Midseason Keeper Rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Midseason Keeper Rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Midseason Keeper Rankings

Postby rjforlife » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:08 pm

I always like to keep up on keeper rankings throughout the season as it helps to evaluate trading and such. As many of you are also in keeper leagues, I thought it would be a good idea to put up an updated top 25 Hitter and top 15 Pitcher list for a keeper. I will be putting up my own in a little while, but I would love to see some other lists.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 738)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Midseason Keeper Rankings

Postby dclark0699 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:44 pm

I don't see much difference between now and preseason, but some newcomers.

1. Hanley Ramirez
2. Alex Rodriguez
3. Chase Utley
4. David Wright
5. Albert Pujols
6. Matt Holliday
7. Jose Reyes
8. Miguel Cabrera
9. Ryan Braun
10. Grady Sizemore
11. Ryan Howard
12. Jimmy Rollins
13. Lance Berkeman
14. Carlos Beltran
15. Prince Fielder
16. Brandon Phillips
17. Ichiro
18. BJ Upton
19. Carlos Lee
20. David Ortiz
21. Mark Texieria
22. Justin Morneau
23. Josh Hamilton
24. Ian Kinsler
25. Carl Crawford

Pitchers
1. Johan Santana
2. Jake Peavy
3. Brandon Webb
4. CC Sabathia
5. Cole Hamels
6. Tim Lincecum
7. John Lackey
8. Dan Haren
9. Carlos Zambrano
10. Scott Kazmir
11. Josh Beckett
12. Eric Bedard
13. Roy Halladay
14. Edinson Volquez
15. Ben Sheets
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rjforlife » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:57 pm

Ok Felix is in. And some write-ups.

1 Hanley- Immense all around talent at his age spells the top hitter.

2 A-Rod- Hard not to feel safe with this guy

3 Pujols- Injuries aside hes as solid as they come. Still has some prime yearsleft.

4 Utley- That power at 2B is unheard of and with the lineup he gets plenty of other numbers.

5 Holliday- Hints of a move out of Colorado hurt but with the steals increase he has become a 5x5 monster

6 Braun- No sophmore slump, just continues his incredible entry into the bigs with another fine
showing thusfar

7 Wright- Great 5 category production, nothing not to like

8 Reyes- A little inconsistent but the numbers keep getting there in the end, and they are nice.

9 Berkman - Huge spike across the board looks like hes hit his prime. Only a little injury problem can stop him from having his bets year ever.

10 Sizemore- HR, SB, Runs, and RBI he does it all. The average is the only thing keeping him from being higher on this list

11 Howard - Like Sizemore, average is the only category holding this beast off the top 10.

12 Hamilton- WOW. Not much to say but the 1st pick overall has finally arrived and it is nice.

13 Kinsler- Great across the board talent at a tough position, and such a young guy. Looking for big things for years to come from him.

14 Prince- Kind of a down year but talent like his doesn’t disapper, watch out for a monster second half as his team contends for the Nl Central Title

15 M-Cab- Slow start in adjusting to the AL and Detroit, but his July shows how good he can be, look for a big second half and possible return to the top 10 by years end.

16 Beltran- Keeps on truckin in a great lineup.

17 Carlos Lee- See Beltran

18 Crawford- Up and down season so far but the end result always looks nice.

19 A-Ram See no. 17/18

20 Chipper - A monster first two months is carrying his overall numbers but as long as he is injury free he is tough to beat.

21 Upton- Lack of power a little scary but if he can end up with 12-15 HR, he easily justifies top 25 status.

22 McLouth- Out of nowhere and not disappearing yet. Still young, he looks like a winner.

23 Quenti- See above.

24 Rollins- Injuries and mediocre play plop young james near the bottom of this list. Just not enough of a track record to assume he will return to top form.

25 Ad. Gonzalez- Young and good. Too bad he is in SD.

1 Santana- He is still the best.

2 Webb- A little stumble in June but is as consistent as anyone these days, and consistency rules.

3 Lincecum- The Freak is just that, and in baseball that means good.

4 Hamels- Some hard luck losses that could have been wins keep his umbers from being amazing. Still
so young and talented he is a good one to hang on to.

5 Peavy- Injury bug returning scaress a bit, have to temper expectations again.

6 Halladay - Resurgence isnt unexpected, and he has the talent to maintain for a few more years.

7 Sabathia - The league switch has been nice so far and his K rate is awesome.

8 Haren- Just needs to put a nice 2nd half together to solidify his spot here.

9 Kazmir- The lefty has his bumps but in the end he is dominant.

10 Verlander- Tough start but has been phenominal lately, right back to where he was preseason

11 Beckett- Hard to lose in Boston and he takes advantage. Nothing not to like here.

12 Volquez- Finally reaches his potential in a big way. Young kid could be a star for years to come.

13 C. Lee- Out of nowhere it’s a little hard to believe, but he even dazzled in the ASG, the guy is legit

14 Sheets- Keep the injuries away and watch him cimb this list

15 King Felix- Seattle blows but hes doing everything he can. A better team and he could be top 5.
Last edited by rjforlife on Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dclark0699 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:05 pm

Ooh Adrian Gonzalez is one I forgot about - I'd put him in over Crawford on my list.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:18 pm

Wow, no King Felix. Thats a mistak. He's only 22.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:15 pm

i dont really see the point of ranking the top 25 hitters. the fringe guys at 100-200 overall are the difficult decisions.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rjforlife » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:52 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:i dont really see the point of ranking the top 25 hitters. the fringe guys at 100-200 overall are the difficult decisions.

Why? Because a lot of leagues don’t keep the guys from 100-200 overall and it's interesting to see how high the surprises have climbed on peoples' lists (Volquez/Lee/McClouth type guys) and how far the slow starters have fallen (Fielder/Cabrera/Rollins) Not to be rude but if you don't see the point please dont post in the thread, discouraging others from putting in their opinions......
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigwords » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:30 pm

Way up: Josh Hamilton, Ian Kinsler, Carlos Quentin, Evan Longoria, Nick Markakis, Tim LIncecum

Slightly up: Grady Sizemore, Jacoby Ellsbury,, Brian McCann, Pat Burrell, James Shields, Ervin Santana, Cliff Lee, Zack Greinke

Up past their 2009 returned value: Nate McClouth, Lance Berkman, Adrian Gonzalez, Justin Morneau, Roy Halladay, Dan Uggla, Ben Sheets, Carlos Zambrano, Geovany Soto, Jay Bruce

Way down: Travis Hafner, Derek Jeter, Jeff Francoeur,

Slightly down: Alex Rios, Troy Tulowitski, Joe Mauer, Hunter Pence, Chris B Young, Brett Myers, Jarrod Saltalamacchia

Down below their 2009 returned value: Miguel Cabrera, Robinson Cano, Alex Gordon, Nick Swisher, Victor Martinez
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:15 pm

rjforlife wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:i dont really see the point of ranking the top 25 hitters. the fringe guys at 100-200 overall are the difficult decisions.

Why? Because a lot of leagues don’t keep the guys from 100-200 overall and it's interesting to see how high the surprises have climbed on peoples' lists (Volquez/Lee/McClouth type guys) and how far the slow starters have fallen (Fielder/Cabrera/Rollins) Not to be rude but if you don't see the point please dont post in the thread, discouraging others from putting in their opinions......

not to be rude either, but im voicing my opinion just like anyone else would and i don't think you have the right to tell me when and where i can post. O:-)

i would hope a simple 1 or 2 line thought wouldn't persuade others from posting in a thread. if we're ranking the top 25 hitters, what is everyone keeping? 2 players? at least a top 50 or 60 ranking would have every team keeping 4 or 5 guys, generally the minimum when talking about keeping leagues.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rjforlife » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:05 pm

Didn't mean to try and censor you, nor do I think starting a thread entitles me to moderate it. Just didn't want to have it fall flat like it did. Its probably because of the topic in the thread not your post, but I just didn't want to lose people due to negative feedback. I went with top 25 hitters and 15 pitchers because it is a reasonable amount for people to rank. It seems like if I went to 50 or more, which is what I would really like to see and like you said, probably more useful to everyone, people will shy away because it takes a fair amount of time. If you have a listing or even a link to somewhere that keeps updated keeper rankings into the 50+ range I would love to see it. Again, no hard feelings, and thanks for the follow up.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers