Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:02 pm

mweir145 wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:What makes them (examples) any different than Bonds?

There are a lot of reasons...but it all really boils down to media-driven hate, and the fact that Bonds is one of the greatest players to ever play this game. I'm always amazed at how many steroid users there are in baseball who have either admitted it (Giambi, Pettitte types) or have gotten caught (Glaus, Matthews Jr. types) that get absolutely no attention for it. You see a couple of these guys in every series, and yet nobody boos them, or even acknowledges that they are any different than anybody else. Despite this, fans were throwing things like syringes at Bonds last year while booing him at every chance they got. It seems to me that the majority of people really only care if the best players are using steroids, and that's about it.

I don't recall Giambi admitting....unless we're talking about that mysterious press conference where he just kinda said sorry for nothing specific.

I agree about the best players thing, but as a Tigers fan that's what gets me so much about the Sheffield/Bonds comparison. A friend of mine who has season tickets claims that if Bonds signs, he will stop going to games and blah blah blah. He also claims (take it for what its worth) that a lot of other season ticket holders feel the same way. Are you kidding me? How asinine is that? Relatively speaking they aren't that much different. I just can't believe that any season ticket holder (or casual fan, for that matter) is so naive as to look at these players in completely different lights. It just screams hypocrisy, and it's the aspect of the Bonds situation that pisses me off the most.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Re: Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent

Postby Matthias » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:03 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:What makes them (examples) any different than Bonds?

There are a lot of reasons...but it all really boils down to media-driven hate, and the fact that Bonds is one of the greatest players to ever play this game. I'm always amazed at how many steroid users there are in baseball who have either admitted it (Giambi, Pettitte types) or have gotten caught (Glaus, Matthews Jr. types) that get absolutely no attention for it. You see a couple of these guys in every series, and yet nobody boos them, or even acknowledges that they are any different than anybody else. Despite this, fans were throwing things like syringes at Bonds last year while booing him at every chance they got. It seems to me that the majority of people really only care if the best players are using steroids, and that's about it.

I don't recall Giambi admitting....unless we're talking about that mysterious press conference where he just kinda said sorry for nothing specific.

That was as close to admitting that Giambi could come without having the Yankees void his contract. He did it. He admitted it. He just didn't say the specific words.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers