Sexson to Yankees? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Sexson to Yankees?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sexson to Yankees?

Postby felixthecat011 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:25 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3493648

Anyone want to speculate on his worth, or is he still not worth a roster spot?
felixthecat011
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Sexson to Yankees?

Postby jackie hayes » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:07 pm

Not worth a spot in most leagues. Even if he hits well, it's tough to carry a guy who only plays against lhp.

One guy this might hurt, though, is Posada, if they choose to use Giambi and Sexson against lhp, instead of using Jorge as the dh.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 70)

Postby JeFfReY4 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:38 pm

Well the post before has no clue, if Sexson hits and Matsui is out for the year he will start full time at 1st and DH well. They need anothe bat to make up for Matsui i would take a shot with him he is a guy with high rewards if all goes well.
JeFfReY4
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jackie hayes » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:35 am

JeFfReY4 wrote:Well the post before has no clue, if Sexson hits and Matsui is out for the year he will start full time at 1st and DH well. They need anothe bat to make up for Matsui i would take a shot with him he is a guy with high rewards if all goes well.

Heh. Gotta love the guy who either reads absolutely nothing or just believes he's smarter than everyone.

Rotowire:
Sexson still does not merit a spot in all but the deepest fantasy leagues, as he will not be an everyday player in New York. He should start against lefties, meaning he could be in the Yankees' lineup as early as Saturday when they face Oakland's Greg Smith. Sexson will also be utilized as a powerful pinch hitter off the bench.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:07 pm

Gotta agree with Jackie here.Even with Matsui likely out for the season, Sexson's only value right now is vs LHP.RHP's are eating him alive.If Posada can catch regularly and Sexson can show something significant, maybe he can slot into 1B(better defense than Giambi) and Giambi can slide to DH or vice versa.A monkey wrench can be thrown given that Girardi loves Molina's game(throwing runners out,calling the game,etc) which will slide Posada to DH,who while looking good of late defensively still has questions about his shoulder.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:09 pm

jackie hayes wrote:Not worth a spot in most leagues. Even if he hits well, it's tough to carry a guy who only plays against lhp.

One guy this might hurt, though, is Posada, if they choose to use Giambi and Sexson against lhp, instead of using Jorge as the dh.

Only part I disagree with is the Posada being benched vs lefties.His bat is too valuable to bench especially for Sexson.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jackie hayes » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:34 pm

StarsNPinstripes wrote:
jackie hayes wrote:Not worth a spot in most leagues. Even if he hits well, it's tough to carry a guy who only plays against lhp.

Only part I disagree with is the Posada being benched vs lefties.His bat is too valuable to bench especially for Sexson.

Most of the reports I've seen have said that the abs would come at Betemit's expense, so you could be right about that. I still worry about it a bit, though. I didn't mean that they'd bench him every time against lefties, but I imagine he might see more 'rest days'. Recently, they've been resting him by moving him to dh and letting Molina catch. From a fantasy perspective, that's ideal -- you get the abs even when he's not catching. Sign me up. With Sexson in tow, they'll have the dh spot filled with a 1b, so any rest days coming against lhp will leave him on the bench. (And you'd think those would be the best days to rest him; even though Molina's hitting slightly better against rhp this year, it's a small sample, and his career splits show the usual pattern.) I was thinking maybe one fewer start per week, maybe a little less than that, but something along those lines. Not a huge dropoff, but enough to worry about when you just traded for him in a roto league where you're already WAY behind in games at the catcher spot. :-D
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby JeFfReY4 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:10 pm

I do read and i said IF he hits and Matsui can not come back he will get regular atbats, he was once a 40 home run guy and maybe NY is what he needs to come back to life. I did not say go out and trade a-rod for him but if you have a spot he is worth a pic up...
JeFfReY4
College Coach
College Coach

Postby T-fence92 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:06 pm

Sexson is in the line-up and batting 5th today vs. the A's.
T-fence92
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jackie hayes » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:46 pm

And Posada's the dh. Works for me. ;-D
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic