Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: So i'm having surgury....

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:17 pm

DbacksRback wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:Extra bonus: Anesthetic is fun. :-D ;-D

So Ive heard :-b :-b

I'd have it every day if I could. It's so much fun.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby JTWood » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:15 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
DbacksRback wrote:

So Ive heard :-b :-b

I'd have it every day if I could. It's so much fun.

I get so fluffy every time I think about it. :-L
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Madison » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:12 am

jmudukes2008 wrote:
Madison wrote:
jmudukes2008 wrote:I just had major surgery on March 7th...I had my pancrease, gall bladder and spleen removed arthroscopically (damn that's a mouthfull...or typefull) and I was walking in two weeks.

Car accident? If the reason for that surgery is private, you don't have to answer of course, but I am curious as to what led to one procedure to remove all of those at one time. :-?

It's all good man...that's the beauty of the internet, and the cafe at that...you can share personal stories with total strangers, except you guys are complete baseball geeks like myself, so you're like a second family! I had chronic pancreatitis. It was idiopathic...I went out to Brigham and Women's in Boston, UPitt Med Center, Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn, and eventually to University of Minnesota Medical, which is where they performed the operation. I was going in and out of the hospital every few weeks which caused me to withdraw from 5 semesters in a row of college...which sucked a whole lot. So my family and I decided that enough was enough, and I became the first person in the world to have an arthroscopic eyelit cell transplant-pancreatectomy. Apparently they had to take the gall bladder out because of the pancrease and then the spleen because of the gall bladder or something along those lines. My father is a doc so I let him speak to the surgeons for me and thats what they strongly recommended. They also wanted to take my appendix out while they were in there just in case I got appendicitis down the road, but I told the surgeon: I can only name about 7 or 8 organs, there's no way I'm letting you take half of them out, leave the appendix. Lol it was actually a pretty funny moment when I said that...the whole surgical team burst out in laughter during a very tense moment the day before the surgery. And to answer the person who asked how you could be alright after having all of those things taken out...I became a partial diabetic up until June, which is when the eyelit cells which they took from my pancreas and injected into my liver kicked in and began producing insulin through my liver. So basically, the only side effect from the surgery is that I have to take 4 enzyme pills before I eat anything for the rest of my life. Anything at all, whether it be a cracker or a rack of ribs. It sucks having to carry the pills around all the time but it sure as heck beats going in and out of the hospital being on pain killers every two weeks. So yea, I'm back to normal, I'm even back to playing rugby in a touch 7's league where I live and plan on playing again when I get back to college this fall with my old teammates for the first time in a year!

Wow! 8-o

Thanks for such a detailed explanation. Sounds like one really crazy situation, but it also sounds like you handled it well then and now. Glad to hear you're doing well given all that they did to you. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby curious_george_43545 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:17 am

JTWood wrote:

Dude your the same person.
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JTWood » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:09 am

curious_george_43545 wrote:
JTWood wrote:

Dude your the same person.

:-B
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby DbacksRback » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:09 am

I never knew of all the rules with no food on operation day or even water. The lady i met with was like "if you brush your teeth in the morning u better not drink the water :-o ". And all the pain killers you cant have because the thin the blood.Im getting it in a little over a week %-6

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:32 pm

DbacksRback wrote:I never knew of all the rules with no food on operation day or even water. The lady i met with was like "if you brush your teeth in the morning u better not drink the water :-o ". And all the pain killers you cant have because the thin the blood.Im getting it in a little over a week %-6

I had surgery to repair a torn ACL in my left knee 5 weeks ago (one week before Tiger had his) so I know what you're going through. I wasn't allowed to eat anything from midnight until my operation later that day at 8:30 AM. Just eat a big meal the night before and this shouldn't be much of a problem.

There really isn't much to be worried about. I was noticeably nervous on the day of my surgery, but everyone was so nice and caring that I found that my level of anxiety actually went down as the time for surgery grew nearer and nearer. Everyone was so reassuring that I just grew more comfortable with the situation and realized that the doctors should probably be more nervous than I am considering they're going to be the ones doing all the work.

As for the pain aspect, technology today allows you to get through surgery and the recovery process with the least amount of pain possible. I was on an anesthetic pain pump, which pumped an anesthesia directly into my leg, for three days following my operation. As my anesthesiologist put it, "the pump works as a continuous nerve block and can hold off pain for days." So I went through what should have been the most painful part of my recovery without really feeling anything (my whole leg was just numb). I was on some powerful pain pills for the next few days and about a week after surgery I was off drugs completely and found that the pain was manageable.

Just be sure you go all out on your recovery exercises. You really can't work hard enough. For the first 2-3 weeks I found myself doing about 3 hours of rehab a day. It was painful at first and I'd go to bed tired and sore every night but when I woke up in the morning I always felt stronger. Only 5 weeks out and I've started jogging/walking 3+ miles per day to go along with a little biking. I'm only 20 years old so I'm sure that's helped with my fast recovery but so has all the work I've put in.

Good luck. ;-D ;-D
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby jmudukes2008 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:02 am

Be careful with the painkillers bro...you have to have will-power when your prescription runs out not to ask for a refill if you don't need it...I know from first-hand experience. Good luck and keep us updated!!!

July 4th, 4:51 pm: Big Pelf is going to be an all out star...Pick him up before someone else does.
jmudukes2008
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby markj11 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:48 pm

DbacksRback wrote:I never knew of all the rules with no food on operation day or even water. The lady i met with was like "if you brush your teeth in the morning u better not drink the water :-o ". And all the pain killers you cant have because the thin the blood.Im getting it in a little over a week %-6

My son had surgery a year ago when he was 2. We had to be at the hospital at 5:30 am and he didn't go into to surgery until 5pm, no food or water since the night before. At one point my wife forgot and lifted him up to get a sip of water from a foutain and I stopped her just as he was getting a sip (around 4 pm). She got scared and told the nurse at which point the nurse said we would have to wait another 2 hours. I told her to F-off we were leaving b/c this is bs having us wait all day. Anyway it sucked.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk