Midseason Keeper Rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Midseason Keeper Rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Midseason Keeper Rankings

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:14 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:FWI, McLouth and Cliff Lee belong on no keeper lists imo. You're giving too much credence to what they did in the 1st half. Sorry, but there are a ton more guys I'd rather keep.

how many? i think you'd be silly not to include them in at least a top 100-150 list.

Why? They are just here because they had a good 1st half this year. McLouth is already coming back down and Lee should be well on his way as well. This is probably both's career year and are only a half season away from being WW (heck even in the minors) material. Nope, I'd much rather take someone with more upside. These 2 guys, along with Ryan Ludwick, are the players I'd sell high on the most.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 123)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:02 pm

Grady SIzemore should be the #1 OF keeper in basically any format.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby WyldStallyn » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:09 pm

dclark0699 wrote:I don't see much difference between now and preseason, but some newcomers.

1. Hanley Ramirez
2. Alex Rodriguez
3. Chase Utley
4. David Wright
5. Albert Pujols
6. Matt Holliday
7. Jose Reyes
8. Miguel Cabrera
9. Ryan Braun
10. Grady Sizemore
11. Ryan Howard
12. Jimmy Rollins
13. Lance Berkeman
14. Carlos Beltran
15. Prince Fielder
16. Brandon Phillips
17. Ichiro
18. BJ Upton
19. Carlos Lee
20. David Ortiz
21. Mark Texieria
22. Justin Morneau
23. Josh Hamilton
24. Ian Kinsler
25. Carl Crawford

Pitchers
1. Johan Santana
2. Jake Peavy
3. Brandon Webb
4. CC Sabathia
5. Cole Hamels
6. Tim Lincecum
7. John Lackey
8. Dan Haren
9. Carlos Zambrano
10. Scott Kazmir
11. Josh Beckett
12. Eric Bedard
13. Roy Halladay
14. Edinson Volquez
15. Ben Sheets

this made me smile as i have hanley, arod, utley in my keep5. also have sizemore and webb ;-D
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:44 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:FWI, McLouth and Cliff Lee belong on no keeper lists imo. You're giving too much credence to what they did in the 1st half. Sorry, but there are a ton more guys I'd rather keep.

how many? i think you'd be silly not to include them in at least a top 100-150 list.

Why? They are just here because they had a good 1st half this year. McLouth is already coming back down and Lee should be well on his way as well. This is probably both's career year and are only a half season away from being WW (heck even in the minors) material. Nope, I'd much rather take someone with more upside. These 2 guys, along with Ryan Ludwick, are the players I'd sell high on the most.

McLouth (27 yo) not worthy of a top 100-150 keeper slot?

His last 161 games: .271, 114 R, 31 HR, 96 RBI, 27 SB

He almost went 15/15 last season after the ASB. Just because he doesn't have the name value. He's easily a top-100 keeper.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:53 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:Why? They are just here because they had a good 1st half this year. McLouth is already coming back down and Lee should be well on his way as well. This is probably both's career year and are only a half season away from being WW (heck even in the minors) material. Nope, I'd much rather take someone with more upside. These 2 guys, along with Ryan Ludwick, are the players I'd sell high on the most.

He almost went 15/15 last season after the ASB. Just because he doesn't have the name value. He's easily a top-100 keeper.[/quote]

He might make yours but not mine. Also, add that top prospect Andrew McCutchen will supplate him in CF as soon as next year...nope he's not making mine. I'd rather keep McCuthen over McLouth in a keeper, if minors leaguers were eligible. Bruce, Maybin, Rasmus, & Gonzalez are better keepers in my mind. Remember Eric Byrnes last year compared to this year? Well, that will be the result for McLouth in my mind next year.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 123)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:58 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:Why? They are just here because they had a good 1st half this year. McLouth is already coming back down and Lee should be well on his way as well. This is probably both's career year and are only a half season away from being WW (heck even in the minors) material. Nope, I'd much rather take someone with more upside. These 2 guys, along with Ryan Ludwick, are the players I'd sell high on the most.

He almost went 15/15 last season after the ASB. Just because he doesn't have the name value. He's easily a top-100 keeper.

He might make yours but not mine. Also, add that top prospect Andrew McCutchen will supplate him in CF as soon as next year...nope he's not making mine. I'd rather keep McCuthen over McLouth in a keeper, if minors leaguers were eligible. Bruce, Maybin, Rasmus, & Gonzalez are better keepers in my mind. Remember Eric Byrnes last year compared to this year? Well, that will be the result for McLouth in my mind next year.[/quote]

Eric Byrnes has been hurt all year.......just because they both have longish blonde hair doesn't mean they should be looked at in a similar light. Anyways, there's no way McLouth is just going to flat out lose his job next year! You gotta be kidding me! If anything they would trade him somewhere where he could still play every day. Give the guy some credit. I'd say you are definitely in the minority on this one, but whatever.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigwords » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:07 pm

McCutchen over McLouth, seriously???

Look, I totally think McLouth is going to be overvalued next season. There's very, very little chance he'll wind up on any team of mine in a re-draft format. And if I had to weigh him against a veteran with a disappointing season but a longer track record (Alex Rios, Torii Hunter, Bobby Abreu, etc.), I'd go for the veteran.

That said, it's completely insane to take a guy who hasn't played a single major league game over him. Especially since his peripherals aren't discouraging at all. Excellent strikeout rate, good plate discipline, very good fly ball tendencies, well-rounded power and speed.

Maybe he's not going to be a 3rd or 4th round value, and maybe he'll get drafted there, or kept as if he is one...but don't think that McCutchen is going to storm into the league, replace him in CF, and be fantasy valuable for many, many years to come. The same goes for the other rookies, especially Maybin and Gonzalez. Those players will be All-Stars sometime in the future, maybe perennial ones early next decade, but unless you are in a dynasty league looking to rebuild for the long-haul, the choice isn't even close.

You mentioned Eric Byrnes, but the comparison isn't apt. First of all, Byrnes was killed this year by injuries. Second, I remember doubting Byrnes coming off his great 2006 season just as like you're doubting McLouth right now. And Byrnes made me pay in 2007.

In sum, overrated, sure. But the hyperbole on McCutchen won't cut it either.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Eagle Baseball » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:43 pm

OK. I'll give this a shot. My keeper league is 12 teams keep 5 so I will attempt to project who I think will be the 60 players that I would keep for next year. I will include 15 pitchers (13 SP and 2 RP). I will do it this way because that is the number of SP's & RP's kept for this year in my league. I will put them in rounds of 12 but I will not rank them within the round as that would be next to impossible at this point (deciding on 45 hitters and 15 pitchers was enough work). I also assumed that everyone listed would stay healthy the rest of the year. I know it is not perfect and I know everyone has their own prejudices but this is my quick take if I was drafting today for a keeper league starting in '09.

rd 1:
ARod
H Ramirez
Wright
Reyes
Braun
Utley
Sizemore
Holliday
Puols
Berkman
M Cabrera
Hamilton-I could not decide between Howard, Fielder and Lee so I went with Hamilton

rd 2:
Fielder
Howard
C Lee
Kinsler
Santana
Crawford
Teixeira
Morneau
M Ramirez
Soriano
Rollins
Ichiro

rd 3:
Volquez
Peavy
Webb
Lincecum
Sabathia
Guerrero
Phillips
Upton
A Gonzalez
D Lee
Ordonez
Beltran

rd 4:
Halladay
Hamels
Haren
Papelbon
C Quentin
Youkillis
Bay
A Ramirez
Hart
Kemp
McLouth
Longoria

rd 5:
F Rodriguez
Sheets
Lackey
Beckett
F Hernandez
Markakis
Ludwick
C Jones
Dunn
Bruce
Bay
Pedroia
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby garf112 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:08 pm

no kazmir??? wtf?
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers