Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:55 pm

mweir145 wrote:None of that is the issue here, though. The problem is...why would any baseball team that places an emphasis on winning no matter the cost sign Richie Sexson over Barry Bonds? It's a case for collusion if I've ever seen one.


Because Bonds is going to prison and they don't want to have to deal with that mid season
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Re: Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent

Postby gatorgreenwell » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:58 pm

Matthias wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Matthias wrote:That would be quite the coup: the Yankees could conceivably miss the playoffs for the first time in 14 years and lose every shred of pretense at, "Yankee Pride" all in the same year.

New York fans are an interesting breed. Do you think they'd boo Bonds even on their own team?


I believe that I once heard that there have been only 2 yankees players who were never booed. I can't recall one of them but Don Mattingly was one.
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 270
Joined: 25 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:59 pm

acsguitar wrote:
mweir145 wrote:None of that is the issue here, though. The problem is...why would any baseball team that places an emphasis on winning no matter the cost sign Richie Sexson over Barry Bonds? It's a case for collusion if I've ever seen one.


Because Bonds is going to prison and they don't want to have to deal with that mid season

There is no issue of him going to prison this season (if that even happens after the season is over, because that's incredibly in doubt), and every GM knows it.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:08 pm

gatorgreenwell wrote:
Matthias wrote:[quote="acsguitar"
New York fans are an interesting breed. Do you think they'd boo Bonds even on their own team?


I believe that I once heard that there have been only 2 yankees players who were never booed. I can't recall one of them but Don Mattingly was one.[/quote]

Well Mattingly never played on good teams so I would say the fans expectations were a little lower than the situation where Jeter was booed. I think fans expectations for a team are what drives their booing for their own players.
Image
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5089
Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:09 pm

mweir145 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
mweir145 wrote:None of that is the issue here, though. The problem is...why would any baseball team that places an emphasis on winning no matter the cost sign Richie Sexson over Barry Bonds? It's a case for collusion if I've ever seen one.


Because Bonds is going to prison and they don't want to have to deal with that mid season

There is no issue of him going to prison this season (if that even happens after the season is over, because that's incredibly in doubt), and every GM knows it.



Well would your job hire you if you were federally indicted? And a rumored illegal drug abuser.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Re: Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:10 pm

Cobra_Kai wrote:I'd say it's probably not going to happen:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3493648


Sexson fits in New York because the Yankees needed a right-handed slugger to match up against left-handed pitching -- and Sexson had a .344 average against lefties this year.

That sounds like a platoon to me. I don't think this would stop them from signing Bonds.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21623
(Past Year: 272)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Re: Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:10 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Cobra_Kai wrote:I'd say it's probably not going to happen:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3493648


Sexson fits in New York because the Yankees needed a right-handed slugger to match up against left-handed pitching -- and Sexson had a .344 average against lefties this year.

That sounds like a platoon to me. I don't think this would stop them from signing Bonds.


A platoon with Giambi most likely.
Image
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5089
Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:37 pm

acsguitar wrote:Well would your job hire you if you were federally indicted? And a rumored illegal drug abuser.

The Yankees have several admitted illegal drug abusers. And again, being federally indicted has nothing to do with what he can do on a baseball field this season.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Cobra_Kai wrote:I'd say it's probably not going to happen:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3493648


Sexson fits in New York because the Yankees needed a right-handed slugger to match up against left-handed pitching -- and Sexson had a .344 average against lefties this year.

That sounds like a platoon to me. I don't think this would stop them from signing Bonds.

Bonds should be the full-time DH in any lineup, so unless they are thinking of cutting down Giambi's ABs and platooning him at 1B with Sexson, it doesn't look like it's going to happen.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:43 pm

Damn, I got excited when I saw this. Doesn't look like a good source though.
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 53)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 2:33 hours
(and 97 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact