So i'm having surgury.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

So i'm having surgury....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

So i'm having surgury....

Postby DbacksRback » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:21 am

I pitch in college and developed a bone spur in my elbow. Ill be getting it shaved down through authroscopic surgury soon. I was wondering if anyone had anything like this or what to expect this will be my first time getting surgury for anything. Kind of nevous %-6

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: So i'm having surgury....

Postby jmudukes2008 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:28 am

Arthroscopic surgery is God's gift to mankind. I just had major surgery on March 7th...I had my pancrease, gall bladder and spleen removed arthroscopically (damn that's a mouthfull...or typefull) and I was walking in two weeks. I know its a different situation with your elbow and all, but it's so much better then conventional surgery. The healing time is like 5x faster or something ridiculous like that. Instead of having a huge gash down my stomach, I just have 5 small 1/2 inch slit marks on my stomach. Cosmetically it looks better, it's safer because it's done by a robot and not a surgeon's hand, and the recovery time is much better as well. Good luck my friend!

July 4th, 4:51 pm: Big Pelf is going to be an all out star...Pick him up before someone else does.
jmudukes2008
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby Madison » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:08 am

jmudukes2008 wrote:I just had major surgery on March 7th...I had my pancrease, gall bladder and spleen removed arthroscopically (damn that's a mouthfull...or typefull) and I was walking in two weeks.

Car accident? If the reason for that surgery is private, you don't have to answer of course, but I am curious as to what led to one procedure to remove all of those at one time. :-?

As to the elbow, I really hope you've got insurance. If not, you may want to check out this thread. I doubt it runs as much as an appendix, but it will still cost a very solid chunk of change. :-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:44 am

dang can you remove all those organs and still be fine? 8-o
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby jmudukes2008 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:26 am

Madison wrote:
jmudukes2008 wrote:I just had major surgery on March 7th...I had my pancrease, gall bladder and spleen removed arthroscopically (damn that's a mouthfull...or typefull) and I was walking in two weeks.

Car accident? If the reason for that surgery is private, you don't have to answer of course, but I am curious as to what led to one procedure to remove all of those at one time. :-?

It's all good man...that's the beauty of the internet, and the cafe at that...you can share personal stories with total strangers, except you guys are complete baseball geeks like myself, so you're like a second family! I had chronic pancreatitis. It was idiopathic...I went out to Brigham and Women's in Boston, UPitt Med Center, Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn, and eventually to University of Minnesota Medical, which is where they performed the operation. I was going in and out of the hospital every few weeks which caused me to withdraw from 5 semesters in a row of college...which sucked a whole lot. So my family and I decided that enough was enough, and I became the first person in the world to have an arthroscopic eyelit cell transplant-pancreatectomy. Apparently they had to take the gall bladder out because of the pancrease and then the spleen because of the gall bladder or something along those lines. My father is a doc so I let him speak to the surgeons for me and thats what they strongly recommended. They also wanted to take my appendix out while they were in there just in case I got appendicitis down the road, but I told the surgeon: I can only name about 7 or 8 organs, there's no way I'm letting you take half of them out, leave the appendix. Lol it was actually a pretty funny moment when I said that...the whole surgical team burst out in laughter during a very tense moment the day before the surgery. And to answer the person who asked how you could be alright after having all of those things taken out...I became a partial diabetic up until June, which is when the eyelit cells which they took from my pancreas and injected into my liver kicked in and began producing insulin through my liver. So basically, the only side effect from the surgery is that I have to take 4 enzyme pills before I eat anything for the rest of my life. Anything at all, whether it be a cracker or a rack of ribs. It sucks having to carry the pills around all the time but it sure as heck beats going in and out of the hospital being on pain killers every two weeks. So yea, I'm back to normal, I'm even back to playing rugby in a touch 7's league where I live and plan on playing again when I get back to college this fall with my old teammates for the first time in a year!

July 4th, 4:51 pm: Big Pelf is going to be an all out star...Pick him up before someone else does.
jmudukes2008
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby Yoda » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:11 am

Damn man good luck. If you have any extra painkillers then I'll take some. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RynMan » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:57 am

I had arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn labrum in my throwing shoulder when I was 16. Probably one of the worst throwing injuries you can have. Surgery is fine man. All I can advise is work hard at your rehab - do what your physio tells you to do at home - don't get slack. It won't get stronger or recover if you don't put the work in. Also, don't try and rush back - it will be worth it in the end.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby DbacksRback » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:45 pm

RynMan wrote:I had arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn labrum in my throwing shoulder when I was 16. Probably one of the worst throwing injuries you can have. Surgery is fine man. All I can advise is work hard at your rehab - do what your physio tells you to do at home - don't get slack. It won't get stronger or recover if you don't put the work in. Also, don't try and rush back - it will be worth it in the end.

Yea thats why im getting it now ill miss some fall scrimages and work outs but the season is in Feb. so i should be 100% by then. another kid on our team had arthroscopic on his shoulder and the coach puts up a spot to do all your rehab work on the side so ill be ok with that. I just got a date: 2 weeks better get as much outta summer and 2 arms while i can :-P

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby DaShiz23 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:50 pm

Yoda wrote:Damn man good luck. If you have any extra painkillers then I'll take some. :-D

I second that!
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 66)

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:53 pm

Arthro surgery is a walk in the park. Had it on my wrist. For about a week, I had two (more) nipples. :-b

Extra bonus: Anesthetic is fun. :-D ;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Next

Return to General Talk