Dempster Windup? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dempster Windup?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dempster Windup?

Postby Duke7684 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:57 am

Watching the ASG yesterday was the first time I've seen Dempster pitch. He kept flicking his glove back and forth in his windup and I was wondering whether it actually serves a purpose or if that is just how he always pitches or what. Anyone know? I've got to say it was one of the most annoying things I have ever seen in baseball...along with everytime I see Youkilis and have to watch him start his stance with his hand half-way up the bat and then slide it down the shaft during the delivery.
Duke7684
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 26
Joined: 14 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dempster Windup?

Postby Old_Style » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:05 am

He was told a while back that he was tipping his pitches. I guess that's how he masks it.
Image
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6885
Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: at the last neighborhood corner tavern

Re: Dempster Windup?

Postby kab21 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:08 am

If it can distract the hitter's focus it's also a positive. But it was strange.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5340
(Past Year: 162)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dempster Windup?

Postby Tavish » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:10 am

Duke7684 wrote:I've got to say it was one of the most annoying things I have ever seen in baseball...along with everytime I see Youkilis and have to watch him start his stance with his hand half-way up the bat and then slide it down the shaft during the delivery.

I'm not sure I've ever seen Youk's stance described in those terms. Not sure I want to ever see it again. :-P
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11071
(Past Year: 25)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dempster Windup?

Postby Duke7684 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:53 pm

Tavish wrote:
Duke7684 wrote:I've got to say it was one of the most annoying things I have ever seen in baseball...along with everytime I see Youkilis and have to watch him start his stance with his hand half-way up the bat and then slide it down the shaft during the delivery.

I'm not sure I've ever seen Youk's stance described in those terms. Not sure I want to ever see it again. :-P


Hmm. I guess I never really thought of it that way... but since you mention it...I always thought this was a little unsettling:

Image

Pap's hands seem a bit busy...even for a world series celebration. That coupled with Youkilis...kind of makes you wonder what might be going on in that ball club.
Duke7684
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 26
Joined: 14 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dempster Windup?

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:20 pm

Tavish wrote:
Duke7684 wrote:I've got to say it was one of the most annoying things I have ever seen in baseball...along with everytime I see Youkilis and have to watch him start his stance with his hand half-way up the bat and then slide it down the shaft during the delivery.

I'm not sure I've ever seen Youk's stance described in those terms. Not sure I want to ever see it again. :-P


Bwahahahah thats funny stuff.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Re: Dempster Windup?

Postby dclark0699 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:40 pm

Dan Wheeler is another one with ridiculous hand motions while pitching.
Image
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1775
Joined: 13 Jan 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Ohio State University

Re: Dempster Windup?

Postby Guzman24 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:21 pm

Duke7684 wrote:
Tavish wrote:
Duke7684 wrote:I've got to say it was one of the most annoying things I have ever seen in baseball...along with everytime I see Youkilis and have to watch him start his stance with his hand half-way up the bat and then slide it down the shaft during the delivery.

I'm not sure I've ever seen Youk's stance described in those terms. Not sure I want to ever see it again. :-P


Hmm. I guess I never really thought of it that way... but since you mention it...I always thought this was a little unsettling:

Image

Pap's hands seem a bit busy...even for a world series celebration. That coupled with Youkilis...kind of makes you wonder what might be going on in that ball club.


Just be happy that Papelbon has his pants on. That would look really ugly :-{
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5304
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 5 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dempster Windup?

Postby thatguy27 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:07 pm

Duke7684 wrote:Watching the ASG yesterday was the first time I've seen Dempster pitch. He kept flicking his glove back and forth in his windup and I was wondering whether it actually serves a purpose or if that is just how he always pitches or what. Anyone know? I've got to say it was one of the most annoying things I have ever seen in baseball...along with everytime I see Youkilis and have to watch him start his stance with his hand half-way up the bat and then slide it down the shaft during the delivery.


It annoyed the hell out of me too. And I imagine it does help him not to tip his pitches while simultaneously distracting the batter.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 777
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 12 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Colorado

Re: Dempster Windup?

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:51 pm

thatguy27 wrote:
Duke7684 wrote:Watching the ASG yesterday was the first time I've seen Dempster pitch. He kept flicking his glove back and forth in his windup and I was wondering whether it actually serves a purpose or if that is just how he always pitches or what. Anyone know? I've got to say it was one of the most annoying things I have ever seen in baseball...along with everytime I see Youkilis and have to watch him start his stance with his hand half-way up the bat and then slide it down the shaft during the delivery.


It annoyed the hell out of me too. And I imagine it does help him not to tip his pitches while simultaneously distracting the batter.


I think the batters should start tap dancing around the box when he does that
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact