Chances of the Cubs winning the World Series? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chances of the Cubs winning the World Series?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chances of the Cubs winning the World Series?

Postby Zito is God » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:15 pm

After all these years do the Cubs actually have a chance? Or maybe they are *gulp* the front runners?

Analysis:

The Cubs hitting is holding up by the likes of Jim Edmonds' bat coming back to life out of nowhere after a 2 year hiatus. Theriot is a steady top of the line hitter who can get on base and steal bags consistently, Fukudome is slowly coming back to earth and really didn't deserve an all-star spot IMO. Soriano is as streaky as they come, but provides good pop once he comes back. Aramis and Derek Lee both can be counted on to provide steady dependable numbers all year.

The Cubs pitching seems to be a large question mark. With Zambrano's recent injury concerns, Harden's career injury concerns, and Dempster suddenly developing Cy Young stuff at the age of 32 (which seems unrealistic to be able to do for a full season, see Kyle Lohse), the staff is held together by duct tape IMO. Marquis is trash, Marshall needs to be given another opportunity to start as he seems to have the stuff to be a decent #4, better than Marquis by any means. The pen is streaky with Wood hyolding down the fort, Marmol all of a sudden exploding lately, and the combos of the likes of Lieber and Cotts as nothing more than average relievers providing the bridge to Wood.

Thoughts? Can the Cubs win with this? Will they even make the playoffs?

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Chances of the Cubs winning the World Series?

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:35 pm

It probably all depends on whether Rich Harden stays healthy. And I'm not sure the odds of that happening are very good at all.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:44 pm

Considering there are no super powers in the NL I think they can get there. However, it depends on who they play and where.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:01 pm

acsguitar wrote:Considering there are no super powers in the NL I think they can get there. However, it depends on who they play and where.

I'd have to say that puts it < 50% as they did not fare very well vs. the DRays. A lot of their guys were on fire to start the year off and have returned to earth. If the bats get hot again at the right time, and the pitching staff doesn't blow up, the Cubs could beat anyone. This is as good of a chance that they've had since I've been alive. Although I was only 2 in 1969...
:-o
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:08 pm

acsguitar wrote:Considering there are no super powers in the NL I think they can get there. However, it depends on who they play and where.

Thanks Joe Morgan. Obviously who they play and where will have some effect on their chances to win the World Series.

However, I think they can do it. They are easily the superior team in the NL, if Harden is healthy. If not, then the Mets and Phillies are about even with them. I would say they are probably equal with the Red Sox, and a little ahead of the White Sox.

Because the playoffs are such a crapshoot, I'd say their odds of winning the World Seires are about 5:1 right now....
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby T-fence92 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:14 pm

I give them:
45.5% to win the wild card. B-)
33.3% to win the division. !+)
25% to win the NLDS if they play the wild card/East winner. :,-(
65% to win the NLDS if they play the west winner. :-°
14.35% to win the NLCS. :-t
AND FINALLY
0% to win the World Series. :~(
T-fence92
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RynMan » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:19 pm

They are solid. I'm biased, I like the Brewers still, but they are gonna need to catch lightning in a bottle after CC and Sheets though. If they make it to the playoffs, they will be tough in 5 games.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby T-fence92 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:37 pm

I too am a brewers fan(if you couldn't tell by my previous post) and think that they are better than the cubs, but cubs fans would say I'm just biased, so...
T-fence92
College Coach
College Coach

Postby zhutou » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:46 pm

lol i think it's pretty obvious the red sox will win it again this year if ortiz is healthy
zhutou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Relentless » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:22 pm

No specifically because their bullpen is not good enough. Marmol's recent struggles makes them look even more iffy. Also, there's a great chance that Harden will go down to the DL again before everything is said and done. If anything, that other Chicago team has the better chance of winning it all.
Relentless
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers