Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:39 pm

Matthias wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:J.D. Drew got booed a ton last year but now he is a fan favorite at Fenway. A lot of teams don't ever boo their players because they don't expect to win.

Sure, but even though Varitek is having a bad year for himself, he's not getting boo'ed there. Or I can't imagine Todd Helton ever getting boo'ed at Coors or Hoffman boo'ed at Petco. To a certain extent, all fans like the players doing well and aren't so high on the ones who aren't. But the New York fanbase is much more fickle and quick to change than most.



People don't Boo Helton because rockies fans don't know anything about baseball and still think Helton is god. If you listen to the call in shows around here he is getting ripped up.

Too bad we didn't send him to the Sox or yanks last year or this year.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Re: Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:41 pm

Damn I got excited there for a second before I realized this was not a particularly good source. You'd figure the Yankees would be as plausible an option as any team to sign him (and I still think it will happen at some point with some team in the league), but now that they have Sexson, I can't see them signing Bonds.

It's such a case for collusion, though, that Sexson gets signed in front of Bonds. :-b
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:42 pm

mweir145 wrote:Damn I got excited there for a second before I realized this was not a particularly good source. You'd figure the Yankees would be as plausible an option as any team to sign him (and I still think it will happen at some point with some team in the league), but now that they have Sexson, I can't see them signing Bonds.

It's such a case for collusion, though, that Sexson gets signed in front of Bonds. :-b


hahah...Is he cheaper? Or would they have to pay Bonds the same price.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Re: Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:42 pm

Cobra_Kai wrote:Yankees fans have gotten used to cheering for lots of players they used to boo/hate - Wade Boggs, Roger Clemens, Johnny Damon, A-Rod, Roger Clemens again...I'm sure they'd warm up to Bonds.

Anybody would warm up to Bonds as long as he's winning games. Fans are a fickle bunch in any city.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:43 pm

acsguitar wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Damn I got excited there for a second before I realized this was not a particularly good source. You'd figure the Yankees would be as plausible an option as any team to sign him (and I still think it will happen at some point with some team in the league), but now that they have Sexson, I can't see them signing Bonds.

It's such a case for collusion, though, that Sexson gets signed in front of Bonds. :-b


hahah...Is he cheaper? Or would they have to pay Bonds the same price.

They would both cost exactly the same amount. The pro-rated portion of a minimum contract. Bonds has offered to give away that money to charity.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent

Postby Matthias » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:44 pm

mweir145 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Damn I got excited there for a second before I realized this was not a particularly good source. You'd figure the Yankees would be as plausible an option as any team to sign him (and I still think it will happen at some point with some team in the league), but now that they have Sexson, I can't see them signing Bonds.

It's such a case for collusion, though, that Sexson gets signed in front of Bonds. :-b


hahah...Is he cheaper? Or would they have to pay Bonds the same price.

They would both cost exactly the same amount. The pro-rated portion of a minimum contract. Bonds has offered to give away that money to charity.

The Barry Bonds Defense Fund? :-D
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent

Postby Old_Style » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:45 pm

mweir145 wrote:They would both cost exactly the same amount. The pro-rated portion of a minimum contract. Bonds has offered to give away that money to charity.


What a guy.
Image
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6885
Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: at the last neighborhood corner tavern

Re: Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:52 pm

Old_Style wrote:
mweir145 wrote:They would both cost exactly the same amount. The pro-rated portion of a minimum contract. Bonds has offered to give away that money to charity.


What a guy.

Seems like a nice guy to me, anyway.

And if he didn't offer to give it away, you just know somebody would criticize him for coming back for the money.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:53 pm

I think this thread can be closed now since they just signed sexson
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Re: Rumor: Bonds-Yankees Deal Imminent

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:54 pm

None of that is the issue here, though. The problem is...why would any baseball team that places an emphasis on winning no matter the cost sign Richie Sexson over Barry Bonds? It's a case for collusion if I've ever seen one.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apz, neuronss and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Aug. 28
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Chi Cubs at Cincinnati
(12:35 pm)
NY Yankees at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
Colorado at San Francisco
(3:45 pm)
Tampa Bay at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Atlanta at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Cleveland at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Oakland at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact