the GM's mind. It's highly unlikely enough happens in two weeks to make the GM do a 180 in these types of situations.

A bit of mediocre baseball would put them over 10 games behind a playoff spot with 2 months left. I think any competent GM can recognize it's over by then...I'd hope, especially when you can get prospect packages like these for a pitcher who is leaving.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Trade: Blanton to the Phillies

Postby DVauthrin » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:06 pm

mweir145 wrote:
DVauthrin wrote:The problem is it would take two weeks of horrid baseball to change the GM's mind. It's highly unlikely enough happens in two weeks to make the GM do a 180 in these types of situations.

A bit of mediocre baseball would put them over 10 games behind a playoff spot with 2 months left. I think any competent GM can recognize it's over by then...I'd hope, especially when you can get prospect packages like these for a pitcher who is leaving.


yes, but that requires riccardi to be competent doesn't it? :-D
hook em horns, go stros
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7316
(Past Year: 13)
Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: katy, texas

Re: Trade: Blanton to the Phillies

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:10 pm

RynMan wrote:From the A's point of view - don't necessarily see this as throwing in the towel. You could argue that Gio Gonzalez is an upgrade over what Blanton is right now. I'm pretty happy with this deal as an A's fan.

Of course. The other deal wasn't throwing in the towel either. The A's are still a better team than the Angels in my mind, even without Harden and Blanton.

Look at the 3rd order standings: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/stati ... ndings.php
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Trade: Blanton to the Phillies

Postby bdrotoronto » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:13 pm

mweir145 wrote:
bdrotoronto wrote:
mweir145 wrote:The problem is, at this point, the Jays see themselves as contenders still

OK, but if that is true then it would just be more evidence of JP being asleep at the wheel :-S

I think Paul Godfrey is really the one with a lot of input on that decision. He was on radio today still saying they had a chance.

Sorry for the delayed response, I just threw up when I read that. :-* :-{ It says so much about the root of the Jays' problems.
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1708
Joined: 10 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade: Blanton to the Phillies

Postby tmlfan4ever » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:11 pm

mweir145 wrote:
RynMan wrote:From the A's point of view - don't necessarily see this as throwing in the towel. You could argue that Gio Gonzalez is an upgrade over what Blanton is right now. I'm pretty happy with this deal as an A's fan.

Of course. The other deal wasn't throwing in the towel either. The A's are still a better team than the Angels in my mind, even without Harden and Blanton.

Look at the 3rd order standings: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/stati ... ndings.php



Let's not get carried away... without harden and blanton, there is no way Oakland is a better team than the A's.
Image
tmlfan4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 438
Joined: 2 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Trade: Blanton to the Phillies

Postby tmlfan4ever » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:13 pm

Just heard that Gio WILL be called up and face the yanks in his first start. Still searching for a source of the rumor.
Image
tmlfan4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 438
Joined: 2 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Trade: Blanton to the Phillies

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:28 pm

tmlfan4ever wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
RynMan wrote:From the A's point of view - don't necessarily see this as throwing in the towel. You could argue that Gio Gonzalez is an upgrade over what Blanton is right now. I'm pretty happy with this deal as an A's fan.

Of course. The other deal wasn't throwing in the towel either. The A's are still a better team than the Angels in my mind, even without Harden and Blanton.

Look at the 3rd order standings: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/stati ... ndings.php



Let's not get carried away... without harden and blanton, there is no way Oakland is a better team than the A's.

You mean the Angels. A team with an bad offense that is incredibly lucky to be where it is in the standings as shown there. Personally, I don't think the injury prone Harden and the incredibly mediocre Blanton are huge losses at all. Both places can easily be filled by Gallagher and Gio Gonzalez.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Trade: Blanton to the Phillies

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:34 pm

I was wondering if Brett Myers would end up being one of the minor leaguers... ;-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 4170
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Champaign, IL

Re: Trade: Blanton to the Phillies

Postby YardBirds » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:43 pm

Why can't Baltimore take some mental notes and do this kind of deal with Daniel Cabrera...
"I never used a corked bat...And if I took it to court I'd win that case." --Albert "Joey" Belle
Image
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1091
Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade: Blanton to the Phillies

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:54 pm

I quite like this deal.
Obviously the A's probably won't use any of the players they got this year, so it is a win for Philly in 2008.
After 2008, it should be a good Oakland win. Cardenhas has the potential to be something really terrific.
The other two are a bit meh, but we did get a pitcher called Out-man, so at least it's entertaining. :-D
Image
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11357
(Past Year: 19)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Aug. 30
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

NY Yankees at Toronto
(1:07 pm)
Detroit at Chi White Sox
(1:10 pm)
Chi Cubs at St. Louis
(2:15 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(4:05 pm)
Minnesota at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Cleveland at Kansas City
(7:10 pm)
Texas at Houston
(7:10 pm)
Detroit at Chi White Sox
(7:10 pm)
Miami at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Colorado at Arizona
(8:10 pm)
Chi Cubs at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Diego
(8:40 pm)
Oakland at LA Angels
(9:05 pm)
Milwaukee at San Francisco
(9:05 pm)
Washington at Seattle
(9:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact