Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:55 pm

mweir145 wrote:None of that is the issue here, though. The problem is...why would any baseball team that places an emphasis on winning no matter the cost sign Richie Sexson over Barry Bonds? It's a case for collusion if I've ever seen one.

Because Bonds is going to prison and they don't want to have to deal with that mid season
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gatorgreenwell » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:58 pm

Matthias wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Matthias wrote:That would be quite the coup: the Yankees could conceivably miss the playoffs for the first time in 14 years and lose every shred of pretense at, "Yankee Pride" all in the same year.

New York fans are an interesting breed. Do you think they'd boo Bonds even on their own team?

I believe that I once heard that there have been only 2 yankees players who were never booed. I can't recall one of them but Don Mattingly was one.
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:59 pm

acsguitar wrote:
mweir145 wrote:None of that is the issue here, though. The problem is...why would any baseball team that places an emphasis on winning no matter the cost sign Richie Sexson over Barry Bonds? It's a case for collusion if I've ever seen one.

Because Bonds is going to prison and they don't want to have to deal with that mid season

There is no issue of him going to prison this season (if that even happens after the season is over, because that's incredibly in doubt), and every GM knows it.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:08 pm

gatorgreenwell wrote:
Matthias wrote:[quote="acsguitar"
New York fans are an interesting breed. Do you think they'd boo Bonds even on their own team?

I believe that I once heard that there have been only 2 yankees players who were never booed. I can't recall one of them but Don Mattingly was one.[/quote]

Well Mattingly never played on good teams so I would say the fans expectations were a little lower than the situation where Jeter was booed. I think fans expectations for a team are what drives their booing for their own players.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:09 pm

mweir145 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

There is no issue of him going to prison this season (if that even happens after the season is over, because that's incredibly in doubt), and every GM knows it.

Well would your job hire you if you were federally indicted? And a rumored illegal drug abuser.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:10 pm

Cobra_Kai wrote:I'd say it's probably not going to happen:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3493648

Sexson fits in New York because the Yankees needed a right-handed slugger to match up against left-handed pitching -- and Sexson had a .344 average against lefties this year.

That sounds like a platoon to me. I don't think this would stop them from signing Bonds.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:10 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:

Sexson fits in New York because the Yankees needed a right-handed slugger to match up against left-handed pitching -- and Sexson had a .344 average against lefties this year.

That sounds like a platoon to me. I don't think this would stop them from signing Bonds.

A platoon with Giambi most likely.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:37 pm

acsguitar wrote:Well would your job hire you if you were federally indicted? And a rumored illegal drug abuser.

The Yankees have several admitted illegal drug abusers. And again, being federally indicted has nothing to do with what he can do on a baseball field this season.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:

Bonds should be the full-time DH in any lineup, so unless they are thinking of cutting down Giambi's ABs and platooning him at 1B with Sexson, it doesn't look like it's going to happen.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:43 pm

Damn, I got excited when I saw this. Doesn't look like a good source though.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers