the hobbit - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

the hobbit

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

the hobbit

Postby Yoda » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:16 pm

OK so Peter Jackson won't be directing the prequel to the famous Toilken's Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Anyone pysched about The Hobbit at all? I was very impressed with Pan's Labrynth and The Orphanage by Del Toro so I have a feeling that he will do a great job. Possibly even better than Jackson's trilogy.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: the hobbit

Postby knapplc » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:05 pm

I'm pretty psyched about it. Three years is a long time to wait, though.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:35 pm

It looks to be awesome. Any thoughts on whether the same guy should play Bilbo?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby knapplc » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:42 pm

mweir145 wrote:Any thoughts on whether the same guy should play Bilbo?

I'll give that a qualified yes. Bilbo was eleventy-one in LOTR and 50 in The Hobbit. Even though that's a significant difference in age I think they can pull it off with makeup and CGI. Ian Holm is 71, but looks pretty good for his age. I think he can play a 50-year-old.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jfg » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:15 pm

Plus, Bilbo didn't age very much once he had the ring right? His appearance at the start of FOTR should be about what he would look like in The Hobbit. I might be wrong about that, but I know he aged a ton once he gave up the ring.

I've always thought of The Hobbit as a bright light-hearted story geared towards children so I hope Del Toro doesn't make it too dark.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby wake » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:30 pm

jfg wrote:I've always thought of The Hobbit as a bright light-hearted story geared towards children so I hope Del Toro doesn't make it too dark.

I always thought the original, cartoon "The Hobbit" was fairly dark. Then again, a lot of the cartoon movies made during that time seemed pretty dark for kids movies (The Secret of Nimh and Watership Down come to mind).
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:56 pm

They're actually making two Hobbit films both by del Toro. According to IMDB they will come out in back to back years. Personally I am sick of the franchise but definitely interested to see what del Toro does with it.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jfg » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:02 pm

I've heard about that. Is it a 2 part thing or are they writing a whole new story to piece together the years?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:12 pm

I only know what I read on IMDB and a del Toro interview on a LOTR fan site. From what I understand, it acts as a bridge story from the Hobbit to Fellowship. It is new material but based in part on parts of the Hobbit that didn't make it into the first movie and also aspects of the appendices and Silmarillion.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:01 pm

jfg wrote:I've always thought of The Hobbit as a bright light-hearted story geared towards children so I hope Del Toro doesn't make it too dark.

I suppose so, but some parts of that book are really pretty dark, especially when they enter Mirkwood.

I've always been interested in seeing what they will do with Beorn on film.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Next

Return to General Talk