Trade: Blanton to the Phillies - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade: Blanton to the Phillies

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Trade: Blanton to the Phillies

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:34 pm

Billy Beane is a genius, what a steal. 8-o

Joe Blanton may look like a similar pitcher to AJ, but his peripherals aren't very good, and the only reason his numbers are even respectable is because of his time spent in the Colisum. Look at those home/away splits. %-6 I can't believe they were able to pull Cardenas off the Phillies for this, and I can't believe the Phillies wouldn't have just waited a few weeks until AJ Burnett was available.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:38 pm

bdrotoronto wrote:
Slayer Rules wrote:I thought Burnett made sense for this team. I'm surprised they couldn't do better than this....

Maybe.. but I'm not surprised that JP was asleep at the switch again and couldn't pull the trigger on a deal to help the Jays. That was undoubtedly the bigger factor.

I really doubt JP was asleep at any wheel. There were rumours that the Jays and the Phillies talked a lot of trade. The problem is, at this point, the Jays see themselves as contenders still, and aren't willing to give up AJ yet (another one of the reasons is that they want to appease Halladay after his remarks). The Phillies were the ones who were unable to wait for AJ's availability, and they made a pretty huge mistake in going after the mediocre Blanton over Burnett.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby DVauthrin » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:39 pm

mweir145 wrote:
bdrotoronto wrote:
Slayer Rules wrote:I thought Burnett made sense for this team. I'm surprised they couldn't do better than this....

Maybe.. but I'm not surprised that JP was asleep at the switch again and couldn't pull the trigger on a deal to help the Jays. That was undoubtedly the bigger factor.

I really doubt JP was asleep at any wheel. There were rumours that the Jays and the Phillies talked a lot of trade. The problem is, at this point, the Jays see themselves as contenders still, and aren't willing to give up AJ yet (another one of the reasons is that they want to appease Halladay after his remarks). The Phillies were the ones who were unable to wait for AJ's availability, and they made a pretty huge mistake in going after the mediocre Blanton over Burnett.

if they view themselves as contenders now, what makes you think they will abandon that idea in two weeks.
hook em horns, go stros
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Old_Style » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:42 pm

DVauthrin wrote:
if they view themselves as contenders now, what makes you think they will abandon that idea in two weeks.

Falling further and further out of contention.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:48 pm

Old_Style wrote:
DVauthrin wrote:

The obvious answer.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:50 pm

Of course, the Jays could suddenly start to win a lot of games and be 5 games out of the playoffs on July 31 like they are every year. That would be a problem. But really...the only sensible thing to do is trade him, you'd think?! :-o
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby bdrotoronto » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:51 pm

mweir145 wrote:The problem is, at this point, the Jays see themselves as contenders still

OK, but if that is true then it would just be more evidence of JP being asleep at the wheel :-S
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RynMan » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:55 pm

From the A's point of view - don't necessarily see this as throwing in the towel. You could argue that Gio Gonzalez is an upgrade over what Blanton is right now. I'm pretty happy with this deal as an A's fan.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby DVauthrin » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:55 pm

mweir145 wrote:
Old_Style wrote:
DVauthrin wrote:

The obvious answer.

The problem is it would take two weeks of horrid baseball to change the GM's mind. It's highly unlikely enough happens in two weeks to make the GM do a 180 in these types of situations.
hook em horns, go stros
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 13)

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:55 pm

bdrotoronto wrote:
mweir145 wrote:The problem is, at this point, the Jays see themselves as contenders still

OK, but if that is true then it would just be more evidence of JP being asleep at the wheel :-S

I think Paul Godfrey is really the one with a lot of input on that decision. He was on radio today still saying they had a chance.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers