Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent

Postby Maris09 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:08 pm

mweir145 wrote:None of that is the issue here, though. The problem is...why would any baseball team that places an emphasis on winning no matter the cost sign Richie Sexson over Barry Bonds? It's a case for collusion if I've ever seen one.

Collusion isn't the only reason a team (all teams) might not want to sign Bonds.

It's possible they all happen to see it as more of a headache and stain on the organization than it's worth, doesn't have to be a collision thing.
Though I'm sure there could be collusion going on as well, who knows.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:33 pm

Maris09 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:None of that is the issue here, though. The problem is...why would any baseball team that places an emphasis on winning no matter the cost sign Richie Sexson over Barry Bonds? It's a case for collusion if I've ever seen one.

Collusion isn't the only reason a team (all teams) might not want to sign Bonds.

It's possible they all happen to see it as more of a headache and stain on the organization than it's worth, doesn't have to be a collision thing.

Teams have taken on big "headaches" before, especially when they are the best and most talented players in the league.

It hasn't happened this time because Bonds is quite possibly the biggest "headache" of all time (though I don't really see how he would affect the team on the field negatively), or there just could be a bit of collusion going on.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:11 pm

I was already of the opinion that there was probably collusion going on regarding Bonds, and this just solidifies it more. Even if Bonds were a "headache" for the Yankees, it wouldn't be that bad, and I doubt there would be much more of a "media circus" around him than there already is around A-Rod. Plus, the Yankees have a history of taking on controversial "headache" guys, even late in their careers.

Look at the 2007 numbers from Sexson and Bonds: in 434 ABs, Sexson had 58 R, 21 HR, 63 RBI, 51 BB, 100 K, .205 AVG, .295 OBP, .399 SLG, 84 OPS+.

In 340 ABs Bonds had 75 R, 28 HR, 66 RBI, 132 BB, 54 K, .276 AVG, .480 OBP, .565 SLG, 170 OPS+.

If the numbers were even somewhat close, the "don't want the headache" argument may be reasonable. But there is such a disparity between these two players that I can't imagine why any team, but particularly the Yankees, would choose Sexson over Bonds unless there is collusion going on.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:23 pm

mweir145 wrote:
Cobra_Kai wrote:Yankees fans have gotten used to cheering for lots of players they used to boo/hate - Wade Boggs, Roger Clemens, Johnny Damon, A-Rod, Roger Clemens again...I'm sure they'd warm up to Bonds.

Anybody would warm up to Bonds as long as he's winning games. Fans are a fickle bunch in any city.

By far the most true statement in this thread.

As a Detroit fan, I have strongly been in favor of bringing Bonds in, especially with his great relationship with Leyland. It blows my mind the fact that the front offices and the fans would ever have such a problem with signing a guy who would still be one of the best hitters in baseball. To me, it's unbelievable that you turn on ESPN and see the anchors wearing Giambi-like mustaches or when you go to Comerica you see people wearing chef hats for Sheffield yet this guy, who is far better than both players, can't find a job. What makes them (examples) any different than Bonds?
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:32 pm

If he signs, I hope it's for the league minimum.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 115)

Postby YardBirds » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:41 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
Cobra_Kai wrote:Yankees fans have gotten used to cheering for lots of players they used to boo/hate - Wade Boggs, Roger Clemens, Johnny Damon, A-Rod, Roger Clemens again...I'm sure they'd warm up to Bonds.

Anybody would warm up to Bonds as long as he's winning games. Fans are a fickle bunch in any city.

By far the most true statement in this thread.

As a Detroit fan, I have strongly been in favor of bringing Bonds in, especially with his great relationship with Leyland. It blows my mind the fact that the front offices and the fans would ever have such a problem with signing a guy who would still be one of the best hitters in baseball. To me, it's unbelievable that you turn on ESPN and see the anchors wearing Giambi-like mustaches or when you go to Comerica you see people wearing chef hats for Sheffield yet this guy, who is far better than both players, can't find a job. What makes them (examples) any different than Bonds?

That's just what Detroit needs... another superstar hitter...
"I never used a corked bat...And if I took it to court I'd win that case." --Albert "Joey" Belle
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:47 pm

YardBirds wrote:
That's just what Detroit needs... another superstar hitter...

Well, if Clemens offered to play for the league minimum, I'd be in favor of signing him too. Again, I don't look at those guys any differently than I do players like Sheffield and Giambi.....the only difference to me is the way the media covers them.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:57 pm

Watching Sexson get signed= pwned! ;-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby T-fence92 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:58 pm

This is the biggest case of Collusion I have ever seen. If Roger Clemens wanted to come back he would be offered a handful of contracts. And he is in more trouble than Bonds! There is no one in the league that you can get for dirt cheap and have a On-base percentage of over .450.

Look at it this way. The Yankees just signed Sexson, so he will be the DH for now. Their OF is hurting, but by the end of the month Damon will be back. So the OF will be Damon, Melky, and Abreu. That is not a bad OF. I mean, I despise the Yankees, but I will admit that that wouldn't be that bad. So then if they Sign Bonds, he will play DH making Sexson a PH and maybe play first vs. Lefties considering his the are paying him 390,000 only. But you can either have Bonds or Sexson at DH. Or if the wouldn't have signed either, Giradi said that he was gonna play Posada at 1B or DH and start Molina.

Quick, name that Molina :-?

The only other thing the could have done is to try and trade for Holiday(who won't get trade until after Bay/Nady is traded), or maybe Ichiro(who is one of the many players, along with Ibanez, that are on the market from Seattle). But New York is straying away from give up their prospects and just waiting to go after FA's. Like what they are doing with C.C.
T-fence92
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:23 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:What makes them (examples) any different than Bonds?

There are a lot of reasons...but it all really boils down to media-driven hate, and the fact that Bonds is one of the greatest players to ever play this game. I'm always amazed at how many steroid users there are in baseball who have either admitted it (Giambi, Pettitte types) or have gotten caught (Glaus, Matthews Jr. types) that get absolutely no attention for it. You see a couple of these guys in every series, and yet nobody boos them, or even acknowledges that they are any different than anybody else. Despite this, fans were throwing things like syringes at Bonds last year while booing him at every chance they got. It seems to me that the majority of people really only care if the best players are using steroids, and that's about it.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers