What would be worse in an all-star game? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What would be worse in an all-star game?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What would be worse in the all-star game?

To have position pitchers pitch?
6%
To have a tie?
94%

Total votes : 48

Re: What would be worse in an all-star game?

Postby quitesanemax » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:52 pm

Chicago RedSox wrote:
It doesn't help that the fans get to vote in the players. I love Varitek as much as anyone, but he's not an All-Star. Having him out there doesn't help the Red Sox get home field advantage in the playoffs.

It might have if he had been in when Paps was in... but I get your point. The ironic thing is that he wasn't voted in by the fans... he was voted in by the players. I wonder if the AL players voted for the AL player, and the NL voted for the NL player. I would guess the answer is yes. They said that he got voted in out of respect... everyone respects him. Well, these players have to understand that respect isn't going to get them homefield advantage in the WS if they get there...
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby saemick » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:33 pm

Personally, I would have LOVED to see it go to a tie...then maybe they would resort to the team with the best record getting home-field advantage... What a novel idea, best record = home team, imagine that?!?
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Matthias » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:52 pm

saemick wrote:Personally, I would have LOVED to see it go to a tie...then maybe they would resort to the team with the best record getting home-field advantage... What a novel idea, best record = home team, imagine that?!?

That would be a novel idea since baseball has never done it that way.

Before the adoption of the ASG, "to the winner goes the spoils" home-field advantage alternated between the leagues every other year. And although in some years (say in 2001 when the Mariners won 116 games) there is a clear regular-season winner, if two teams are separated by 1 or 2 games but the team with the superior record played in a vastly inferior division, can you really say that they "deserve" home-field advantage? I'm not saying that giving the team with the best record home field is the worst idea out there, but it's not as historically or as conceptually clean as you might think it should be.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby great gretzky » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:00 pm

Last edited by great gretzky on Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby great gretzky » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:09 pm

why not have game one at a neutral site and hype the hell out of it like super bowl? You can't really save the neutral game for game 7, but a WS "kickoff" party would be pretty awesome if you ask me.

Really, there isn't a "fair" way to do it. Football has a neutral venue, so that doesn't come into play. Hoops and hockey have field/ice advantage, but at least you get a home and away game vs every team from the other conference. Baseball is between football and the others in that, its like football in that you only play your conference/league, and you play one other division outside of that. However, you need a series like the other sports, rather than one game like football.

Of course, you still have the DH vs no dh thing that way.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby quitesanemax » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:10 pm

Matthias wrote:
Before the adoption of the ASG, "to the winner goes the spoils" home-field advantage alternated between the leagues every other year. And although in some years (say in 2001 when the Mariners won 116 games) there is a clear regular-season winner, if two teams are separated by 1 or 2 games but the team with the superior record played in a vastly inferior division, can you really say that they "deserve" home-field advantage? ...

Your going to have situations like that, and you can't usually predict from year to year which divisions are going to have easy schedules. But its the only fair way to determine who should get homefield advantage. If you had a tougher division, and don't get homefield because of that, thats just bad luck. Heck, how many times have we seen a team with a better record lose homefield just because they are in the wrong division, so they only get the wildcard. Thats the way it goes.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:19 pm

Back to the substitution problem, I have an idea. Why not just use the Little League substitution rule (A player can be re-entered into the game)? That way, everybody gets to play, and guys could be re-entered if the game is close enough that the starters "should be" the guys deciding the game.... this also could have possibly helped with pitchers Tuesday night, as relievers that got one out could have come back to throw an inning or something (though I don't know how pitchers would respond to this mentally....)
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby nmarq8 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:10 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:Back to the substitution problem, I have an idea. Why not just use the Little League substitution rule (A player can be re-entered into the game)? That way, everybody gets to play, and guys could be re-entered if the game is close enough that the starters "should be" the guys deciding the game.... this also could have possibly helped with pitchers Tuesday night, as relievers that got one out could have come back to throw an inning or something (though I don't know how pitchers would respond to this mentally....)

No way that will happen - waaaaay too much risk of injury. Position players maybe, but not pitchers. There's no way you could ask an adult pitcher who has warmed up, thrown an inning, and iced to re-warmup and pitch again an hour or two later.

This will have to be addressed in the off-season. I imagine they'll include All-star alternates and/or move the game so that there are no games three days before and after so all pitchers have sufficient rest.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
nmarq8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers