What would be worse in an all-star game? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What would be worse in an all-star game?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What would be worse in the all-star game?

To have position pitchers pitch?
6%
To have a tie?
94%

Total votes : 48

What would be worse in an all-star game?

Postby thedude » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:23 am

Outfielder J.D. Drew, who smacked a two-run homer before being named MVP of the All-Star Game, may have been needed as an emergency pitcher if Tuesday's 15-inning marathon had gone on much longer.
American League manager Terry Francona conceded that with his pitching resources all-but exhausted, Drew was in his thoughts for a spell on the mound.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/feedarticle/7655135

“But if they told me to do it, that’s what I would have done,” added Drew, who said he last pitched in a game in high school. “I’d have thrown some stuff up there. But it wouldn’t have been very pretty, that’s for sure.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/base ... ion=recent

"I spoke to David Wright," said Hurdle. "I told David, `You were the last pick [on the roster]. I went and got you. Have you ever pitched in an All-Star Game?'

"I said, `You wanted to be in this thing. That's all I've read, all I've heard, for the last three days. Well, you won't believe how much you might be in it here real quick.'"

It was at that point that Wright realized what was happening here. If Lidge ran out of steam sometime before dawn, he might really find himself pitching. In an All-Star Game.

In his actual lifetime.

"I told him I was ready," Wright reported. "I was just hoping to get one out, so I'd have an ERA in the All-Star Game."

Thinking back on his pitching career, Wright concluded that the last time he'd pitched was "probably Little League." And was he any good? "Well," he replied, "I'm not a pitcher now. Am I?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar08 ... id=3491429

The all-star game could have come down to Drew and Wright on the mound. :-o
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What would be worse in an all-star game?

Postby DSheppard » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:30 am

players pitching makes a mockery of "it counts", but no less so than a tie.
and its faaaaaaaaaaar more entertaining.

I would have enjoyed pitchers pitching. although I'm disappointed it was JD Drew who would have thrown, and not Hamilton who threw 95 in high school :-°
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:31 am

A tie would be much worse. There are no ties in baseball.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 451)

Postby NorthSider2 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:32 am

I voted tie. That would be awful like a couple years ago. It would be cool to see Drew pitch. Its the All-Star game and they would never have a chance to do that so i would like to watch that
Thanks to soty for the sweet sig

Go Cubs
NorthSider2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thedude » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:37 am

DSheppard wrote:I would have enjoyed pitchers pitching. although I'm disappointed it was JD Drew who would have thrown, and not Hamilton who threw 95 in high school :-°

Hamilton had already been pulled at that point. Besides i am sure Francona is a lot more comfortable using one his guys that way in case he blows his arm out (ex: how angry would TB be if Navarro hurt his arm because francona asked him to pitch). That is the same reason that Hurdle was willing to let Cook pitch 3 innings.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thejusman1 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:54 am

A tie would definitely be worse. At least with position players pitching, the game continues. It's a joke afterwards, but hey, it'd be a blast to watch.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Matthias » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:24 am

I don't see how it would've been cataclysmic in any way. Position players do pitch from time to time in regular games... in the NFL you'll occasionally see some D-Back or what not pulled over to punting or kicking duties if their regular guy gets injured.

But weren't the benches depleted, or at least the AL one? So if they had JD Drew pitch, then I guess the pitcher would've played right? That's the more interesting bit to it, I think.

As an aside, I never realized Wade Boggs had pitched an inning.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Marrakesh Express » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:34 am

All the NL had to do was keep Brian Wilson in for one more out and the game was over. Bring in Lidge and shut the door. Thanks to Billy Wagner for blowing another game. And ties are the worst, especially in the All-Star Game. It would have been all over for bud if it would have tied.
Marrakesh Express
College Coach
College Coach

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:39 pm

I wish Ichiro was still in the game he woulda been awesome!! He throws 120 mph FACT!!!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby thedude » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:23 pm

Matthias wrote:But weren't the benches depleted, or at least the AL one? So if they had JD Drew pitch, then I guess the pitcher would've played right? That's the more interesting bit to it, I think.

If you put JD on the mound, you move Longoria from DH to right and thereby lose the DH (so Kazmir can go to the bench and not play the field).
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers