Dempster Windup? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dempster Windup?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dempster Windup?

Postby Duke7684 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:57 am

Watching the ASG yesterday was the first time I've seen Dempster pitch. He kept flicking his glove back and forth in his windup and I was wondering whether it actually serves a purpose or if that is just how he always pitches or what. Anyone know? I've got to say it was one of the most annoying things I have ever seen in baseball...along with everytime I see Youkilis and have to watch him start his stance with his hand half-way up the bat and then slide it down the shaft during the delivery.
Duke7684
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dempster Windup?

Postby Old_Style » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:05 am

He was told a while back that he was tipping his pitches. I guess that's how he masks it.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kab21 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:08 am

If it can distract the hitter's focus it's also a positive. But it was strange.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 162)

Postby Tavish » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:10 am

Duke7684 wrote:I've got to say it was one of the most annoying things I have ever seen in baseball...along with everytime I see Youkilis and have to watch him start his stance with his hand half-way up the bat and then slide it down the shaft during the delivery.

I'm not sure I've ever seen Youk's stance described in those terms. Not sure I want to ever see it again. :-P

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Duke7684 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:53 pm

Tavish wrote:
Duke7684 wrote:I've got to say it was one of the most annoying things I have ever seen in baseball...along with everytime I see Youkilis and have to watch him start his stance with his hand half-way up the bat and then slide it down the shaft during the delivery.

I'm not sure I've ever seen Youk's stance described in those terms. Not sure I want to ever see it again. :-P

Hmm. I guess I never really thought of it that way... but since you mention it...I always thought this was a little unsettling:

Pap's hands seem a bit busy...even for a world series celebration. That coupled with Youkilis...kind of makes you wonder what might be going on in that ball club.
Duke7684
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:20 pm

Tavish wrote:

Bwahahahah thats funny stuff.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby dclark0699 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:40 pm

Dan Wheeler is another one with ridiculous hand motions while pitching.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Guzman24 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:21 pm

Duke7684 wrote:
Tavish wrote:

Hmm. I guess I never really thought of it that way... but since you mention it...I always thought this was a little unsettling:

Pap's hands seem a bit busy...even for a world series celebration. That coupled with Youkilis...kind of makes you wonder what might be going on in that ball club.

Just be happy that Papelbon has his pants on. That would look really ugly :-{
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby thatguy27 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:07 pm

Duke7684 wrote:Watching the ASG yesterday was the first time I've seen Dempster pitch. He kept flicking his glove back and forth in his windup and I was wondering whether it actually serves a purpose or if that is just how he always pitches or what. Anyone know? I've got to say it was one of the most annoying things I have ever seen in baseball...along with everytime I see Youkilis and have to watch him start his stance with his hand half-way up the bat and then slide it down the shaft during the delivery.

It annoyed the hell out of me too. And I imagine it does help him not to tip his pitches while simultaneously distracting the batter.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:51 pm

thatguy27 wrote:
Duke7684 wrote:Watching the ASG yesterday was the first time I've seen Dempster pitch. He kept flicking his glove back and forth in his windup and I was wondering whether it actually serves a purpose or if that is just how he always pitches or what. Anyone know? I've got to say it was one of the most annoying things I have ever seen in baseball...along with everytime I see Youkilis and have to watch him start his stance with his hand half-way up the bat and then slide it down the shaft during the delivery.

It annoyed the hell out of me too. And I imagine it does help him not to tip his pitches while simultaneously distracting the batter.

I think the batters should start tap dancing around the box when he does that
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers