Dempster Windup? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dempster Windup?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Dempster Windup?

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:23 pm

i heard on one of the giants/cubs broadcasts that it was a timing mechanism... they talked about him tipping pitches as well so it could be a combination of the two
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 453)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Joe LaCock » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:44 pm

I agree that it was a little annoying at first but after watching it for awhile you don't even notice it. Whatever it does, keep it up!!
Joe LaCock
College Coach
College Coach

Postby saemick » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:06 pm

there was a Cubs.com "Mailbag" question that had this as your answer:

It's a timing device Dempster has used this season, beginning in Spring Training, and is designed more to hide his grip than fool batters.
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby NWSoxaholic » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:10 pm

I took a break from the boards for a few nights and just logged back on and was happy to see this thread. MY GOD was that annoying to watch. For some reason I couldn't even concentrate on the game- it was all just a big distraction between Dempster's glove flicking. It's probably just me, but I can't think of a more annoying baseball quirk (although Sheffield's bat wagging and Nomars 5-minute between pitch ritual are right up there..).
NWSoxaholic
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Duke7684 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:42 pm

If this is a new thing for him, how long till we see him in single A along with D-train, or straying into mediocracy like Nomo or El Duke and every other pitcher that had a gimmicky windup. Is his stuff good enough to maintain this year's perfermance? Because I imagine it will make no difference once the players get used to it. But that is just how I see it...maybe I'm wrong.
Duke7684
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DbacksRback » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:42 am

Duke7684 wrote:If this is a new thing for him, how long till we see him in single A along with D-train, or straying into mediocracy like Nomo or El Duke and every other pitcher that had a gimmicky windup. Is his stuff good enough to maintain this year's perfermance? Because I imagine it will make no difference once the players get used to it. But that is just how I see it...maybe I'm wrong.

:-? I dont think the golve flicking is as extreme as willis or el duqe's leg kicks and to answer your question yes he has good stuff. (struck out the side in the ASG) he has very good change-up. I dont know if he will be amazing but i feel he will remain an above average pitcher.

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby DbacksRback » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:45 am

acsguitar wrote:I think the batters should start tap dancing around the box when he does that

I got a good laugh out of that i pictured a batter doing an irish jig in a pitchers windup :-b

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Old_Style » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:02 am

Duke7684 wrote:If this is a new thing for him, how long till we see him in single A along with D-train, or straying into mediocracy like Nomo or El Duke and every other pitcher that had a gimmicky windup. Is his stuff good enough to maintain this year's perfermance? Because I imagine it will make no difference once the players get used to it. But that is just how I see it...maybe I'm wrong.

I wouldn't be worried about Dempster's stuff, or new found wind up.
I'd be more worried about his endurance throughout the second half of the season. He hasn't pitched this many innings since 2002.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:11 am

I don't know how on earth he can do that and still keep focused on what he's doing with his pitch. That being said, I think it would certainly give me problems if I was on the box... so I don't think its a negative from a pitching point of view.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hot4tx » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:45 am

I think hitters get used to it. Heck think about all of the distractions from the crowd and such they play with daily.

Also as far as how he can concentrate on pitching while doing that - that's exactly what he's trying to do is to divert his concentration to not tipping his pitches every time he winds up. You think about doing something out of normal for you and it forces you to think about what you're doing, instead of letting your natural tendencies show through. Kinda like when poker players have a poker face they make every time they play, that way its easier for them to avoid tipping their hands rather than just try to act "normal".
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 138)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers