What would be worse in an all-star game? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What would be worse in an all-star game?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What would be worse in the all-star game?

To have position pitchers pitch?
6%
To have a tie?
94%

Total votes : 48

Re: What would be worse in an all-star game?

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:27 pm

If a Yankee has to pitch, then tie.

If not, let players pitch!
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby byfrcp » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:28 pm

A tie would be much worse.

I imagine that starting next year managers won't be so eager to try to get every pitcher in the game. Cliff Lee only threw 20 pitches in 2 innings as the starter. He could have at least gone another inning and then give another starter 2 innings. A third starter 1 inning. Now you're left with the 7th, 8th and 9th for relievers and if the game goes to extras you still have starting pitchers left.
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby thedude » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:01 pm

byfrcp wrote:A tie would be much worse.

I imagine that starting next year managers won't be so eager to try to get every pitcher in the game. Cliff Lee only threw 20 pitches in 2 innings as the starter. He could have at least gone another inning and then give another starter 2 innings. A third starter 1 inning. Now you're left with the 7th, 8th and 9th for relievers and if the game goes to extras you still have starting pitchers left.

The problem was that Francona used K-Rod for 1 batter and Kazmir could only go 1 inning. every pitcher should be able to go for 2 innings in the game, if they pitched on Sunday they should still be allowed to go to the game and take part in festivities, but be replaced on the active roster by guys who can pitch.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby DbacksRback » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:55 am

I wish ankiel was there with the possibility :-? :-b That would of been a big story

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby abrage22 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:24 am

I think it'd actually be very entertaining watching a position player pitch, i'd be up for it ;-7
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:47 am

Personally, I'd love to see position players pitch an inning or two. Imagine what a riot it would be to see David Wright pitch to Manny Ramirez. Anything but a tie game, would be fine. Make Bob Gibson pitch an inning, just don't end the game in a tie again.
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby J35J » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:12 am

There is NNOOOooooooo reason why a position player would ever need to pitch. The game could go 20+ innings and it still shouldn't need to be an option. Stop pitching Starters 1 inning at a time and this isn't an issue. You should have a couple of starters and a couple of relievers be there still after the 9th inning if need be. Each team has 12 pitchers, no reason at all you should run out of options!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby Matthias » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:30 am

J35J wrote:There is NNOOOooooooo reason why a position player would ever need to pitch. The game could go 20+ innings and it still shouldn't need to be an option. Stop pitching Starters 1 inning at a time and this isn't an issue. You should have a couple of starters and a couple of relievers be there still after the 9th inning if need be. Each team has 12 pitchers, no reason at all you should run out of options!

The managers have obviously shifted a little bit in their thinking since the ASG in Milwaukee, but still no All Star wants to travel to the game just to sign autographs.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby J35J » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:41 am

Matthias wrote:
J35J wrote:There is NNOOOooooooo reason why a position player would ever need to pitch. The game could go 20+ innings and it still shouldn't need to be an option. Stop pitching Starters 1 inning at a time and this isn't an issue. You should have a couple of starters and a couple of relievers be there still after the 9th inning if need be. Each team has 12 pitchers, no reason at all you should run out of options!

The managers have obviously shifted a little bit in their thinking since the ASG in Milwaukee, but still no All Star wants to travel to the game just to sign autographs.

Tough, is this still an exhibition or does it mean something? I'm of the belief that it means something, always thought it did though.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby quitesanemax » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:57 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:If a Yankee has to pitch, then tie.

If not, let players pitch!

Nice to see some honesty. Lol.

But its true, we'd all love to see a position player pitch, as long as the player doesn't get injured, and even then, as long as he isn't on the team we root for... or our fantasy team. JD probably would have blown out that bad shoulder of his if he had tried to pitch. Heck, it happens to pitchers who keep themselves in shape to pitch. In the old days, when players weren't pampered like little babies, maybe then it would be okay to put a position player in there... but today's players aren't designed for it.

Not only am I in the extreme minority of those who would rather see a tie, because no matter what meaning MLB tries to put into the game -WS home field and all - the All Star game is meaningless, and you don't want to see someone get injured in the game. But I say that when Bud Selig saw Brandon Webb come out to pitch on 2 days rest, he should have called the game.

People say that Francona blew it by for putting pitchers in there for 1 inning, but you know what they say about 20/20. If he had put Lee in for 3 innings, and then two other starters in for 2 innings, and then the game goes 9 innings, fans of the teams that had players that didn't get to play would be up in arms about that, so there was really no way for Francona to please everyone. Likely the game wasn't going to go into extra innings, so percentages are with a manager when he does what Francona did.

One article I read suggested that the MLB make it a rule that you have to have one pitcher pitch 3 innings, and another 2 pitching 2 innings. I think thats a good idea. Furthermore, I think there should be players that are on the starting team, and players that are reserves, and those who are on the starting team should play, while those that are reserves should only play if necessary later in the game, or if someone gets injured. Then the reserves can serve their purpose. Then, if people want to complain about some players not getting to play, they can blame the rules, and not the manager.

Ironically, when I looked at the rosters, position players had starters, and reserve... Pitching, which probably needed to have reserves, didn't. It just had a list of pitchers that were in the All Star game.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers